calling all Mashers...!

borderduc

Desmodromically delirious
With the Mysterious Marathon Midgie Masher almost upon us I thought it'd be worth mentioning a few things.....

Friday evening
It would be good for those of us who are staying in Moffat on Friday night to meet up for a refreshment or six so how about meeting in the bar of the Annandale (where Scott and Davie are staying ?) from 7.30 onwards ?. If there's a better place up the street we can always move there later.

Saturday morning
The sun will be scorching and the sky will be blue (be positive !). It looks like a healthy number will be turning up so, to give us an idea of likely numbers can all Mashers please add their name to the list in the calendar section if they have not already done so. As it'll be a cracking but long day we need to assemble in the car park at the Woollen Mill at 8.30 sharp fuelled up (the filling station is just beside it on the main road). By 8.45 we'll be off.

On Saturday morning before we go we'd like to split the group into two - a clockwise group (which I'll lead) and an anti-clockwise group (which KDBlamire will lead). If each group is still big then we'll split them again (WeeIan and PaulV as extra leaders ) so we're not riding around en masse. The idea is to have two main groups each riding the same route but in a different direction, and the groups will meet up at various points during the day. Let's do this PDQ so we can hit the road 8.45 sharp.

There will be no fast or slow groups. However, you can pass the leader if you want (the leader will say where the next stop is) but you're at the mercy of your own navigation. A sweeper will follow each of the two groups to catch any tail-enders with problems. All leaders and sweepers will be in contact with each other (assuming we can get mobile signals). For general contact purposes my mobile is 07957 498240 and KD (Duncan) Blamire's is 07880 742471. The important things are ...

1 If you have a problem of any sort pull over at the side of the road and wait for the sweeper.

2 Act as a guide to the rider behind you. Wait at junctions/roundabouts or places where the route might not be clear. Don't worry about being left behind - the rider in front should know to wait for you too.

3 Whilst we'll move at a steady pace this is not a race. Go at your own comfortable pace and enjoy some of the best biking scenery in Scotland. We've chopped the route into bite-sized chunks but if towards the end of the day you feel like stopping a bit more often then do just that. We all know what can happen when rider fatigue sets in, so take it easy - there'll be a nice cold beer waiting in Moffat for you at the end.

Most importantly of all - HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY, and we'll see you on Saturday !.
 
Sounds like Scott and I are gonna get shafted on our tabs........best make it to meet up around 10.59 pm eh Scott??? ;) ;)
 
Oh, and remember to download and fill out a contact form to give to your group leader or sweeper on Saturday morning (see sticky ). It's not compulsory, and we hope never to need it but just in case....
 
Davieravie said:
Sounds like Scott and I are gonna get shafted on our tabs........best make it to meet up around 10.59 pm eh Scott??? ;) ;)

Davie - meet you in the Black Bull at 7:30! ;)
 
...I keep looking at the map and thinking how bl*ody far it is for me to come - and not even ride with you lot (I just ain't gonna get there in time).
I guess I'm just so knackered at the moment it seems like alot of effort - it's double the distance to Knockhill from me!! :(
 
ProjectImola004 said:
...I keep looking at the map and thinking how bl*ody far it is for me to come - and not even ride with you lot (I just ain't gonna get there in time).
I guess I'm just so knackered at the moment it seems like alot of effort - it's double the distance to Knockhill from me!! :(
if you're staying Sat then I am up for a rideout Sun anyway before heading home. If the weather holds then I'll follow you home and continue with my little adventure!
 
ProjectImola004 said:
...I keep looking at the map and thinking how bl*ody far it is for me to come - and not even ride with you lot (I just ain't gonna get there in time).
I guess I'm just so knackered at the moment it seems like alot of effort - it's double the distance to Knockhill from me!! :(

It's only a couple of hundred miles from "Eilain Dubh" to Moffat - not even half Masher distance. Fit young man like you should reel that off in no time on the Moto Guzzler. There'll be a nice cold beer waiting for you at the end..
 
rockjock620 said:
if you're staying Sat then I am up for a rideout Sun anyway before heading home. If the weather holds then I'll follow you home and continue with my little adventure!

My plan was to come down during the cause of Sat, partake in the festivities of the evening, crash somewhere then drive home Sunday. Got John Baines coming up with his missus (him 1100 Breva, her 750 Monster) on Sunday so I need to get home anyway. This is the plan anyway!!
 
rockjock620 said:
if you're staying Sat then I am up for a rideout Sun anyway before heading home. If the weather holds then I'll follow you home and continue with my little adventure!

I'll see how I'm fixed for Sunday and possibly ride along with you. Holiday time is looming and I've got a list of things to do over the next week so I might only be able to spare the Sunday. I'll catch up with you at the pre-Masher on Friday.
 
borderduc said:
It's only a couple of hundred miles from "Eilain Dubh" to Moffat - not even half Masher distance. Fit young man like you should reel that off in no time on the Moto Guzzler. There'll be a nice cold beer waiting for you at the end..

I know, I know, maybe I'll feel a little more enthusiastic by the end of the week. - This is turning out to be a bit of stressful one; sister came up from East Anglian yesterday eve and has fallen so ill that she is in Raigmore Hosp, Inverness - Beauty, we have found out, is in foal - and in the next few days :eek: This means 2 horsepower!!! ;)
House full of Spainards & Geeermans (got the old Axis powers going again!)
...just knackered!! :eek:
 
Your certainly a busy chappie. Just remember the Highlandman's approach to stress avoidance, encapsulated in the saying (best in a W Highland lilt) "When the Good Lord made time He made PLENTY of it...".

Seriously, though, sorry to hear you've got someone in hospital and hope they get well soon.

Maybe the Baineses would like to join us for the Masher on their way up to see you ?.
 
i'll definately be there too!! my bike was all fixed today - bring on friday - the beginning of my weekend of fun!
 
Am i up for this. I've been decoratin for the last 4 days to get the boys room ready for his return from :canada: and i need a feckin break. Don't even care noo if Davie opens his wallet, and that's bad.
Will see all you boys on friday. Rockjock i'm expectin to get there about 6.30 and i'll get the storage for the bikes sorted as well, balls, better make that 6.00pm.
 
we can't really get away till about 5, so we will be a little later to you. Reckon on 7.30 or so. Meet you at the Annandale?
 
DB, at least myself, Sticky and Overipe are coming up en masse (or should that be in a mess) so we ought to ride together on the Masher - sounds sensible?
 
rockjock620 said:
DB, at least myself, Sticky and Overipe are coming up en masse (or should that be in a mess) so we ought to ride together on the Masher - sounds sensible?

Indeed you may ride en masse the Mysterious Marathon Midgie Masher (but only if you can recite that after six pints of the Annandale's finest Equine Ale on Friday)
 
dseered said:
Have a great time guys, stay safe and I look forward to seeing the pics !

Sure we can't tempt you to come along, DCR ?. Free-flowing bike roads, nice scenery, meeting other DUNers to talk sh*te over a beer or ten apres-Masher ?. The roar of the Termignoni Orchestra ?. There's only rubbish on the telly this weekend and you'll just get bored ...Go North, young man !.
 
Listen you great lot,

I am crying off I'm afraid.

I'm very sorry but my sister (who came here on bl*dy holiday!) is gonna be in hospital for the rest of the week. I think it would be highly inappropriate to go galivanting around Scotland on the bike having fun when she is stuck in that hospital poorly!

I'm gutted - for not being able to make it and for my poor sister! :( :(

I do expect to see some great pics and hear some great stories - and no gremlins please!
 
That's a real shame Ed!

But family comes first of course.

There'll be plenty of pictures to sicken you and we weren't going to buy you a drink either ;)

Chin up mate, and pass our best wishes to your sister!
 
Sorry your no gonna make it Ed, was lookin forward tae you and Derek battlin it oot over all the tech specs o the bikes :p :D
Best you stay where you are though mate and make sure your sis is fine :thumbs:
There's always next year.;)
See you at the next Tracknite hopefully.
 
Och that's a shame you're not going to make it Ed but as you say - family comes first. Hope your sis makes a speedy recovery and manages to get some benefit from her 'holiday'.
I'm sure we'll have lots of pics for you of the rest of us basking in the sunshine :thumbs:
 
That's a pity Ed, and I was gonna buy you a pint too ;)
I hope your sister is better soon though and I'm sure we'll get the chance for drink another day.
 
ProjectImola004 said:
Listen you great lot,

I'm very sorry but my sister (who came here on bl*dy holiday!) is gonna be in hospital for the rest of the week......

It wasn't the porridge, was it Ed !?

Whatever it was, hope she gets well soon.
 
We're hoping to come up to Moffat on the Friday night by car to have a few drinks and meet folk :beer: but won't be staying over.

Riding up again on the Saturday to hopefully meet some of you at the lunch stop :)
 
Back
Top Bottom