750SS Chain & Sprocket Replacement

CAT3

Subscriber
After waiting since September for my new rear sprockets to arrive I got fed up of seeing the chain & engine sprocket sat on my bench. So, I thought I'd at least fit the engine sprocket. As it was a bit of a faff to get it on my bench I thought I'd just do this little job with the bike on the garage floor. Makes you realise how good hydraulic benches are, espicially when your bones are getting old !!:)
There didn't look to be too much wear, but when you put the old & new sprockets up against each other you can clearly see the wear, (this is just over 8000 miles worth of wear in about 19 years !!:rolleyes:).
DSCN3797.JPG

DSCN3794.JPG

Area cleaned up & ready for the new sprocket.
DSCN3800.JPG

And new sprocket fitted. I'll tighten the bolts up & wirelock them when the chain is back on as it's easier to hold the sprocket then.
DSCN3802.JPG

Latest due date for my rear sprockets is end of December !!

Well latest revised-for-the-third-time-at-least delivery date is now the end of January 2021 !
Good job I ordered it in September !!:ROFLMAO:

God knows what Renthal are messing about at, but they can't surely be blaming this wait on covid ......... can they ?

Well, after cancelling my order with the shop I took my business elsewhere for my Renthal rear sprockets. Sadly, after placing my order they contacted me to tell me the size I wanted wasn't in stock & I'll have to wait until they become available.
In the meantime the original shop contacted me to say they were very sorry, but things were out of their control & they gave me a discount code for any future purchase.
The delay with Renthal is due to them being affected by covid & the factory has been shut down pretty much.
Obviously unless I want an odd size sprocket, which nobody wants, getting hold of the size I want is going to mean waiting, so I've re-ordered them from the original shop & used the discount code of course !!(y);) At least that will make the wait more palatable.

Well, after cancelling my order with the shop I took my business elsewhere for my Renthal rear sprockets. Sadly, after placing my order they contacted me to tell me the size I wanted wasn't in stock & I'll have to wait until they become available.
In the meantime the original shop contacted me to say they were very sorry, but things were out of their control & they gave me a discount code for any future purchase.
The delay with Renthal is due to them being affected by covid & the factory has been shut down pretty much.
Obviously unless I want an odd size sprocket, which nobody wants, getting hold of the size I want is going to mean waiting, so I've re-ordered them from the original shop & used the discount code of course !!(y);) At least that will make the wait more palatable.
Why would they be shut down, no other manufacturing is 🤷‍♂️

Why would they be shut down, no other manufacturing is 🤷‍♂️
Its more to do with the lack of raw materials to make the blanks.

many businesses thought covid was only going to be a couple of months tops, so didn’t stock up on raw materials. When they came out of lockdowns they woke up to find the prices had gone mental as everyone was scrabbling tor the same materials.

I've tended to go between Renthall and JT sprocket sets, both have been quite good so far

what size rear sprocket are you after?
I've ordered two 39T Renthal sprockets, one to use & one as a spare, (might be a good idea given this experience although I know these are not "normal" times !!).
Although it's a bit of a pain I am not that bothered as I have other bikes to use should the weather buck-up, although I would like to see how my "new" forks perform after having Maxton cartridges installed.
There are also other sprocket makers that I could no doubt use, but I'm a creature of habbit & I like the alloy Renthal sprockets & always use them.

Last edited:
Reactions: sev
Got fed up waiting for my Renthal sprockets & hopefully, fingers crossed there is a Talon version heading my way.
I just need to fit it, get the bike MoT'd & taxed & then I can try out my Maxton cartridges at last.

Last edited:
Sprocket & chain are now fitted.
DSCN4016.JPG

I use two of these little airbag lifters to get the rear wheel to the correct height & the axle then just slides through, they're like having two extra hands, brilliant things & so useful !!
DSCN4017.JPG

Ronometer in place ready for checking the rear wheel alignment, which I'll do tomorrow.
DSCN4018.JPG

Got to try out the sprocket change today on my 750SS, went up from the standard 37T rear sprocket to a 39T. It's made riding in traffic much better, less clutch slipping needed. 👍
I get the impression I could have gone up to a 40T quite easily, maybe even a 42T ? Anyway, I'm happy with the change & I'll stick to this setup in future.

Back