WAW BBQ

Just to get to wherever the meet in Belfast, from Dublin, will be worth getting the Garmin for. And in France it won't hurt, although I'm quite good at France.

Just a bit of fun, really, as I'm quite confident that I could do the whole thing, including France, without a Garmin, but I like to have something to swear at, and blame, for all of the trip's problems. Isn't that what they are for?
I have a vague recollection of a thread, well several threads and loads of posts along the lines of

ā€œGarmin is shit - don’t get oneā€

ā€œTom-Tom is even shitter, don’t botherā€

ā€œNo, Garmin is the shittiestā€.

iirc that’s why you ditched Amazon because the Sat Navs they kept sending you were shit, as if it were their fault.

If you intend to go to France afterwards, and you can go from Cork as you’ve discovered, then yes one may help (although I think you’ll be immensely frustrated and disappointed for a SatNav is only as good as the information put into it and your patience may not extend that far - still that will make for a few entertaining threads). To get here, you don’t need it. Once here, you don’t need it, I’ll give you directions from Rosslare or Dublin to Belfast šŸ‘
 
I have a vague recollection of a thread, well several threads and loads of posts along the lines of

ā€œGarmin is shit - don’t get oneā€

ā€œTom-Tom is even shitter, don’t botherā€

ā€œNo, Garmin is the shittiestā€.

iirc that’s why you ditched Amazon because the Sat Navs they kept sending you were shit, as if it were their fault.

If you intend to go to France afterwards, and you can go from Cork as you’ve discovered, then yes one may help (although I think you’ll be immensely frustrated and disappointed for a SatNav is only as good as the information put into it and your patience may not extend that far - still that will make for a few entertaining threads). To get here, you don’t need it. Once here, you don’t need it, I’ll give you directions from Rosslare or Dublin to Belfast šŸ‘
:unsure: Directions
374A46FB-757F-48CA-9039-B08FB04B7882.gif
 
Just to get to wherever the meet in Belfast, from Dublin, will be worth getting the Garmin for. And in France it won't hurt, although I'm quite good at France.

Just a bit of fun, really, as I'm quite confident that I could do the whole thing, including France, without a Garmin, but I like to have something to swear at, and blame, for all of the trip's problems. Isn't that what they are for?
 
Look! It's just a bit of fun! I may not need it, use it, believe it, or trust it! I don't care! Maybe, it doesn't speak Orrrrish?

And the important thing is to get the Ducati ST3 back on the road, and my leg strong enough to ride it! Nufffing else matters!

You do realise that this gig will cost me thousands? If the other side hear that I am back to riding big Ducatis on international tours, their reaction will be, "Look, no harm done! Feckin waster. Your compo isn't worth a free breakfast!".

Not that I give a shit!
 
Look! It's just a bit of fun! I may not need it, use it, believe it, or trust it! I don't care! Maybe, it doesn't speak Orrrrish?

And the important thing is to get the Ducati ST3 back on the road, and my leg strong enough to ride it! Nufffing else matters!

You do realise that this gig will cost me thousands? If the other side hear that I am back to riding big Ducatis on international tours, their reaction will be, "Look, no harm done! Feckin waster. Your compo isn't worth a free breakfast!".

Not that I give a shit!
I can assure you it is very easy to find the Falls Road in Belfast from Dublin without a Sat Nav, you'll be fine

 
Look! It's just a bit of fun! I may not need it, use it, believe it, or trust it! I don't care! Maybe, it doesn't speak Orrrrish?

And the important thing is to get the Ducati ST3 back on the road, and my leg strong enough to ride it! Nufffing else matters!

You do realise that this gig will cost me thousands? If the other side hear that I am back to riding big Ducatis on international tours, their reaction will be, "Look, no harm done! Feckin waster. Your compo isn't worth a free breakfast!".

Not that I give a shit!

Did you say you might be interested in one of these? Good review...

 
I bet you all thought I'd forgotten about this didn't you?

Well I hadn't, I just had to wait until the NW200 dates were set so I/we didn't clash with that. The NW200 is 9/5 - 13/5 so we'll probably be starting Sun 21st May which means the week runs into the UK bank holiday on Mon 29th May which gives those that work office hours an extra day.

A rough route is :

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 12.48.51.png


It's a long way to do in a week and we'll have to do about 250km/156miles per day. That may not sound a lot but you're average speed will be 50-60Kmh so it's 4-5hrs saddle time per day. Now that will be split up with stops for photos, lunch, coffee/tea etc so it's all going to be done in bite size pieces of maybe 90-120 mins max at any one time.

The outline itinerary is :

Day One
Whitehead to Letterkenny via Causeway Coast, 2 laps of NW200 Circuit, Malin Head & Mamore Gap
5hrs 2mins (plus ferry time) 269KM/168 miles
Sun night - Letterkenny

Day Two
Letterkenny to Sligo via N56 and Glencolumbkille.
4hrs 6 mins, 253Km
Mon night - Sligo/Rosses Point

Day Three
Sligo/Rosses Point to Westport via N59, Bangor Erris and Keem Bay, Achill
3hrs 58 mins 244Km
Tue night - Westport

Day Four
Westport to Lahinch via Louisburgh, Doolough Valley, then through Connemara NP on N67 then the coast road from Ballyvaughan via Doolin
4hrs 49 mins 247Km
Wed night - Lahinch

Day Five
Lahinch to Dingle via Tarbert Ferry inc Connor Pass and Slea Head drive
4hrs 30mins (plus ferry time), 250km
Thurs night - Dingle

Day Six
Dingle to Schull via Gap of Dunloe, Killarney NP, Lough Guitane, Kilgarven, Healy Pass, Goat Pass
5hrs 3 mins, 248km
Fri night - Schull

There are deviations that can be taken on each day that will add or take away from the times/distances above which gives some flexibility depending how we all get on and the weather on the day.

I'll make some enquiries of hotels en-route and will post those up so people can book directly with them. If anyone wants to camp then let me know and I'll take that into consideration.

If anyone want's camp in Schull you can do so FOC at mine.

There are 2 bedrooms available in the Guest House at mine for the night(s) in Schull which are available FOC to anyone who's been on a tour with me before (y), on a first come first serve basis.

If I can get an idea of numbers that would be great - unless everyone's got cold feet over the last few months.
 
Last edited:
I wanna go, but I cannot commit until I get my ST3 back on the road and know that I can handle its weight,

My plan is to ferry over to Dublin from Holyhead and then bimble up North over two or three days.

My sorta plan is to be able to give a straight answer by end of January. Then do lots of practice on the ST3 in the meantime - maybe oil & filter plus other shit.

If I can take my KTM then I can be a bit more definite, but it takes no luggage!
 
I wanna go, but I cannot commit until I get my ST3 back on the road and know that I can handle its weight,

My plan is to ferry over to Dublin from Holyhead and then bimble up North over two or three days.

My sorta plan is to be able to give a straight answer by end of January. Then do lots of practice on the ST3 in the meantime - maybe oil & filter plus other shit.

If I can take my KTM then I can be a bit more definite, but it takes no luggage!
Take the KTM, Paul has found plenty of underwear over the last year or two to donate when you get there :) (y)
 
I'll check dates - and I'll need to buy a bike - I've not had a back spasm since last month so hopefully that's the end of them šŸ‘

Haha Pass -that sounds like a laugh.
 
If have an ST2 that is free to borrow. You just need to do the valve shim check, of pay to have it done! It has hard panniers, but just needs the valve check finished!
 
  • Thanks
Reactions: Dox
The Cairnryan to Larrne ferry looks like a good option

View attachment 70167
The alternative for you would be the overnight Birkenhead to Belfast sailing. It leaves B’head at 22.30 and arrives Belfast about 06.45. If you book a cabin it helps you avoid all the Travellers that seem to always be on that crossing šŸ˜•.

FYI everyone, the plan is you make your own way to the Belfast area and just need to turn up at the designated place for 09.00 on Sunday 21/5.

I’m presently working on what Dinner/Bed/Breakfast deals I can get en-route for a group booking and will report back with those as soon as I’ve got confirmation of prices.
 
Last edited:
WCP, I’m watching a couple riding the WAW on YouTube (but they’re doing it clockwise) their channel is called ā€˜Midlife Motorcycle Diaries’; not only do they tour around, they recommend and rate places to stop and eat and may be worth a watch if you’re looking for any ideas...
 
Right - I've booked out that week from work.

Next - series of appointents with chiropractor end Feb...if no back issues after that.

Then - buy a bike....Perry what did you decide on?

Top of the list is a Supersport S...wish I'd never sold mine.
It will probably be my ST3.

I was seriously thinking of getting a Supersport S until I saw on one the flesh, at Riders. Much too hunched up for me to cope with because of my injuries!
 
Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Dox
Back
Top Bottom