Should it be illegal to ride without the correct gear on?

fergie and I have often talked about this. The bottom line is this, as an individual you MUST take reasonable precautions, for example leaving the keys in your car, car running, while you finish a cuppa on a cold day is NOT a reasonable precaution - neither is riding a bike with jeans and trainers.

I have done it, I do it OFTEN. Jump on the D16RR into Glasgow, jeans, boots and jacket, I then kid myself on that I won't drive fast - anything over 10mph and I'm getting skin grafts... that's an absolute FACT.

If you go on a track, ANY track, it's full gear, leathers, boots, gloves etc. Then chances are you drive just as fast on a good ride out.... so WHY the difference.

If you drive a bike without the gear (like me sometimes !!) then you are taking a HUGE RISK... why should the NHS pick up that tab ???? Why should Paraletic be forced to pick up your remains.

I have to say, I think you should BY LAW be forced to wear a minimum standard of clothing.

2p

When I was young and stupid (and only the former has changed) I was on my old XS following a mate who fell off his RD250 at less 30mph - he was wearing helmet, bikey boots, jeans, and a decent leather jacket ..... his head, torso, arms, and feet were alright but, despite only skidding about 30 ft, well, lets say the saying 'bones of yer ar5e' took on a new meaning ..... and from that day, I think I have risked wearing non-protective gear on no more than a couple of occasions.

I was lucky, me mate was not, and literally bears the scars to this day ....

OK, if it's confession time, forgive me Gizmo for I have sinned....

MANY years ago when I was young and stupid :rolleyes: I had a Kawasaki 1000RX (before the original ZX10) - flying machine.

This was maybe 1988-89 ??? Cracking summer, absolute BELTER. Me and Dr Bob jumped on the RX and shot off down to Largs - 100+ T-Shirt, shorts and trainers. Don't want to think about that.

But then of course HOLIDAY MODE. 3 Years ago, went to Rhodes (love Rhodes) and hired a Harley. T-Shirt and shorts and off we went. North of the island - trundling along I see a "thing" flying towards me - the biggest wasp I have EVER SEEN. It flies right up the shorts and stings me BIG TIME on the @rse. Emergency stop, screaming in agony, and there's Dr Bob unable to move for laughing...

Safety gear gets my VOTE...

But wait till the summer arrives and we're roasting in leathers again....

OK, if it's confession time, forgive me Gizmo for I have sinned....

MANY years ago when I was young and stupid :rolleyes: I had a Kawasaki 1000RX (before the original ZX10) - flying machine.

This was maybe 1988-89 ??? Cracking summer, absolute BELTER. Me and Dr Bob jumped on the RX and shot off down to Largs - 100+ T-Shirt, shorts and trainers. Don't want to think about that.

But then of course HOLIDAY MODE. 3 Years ago, went to Rhodes (love Rhodes) and hired a Harley. T-Shirt and shorts and off we went. North of the island - trundling along I see a "thing" flying towards me - the biggest wasp I have EVER SEEN. It flies right up the shorts and stings me BIG TIME on the @rse. Emergency stop, screaming in agony, and there's Dr Bob unable to move for laughing...

Safety gear gets my VOTE...

But wait till the summer arrives and we're roasting in leathers again....

:D although I'd think many of us rode bikes in our younger days in shorts/t shirt, i know i did when i was 17/18 and like you Stuart me and Linzi always used to hire motorbikes, usually big trail bikes if we were in Greece which we did a lot in late 80's/90's. I can recall one holiday, we would kit up to go mountain biking in the morning, gloves, helmets etc do our ride come back then go out off road on the motorbike with shorts/t shirt on no gloves or helmets :eek:, always used to ride very carefully but it didn't alter the fact that we'd have both lost a bit of skin if we did have an off.

Many sports carry risk, as a cyclist road and mountain you have to make decisions on protective gear, I always wear a helmet off road, never on, can't stand the weight on me neck in the riding position a road bike puts me in.

I can't work out what will happen when they deem cycling to be an accident risk yet promote it as a means to good health :D

We have restrictions placed on us in cars etc by having to wear a seat belt.

We have to wear a helmet on a bike, it's just one small step from full protective clothing.

Assuming you have a minimum safety standard applying to clothing (would Draggin jeans etc be deemed to be an adequate standard?) is it going to make much, if any, difference to the number of biking fatalities?
Can see that abrasion type injuries will be reduced but will it reduce the chances of breaking your spine or neck if you come off?

I tend to wear an (expensive) open faced helmet which I know is less safe than a full face and yet I own 3 full face lids. I know the risks and choose to accept them. I don't ride any slower than with a full face because if I did I would stop moving completely!:lol2:

And whilst playing Devil's Advocate is there a difference between someone choosing to take part in a "dangerous" activity with/without safety gear and burdening the NHS with costs if they come a cropper and someone going out on a Friday night to get drunk and falls and breaks an arm or falls under a car?
How about someone that falls in snow/slush because they were walking along the pavement in flat soled shoes?

All could be deemed to be reckless and not taking preventative measures.

Where would you draw the line?

There's the other side to having to pay a premium to the NHS for participating in "risky" sports. The government could divert some of the Billions they are spending fighting 2 wars, bailing out the banks etc. Lets face it, most of us pay tax in many forms but have no say in where its spent.

There is no excuse for the state of the NHS and the education service in this..the 4th richest country in the world.

So should gramps on his Cub90 of 16yr olds on 'peds be wearing leathers too? think motorcycling my start to die out if thats the case, yes when we progress to big fast bikes we become more aware of the dangers, often thru experience and will get the appropriate gear to suit. 16yr olds arent likely to want to get into the biking lark if the clothing cost as much, if not more than their first bike? I occasionally wear t-shirt and jeans to nip up to the shopping centre to avoid traffic, i would take the car if it was law to wear leathers as I wouldn't want to be going round shopping centre in all my clobber.

there is a an EN standard for motorcycle protection, http://www.pva-ppe.org.uk/standards.htm#EuropeanStandardsformotorcyclists has a lot of detail on it and it would be very easy to implement a law that required motorcyclists to wear EN approved clothing on every journey :( You may find that eventually its the EU that dictates policy, they've regulated bike design for many years and probably have their eye on bike riders next...

Gaz, one can argue where money should be spent but you do have a say, you elect MP's based upon their parties fiscal policies, how effective that is one copuld question :)The reality is we simply aren't paying enough tax to cover the costs of the services we need. The governments latest round of borrowing is an attempt to stop our economy collapsing, the price of it isn't being paid now, we've got that to come and when it does you'll see some big cut backs in what can be provided by the state unless we all start paying more.

If unemployment continues to rise ( can't work out why i typed "if" there) income from tax reduces further and there'll be more spending cut backs as they throw every available penny into trying to get the economy going again and they'll do anything they can to force things like health and education to private sector just to save money, bikers and other risk takers will simply become a source of revenue for the health insurers :(

So should gramps on his Cub90 of 16yr olds on 'peds be wearing leathers too? think motorcycling my start to die out if thats the case, yes when we progress to big fast bikes we become more aware of the dangers, often thru experience and will get the appropriate gear to suit. 16yr olds arent likely to want to get into the biking lark if the clothing cost as much, if not more than their first bike? I occasionally wear t-shirt and jeans to nip up to the shopping centre to avoid traffic, i would take the car if it was law to wear leathers as I wouldn't want to be going round shopping centre in all my clobber.

you are too young to remember compulsory helmet wearing Steve, I was 15 I think when they introduced it, ready to get me first ped and it didn't stop you wanting a bike :)

These threads are great, because whether you agree or disagree, you're RIGHT. I think we live in a nanny state as is, the do-gooders have taken over the asylum and I for one am sick of it - riot in the streets I say, ride as you please and to heck with more interfering laws in our lives....

But then again we must be responsible for our own well being (to a degree), being ex RAF at Lossie it annoyed me SO MUCH when 137 was scrambled to go and get some idiot off the Cuillins with nothing more than trainers and a cool looking jacket.... that's irresponsible. BUT is it any different to climbing on a 180hp superbike and blasting off with nothing more than 2mm of cloth between you and the Queens Highway ???? I don't think there is.

I would not be surprised if more insurers are going to make it a policy warranty... that way it won't be law, you just run the risk of not being covered.

Another trip over.

Well thats me packed ready to come home.
The compulsory/mandatory Hard Hat, safety glasses, ear defenders,coveralls, safety boots, safety harness & inertia reel stored away.
Tomorrow is the compulsory dry suit & lifejacket to fly home in.
Then its into the car & put my compulsory seat belt on to get back to Dundee.
Then hopefully on Friday I will be wearing my "VOLUNTARY" but necessery Sidi Boots, leather sand Aria & battering the 848 through the Sma Glen. Hope the weather is fine.:D :D :D

Well thats me packed ready to come home.
The compulsory/mandatory Hard Hat, safety glasses, ear defenders,coveralls, safety boots, safety harness & inertia reel stored away.
Tomorrow is the compulsory dry suit & lifejacket to fly home in.
Then its into the car & put my compulsory seat belt on to get back to Dundee.
Then hopefully on Friday I will be wearing my "VOLUNTARY" but necessery Sidi Boots, leather sand Aria & battering the 848 through the Sma Glen. Hope the weather is fine.:D :D :D

As Mad Dash says below I can see it being phased in on your policy in the near future. As I had said previously. I would rather buy new leathers than have some nurse try & scrap some road rash off ma butt. AAAGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, after lowsiding the 749 in @@@@ing Princes Street of all places yesterday.......:eek: :eek: .......I can safely say that Replay jeans offer no protection whatsoever to my wee right knee

Well, after lowsiding the 749 in @@@@ing Princes Street of all places yesterday.......:eek: :eek: .......I can safely say that Replay jeans offer no protection whatsoever to my wee right knee

Poor Davie. Hope you're not too badly hurt.:hug:

How's the bike? If it's cosmetic damage you could take the opportunity to get it resprayed in a proper colour like....

RED

hope you're OK Davie... but to come off on Princes Street man, how uncool was that... sheesh !!! Bet that really nice looking girl that you were watching just seconds before saw the whole thing :rolleyes: ;) :D

Well, after lowsiding the 749 in @@@@ing Princes Street of all places yesterday....... .......I can safely say that Replay jeans offer no protection whatsoever to my wee right knee

What a place to bin it :eek: Hope you and the bike are ok......not to bad.

I know, pretty embarrassing!

The thing just went away from me, all in slow motion, was only doing 10 15 miles an hour.

Damage to bike is not much, need a new rearset and some indicator lenses.

Damage to me.....1 skinned right knee and Ive popped my @@@@ing back picking the @@@@ up!

I know, pretty embarrassing!

The thing just went away from me, all in slow motion, was only doing 10 15 miles an hour.

Damage to bike is not much, need a new rearset and some indicator lenses.

Damage to me.....1 skinned right knee and Ive popped my @@@@ing back picking the @@@@ up!

ahhhhh - I hadn't realised it was on Princes Street Davie ..you kept that we bit quiet to begin with ;) :rolleyes: Hope the skint knee has plaster on it and getting better now:)

getting back to the debate then yes, guilty as charged with riding in shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, and baseball cap too while abroad (lots of protection there eh:eek: ) but it is my choice. In this country I have the protective jeans but always prefer my leathers and the full kit on .... again my choice and not the nanny states choice!

ahhhhh - I hadn't realised it was on Princes Street Davie ..you kept that we bit quiet to begin with ;) :rolleyes: Hope the skint knee has plaster on it and getting better now:)

getting back to the debate then yes, guilty as charged with riding in shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, and baseball cap too while abroad (lots of protection there eh:eek: ) but it is my choice. In this country I have the protective jeans but always prefer my leathers and the full kit on .... again my choice and not the nanny states choice!

i quite like you in leather as well:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

After reading all the warming, re-assuring threads about crashing at the hairpin et al on the SDC Track Night thread, I am now thinking of purchasing a Level 2 backprotector or upgrading existing HG hiprotech built in protector in my jacket.

I read somewhere that most serious back injuries are from twisting (well crashing first causing the twisting) which back protectors can't stop but I'm working on the basis you can't have enough.

The Forcefield ProL2 seems highly recommended (as it appears is not crashing at Knockhill).

Comments or experiences of back protectors?

It wasn't on the slippery tram lines was it?????:lol2:

on the original topic, I'm all for fredom of choice....

My choice would be, if going on a fast run, wear the gear. if just going around town then wear what you like. :lol2:

Why should we be forced to wear more gear than a cyclist has to when only going at the same speeds?

(light blue touch paper...stand well back)

I would vote for the fredom of choice on helmets for the same reasons, your much more aware of your surroundings and able to look in all directions in town when not wearing a helmet.

It wasn't on the slippery tram lines was it?????:lol2:

It was at the junction with Charlotte Square and Princes St.......all the lorries and busses were being diverted at that corner plus all the sh!te from the tramworks.

(Thats my excuse and Im sticking to it ;) :D )

Back