Its Winter Hack time again and as you can imagine I`ve spent the last few weeks scouring the internet for something suitable that fits my criteria. Namely a big fairing, heated grips, comfortable , preferably not boring and under £2k. Previous hacks have included an 1100 Moto Guzzi Breva which was brilliant, a BMW R1100RS which was good, a BMW F800 which was ok and last years Aprilia Futura which failed on the not boring test.
This year I had my eyes on a local ST4S which looked lovely in yellow and had panniers to boot. I intended to bid on Ebay in the last minute but a sudden lack of WiFi ruined that for me so I missed out and it went for just £1650. Bargain for the lucky new owner !
Not to worry team as instead I have picked up what appears to be a very good Aprilia Caponord 1200 which fits the bill apart from sadly being over my £2k budget. Never mind 4 out of 5 isn`t bad . Its a 2014 bike and comes with the travel pack which includes luggage and electric suspension . I`ve managed to squeeze 300 or so miles into the last 10 days between work and bad weather and so far so very good . Really comfortable , quick enough for me without being scary and definitely not boring.
The only bad point is that the fairing , despite being huge, always diverts wind at my crash helmet regardless of adjustment. I have now fitted a Palmer Products frame which moves the fairing further away from me and bingo , its almost perfect now.
View attachment 88399
View attachment 88400