What whiskey/whisky are you drinking? 🥃

Well, that’s a shame, we’ve had nowt here since March last year 🙁. So, thread resurrection 👍.

I’ve been restricting my movements for the past 2 weeks as I got pinged as a close contact not once, but twice, one week after the other tonight was the first night out, the first night out after Xmas/New Year actually 🙁. So Mrs P & I met up with others, had a few drinks and now I’m home. The stoopid thing is we have to start at 4pm 😮 because:
a) the pub shuts at 8 and last orders is 7.30pm - fooking Govt Covid guidelines shite, and,
b) if you’re not in the pub at 4pm when it opens you won’t get a table and you’re not allowed to stand, you can only sit and csnt sit at the bar. FFS😡.

So by 5.30 you’re half cut, looking at you watch thinking it must be time to go home when in actual fact it’s not even the time you normally arrive at the pub. It’s not been like this since I was a student.
9705439C-E0B1-4753-9030-DDC24E1FAD43.jpeg

However, you know that when the Jameson chasers come out it’s gonna be a long (short) evening.

7.30pm and the bar staff who are now table waiting staff are asking you for last orders and telling you to drink up🙁. It’s ridiculous.

Back at home, after walking the dogs, my current favourite tipple comes out. Talisker. Not as peaty/smokey as Laphroig but just right for this moment 👍
B5A2D5FC-D3BC-44CC-A3FF-0C715301C755.jpeg

Well, that’s a shame, we’ve had nowt here since March last year 🙁. So, thread resurrection 👍.

I’ve been restricting my movements for the past 2 weeks as I got pinged as a close contact not once, but twice, one week after the other tonight was the first night out, the first night out after Xmas/New Year actually 🙁. So Mrs P & I met up with others, had a few drinks and now I’m home. The stoopid thing is we have to start at 4pm 😮 because:
a) the pub shuts at 8 and last orders is 7.30pm - fooking Govt Covid guidelines shite, and,
b) if you’re not in the pub at 4pm when it opens you won’t get a table and you’re not allowed to stand, you can only sit and csnt sit at the bar. FFS😡.

So by 5.30 you’re half cut, looking at you watch thinking it must be time to go home when in actual fact it’s not even the time you normally arrive at the pub. It’s not been like this since I was a student.
View attachment 36225

However, you know that when the Jameson chasers come out it’s gonna be a long (short) evening.

7.30pm and the bar staff who are now table waiting staff are asking you for last orders and telling you to drink up🙁. It’s ridiculous.

Back at home, after walking the dogs, my current favourite tipple comes out. Talisker. Not as peaty/smokey as Laphroig but just right for this moment 👍
View attachment 36226

You need a good stiff Scotch 🥃 to read about Bimotas. :oops:

I was given some Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey 🥃 for Xmas (A taster bottle and heavy glass). I'm not oarticularly a fan of Old No.7, but this was lovely. 🥰

1642196968435.png

Last edited:
FYI lesson for everyone. Whiskey is Irish, Whisky is Scots (can we say Scottish🤔). Whiskey is triple distilled so is very smooth to taste and must be matured for 3 years minimum before sale. Whisky is double distilled so is not so smooth and therefore needs, ideally, to be matured for longer, say 10 years or so to be as smooth or yo be blended. Bourbon is only distilled once but is put into very flavoursome casks for maturation such as charred new oak that it disguised the inherent abs otherwise roughness if it.

In America, Irish Whiskey was the most popular drink, due to its triple distilled smoothness, until prohibition. When prohibition came in unscrupulous Canadians began home distilling moonshine, putting it in bottles with fake Jameson, Bushmills, Paddy & Powers labels and smuggled it south across the border. The Americans then, quite obviously, went off Irish Whiskey thinking it was the whiskey which was at fault when in fact it was unscrupulous Canucks. Irish Whiskey has struggled to recover sales volumes in the US ever since, even though that was 100 years ago.

Whiskey. 👍.

Because the Americans wanted to associate their bourbon with Irish Whiskey which then, late 19th/early 20th C was a better (smoother) product than Scottish Whisky. Also there were so many emigré Irish in the US who worked in snd set up the US distillers the Irish version stuck.

Wow, I’m a font of useless knowledge this evening. 👍

FYI lesson for everyone. Whiskey is Irish, Whisky is Scots (can we say Scottish🤔). Whiskey is triple distilled so is very smooth to taste and must be matured for 3 years minimum before sale. Whisky is double distilled so is not so smooth and therefore needs, ideally, to be matured for longer, say 10 years or so to be as smooth or yo be blended. Bourbon is only distilled once but is put into very flavoursome casks for maturation such as charred new oak that it disguised the inherent abs otherwise roughness if it.

In America, Irish Whiskey was the most popular drink, due to its triple distilled smoothness, until prohibition. When prohibition came in unscrupulous Canadians began home distilling moonshine, putting it in bottles with fake Jameson, Bushmills, Paddy & Powers labels and smuggled it south across the border. The Americans then, quite obviously, went off Irish Whiskey thinking it was the whiskey which was at fault when in fact it was unscrupulous Canucks. Irish Whiskey has struggled to recover sales volumes in the US ever since, even though that was 100 years ago.

mr-bean-sleepy.gif

Scotch whisky must be made from 100% malted barley where Irish whisky can use distillates of barley.

When I visited jameson in Dublin they were very big on why their whisky was better than scotch, I had to ask why the still on display had a nameplate stating 'made in Macduff' if they were so clever 🤔 I was not offered an answer 😁

Whiskey. 👍.

Because the Americans wanted to associate their bourbon with Irish Whiskey which then, late 19th/early 20th C was a better (smoother) product than Scottish Whisky. Also there were so many emigré Irish in the US who worked in snd set up the US distillers the Irish version stuck.

Wow, I’m a font of useless knowledge this evening. 👍
I think it was a greater volume of Irish immigrants brought the name, Canada had more Scots immigrants so Canadian whisky is whisky, the original reasoning for the spelling is due to differences in Irish and Scots gaelic.

'Uisce beatha', meaning Water of Life

Scotch whisky must be made from 100% malted barley where Irish whisky can use distillates of barley.

When I visited jameson in Dublin they were very big on why their whisky was better than scotch, I had to ask why the still on display had a nameplate stating 'made in Macduff' if they were so clever 🤔 I was not offered an answer 😁
Irish whiskey isn't better than scotch, it's just different. It's invariably sweeter and seems to always have a vanilla note. Nothing right or wrong, better or worse about that. You either like it or you don't. I like Irish whiskey but I prefer scotch.

Irish whiskey isn't better than scotch, it's just different. It's invariably sweeter and seems to always have a vanilla note. Nothing right or wrong, better or worse about that. You either like it or you don't. I like Irish whiskey but I prefer scotch.
You are so right there,it’s all down to individual taste and I have noticed my taste has changed over the years,I am a fan of the Islay single malts ,
D5B9C58B-EFF3-4F6A-B80A-529975EA9CEE.jpeg

Back