Winter hack suggestions

Is that perhaps the mount for a bmw nav6 thingy or what ever they are called? BMW’s own Garmin thing with buttons to switch on your bmw fog lights etc?
Its a cradle mount for a garmin or BMW nav V, nav VI are different, I happened upon a nav V and bought a NOS cradle just like that one to fit on big Sonja. The buttons are for nav screen, zoom in/out, backlight and menu
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-09 at 20.33.10_19e3c59e.webp
 
Dull doesn’t even scratch the surface. I had an F800GT when I came back ti bikes…thought I’d be sensible…something I could enjoy pottering and maybe tour on. That was in October - I swapped it in December for a Supersport.

It was so tediously dull…if I’d not had bikes in the past I probably would’ve sold it never to get another.

I’m going ti make a coffee now, and that will provide more thrills than anyone has ever had on an F800.

Anyway, enjoy! 🤣
 
Dull doesn’t even scratch the surface. I had an F800GT when I came back ti bikes…thought I’d be sensible…something I could enjoy pottering and maybe tour on. That was in October - I swapped it in December for a Supersport.

It was so tediously dull…if I’d not had bikes in the past I probably would’ve sold it never to get another.

I’m going ti make a coffee now, and that will provide more thrills than anyone has ever had on an F800.

Anyway, enjoy! 🤣
Shall i put you down as a maybe when i sell it in Spring then?
 
If only you weren't so far away I'd bring it to you for servicing. You don't collect and deliver do you?
I think you’d have to cover the Monster in road salt and battery acid, then leave it outside for a few months before WCP would consider accepting that for a service. Every weekend you could go out and round off a few bolt heads, and drill out some cap heads.
 
If only you weren't so far away I'd bring it to you for servicing. You don't collect and deliver do you?
I do actually, yes 👍 Do you want me to work out a quote? Might cost more than you paid for the bike though 🤣.

I think you’d have to cover the Monster in road salt and battery acid, then leave it outside for a few months before WCP would consider accepting that for a service. Every weekend you could go out and round off a few bolt heads, and drill out some cap heads.
You don’t know how true that is 😕. I’ve a Honda CBR400RR with me at present which spends its life outdoors. I had to cut the glide pin in the front right caliper to be able to remove the pads to service the pistons and replace the pads. The glide pin was, still is, seized solid 😞. Couldn’t be removed at all, not even drilled out. Ended up having to buy a replacement caliper 😕.

We really really ought to have MoTs on bikes here.

IMG_7892.webp
 
I do actually, yes 👍 Do you want me to work out a quote? Might cost more than you paid for the bike though 🤣.


You don’t know how true that is 😕. I’ve a Honda CBR400RR with me at present which spends its life outdoors. I had to cut the glide pin in the front right caliper to be able to remove the pads to service the pistons and replace the pads. The glide pin was, still is, seized solid 😞. Couldn’t be removed at all, not even drilled out. Ended up having to buy a replacement caliper 😕.

We really really ought to have MoTs on bikes here.

View attachment 122826
Melt a candle in it, fly out I tells ye 🤣
 
According to faceache you just warm anything up thats stuck and let a candle or wax crayon melt into the stuck part and i comes out no bother.

Can't say I'm convinced and would rather use a grinder 🤣
I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or genuine, thanks for the tip. However, an eductaed guess says it won't work, the viscosity of the melted wax being too low and fully penetrate as a penetrating oil does.

Incidentally, I did try heat, got the MAP torch on the caliper, didn't work :(. Waiting for teh replacement (2nd hand) caliper now.
 
I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or genuine, thanks for the tip. However, an eductaed guess says it won't work, the viscosity of the melted wax being too low and fully penetrate as a penetrating oil does.

Incidentally, I did try heat, got the MAP torch on the caliper, didn't work :(. Waiting for teh replacement (2nd hand) caliper now.
Yeah, I was being a bit cynical 🤣 if heat doesn't work then I can't see wax helping 👍
 
I find that if heat doesn’t work then you need more heat.
Normally I would agree but as it was the caliper itself I was heating up I didn’t want to take it too far in case the piston chambers distorted irrevocably. It was beginning to catch fire in places as it was 😮.

Anyway, it’s a pile of rusty shite and as the replacement only cost €30 + €7 delivery there comes a point where one has to bite the bullet and accept it’s cheaper to replace than spend time trying to repair.

BTW how’s the Bumpkin multi coming on?
 
@West Cork Paul The bumpkin Multi is now a pile of pieces There are a lot of very useful spares. The only part I have yet to dismantle is the steering head nut. We (my son) will make a pin spanner on the milling machine for that job.
Then I'll make up a test bed to see if we can make the engine run with its loom etc. before we commit to the next bit. Like you I'm not short of things to do, which is good.
 
I took the bike for a little ride yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it was surprisingly pleasant. Not exciting in any way but perfect for pottering somewhere for breakfast every now and then over the winter. Very impressed with the belt drive which made me wonder why there are not more belt drive bikes around.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20241110_101523.webp
    IMG_20241110_101523.webp
    221.3 KB · Views: 244
I took the bike for a little ride yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it was surprisingly pleasant. Not exciting in any way but perfect for pottering somewhere for breakfast every now and then over the winter. Very impressed with the belt drive which made me wonder why there are not more belt drive bikes around.
I wondered the same thing when I had my Harley. Silent, clean, saps very little power and virtually maintenance free.
Belts and pulleys are destroyed by stones and debris so they're not suited to off-roaders or bikes with long travel suspension as they require a more constant tension than a chain, but I don't see why they can't be used on more roadsters, nakeds and sports bikes. Provided you don't want to play with final drive ratios by changing sprockets.
After the Harley I'd definitely have another belt-driven bike. That bike had 125 ft/lb of torque and the belt handled it easily and very smoothly. I doubt a chain would have lasted a fraction of the mileage.
 
Back
Top Bottom