1098R - The project that was never meant to be.

Robarano

2 time 'Bike of the Month' winner.
Subscriber
I got thinking today that I have posted many times about my 1098R and how it has evolved during my ownership, but this has been a little fragmented over the last 5 years.

I thought I'd tell the full story from 2015 when I bought it, until now as people seem to enjoy these threads.

So, we are in 2015 and I find myself in a position to buy another bike. I have already decided it will obviously be a Ducati, but I want an 'R' of some description. I look at a couple of 999R's and almost buy one only to just miss out. At the time, the 1098R was just a little out of reach, but I find I can push the boat out a little but more.

I narrow it down to 3 bikes.
  • A standard one with the execption of a pair of slip on Termignoni carbon end cans.
  • A cheaper one in Denmark from a reputable dealer, with low miles and mint but only one key and no service history.
  • The most expensive bike, a modified track bike in Jersey, but with all of the standard parts, some expensive additions and an iimpeccable maintenance history.
Danish Bike
844759952_o.jpg


Jersey Bike
$_57.JPG


I'm unable to secure a deal on the 1st bike and the guy seems to swing between wanting to sell it and keep it.

There were issues with the Danish bike having such low miles I'd have to pay import duty and the lack of history was a noise in my head. It was also a German bike that the dealer had bought in and it just got a bit complicated.

The one I was least inclined towards at this point was the track bike from Jersey, but I enquire about it. It was bought from Pro Twins and exported to Jersey. Apart from a few miles, it's always been the guys track day bike, but not raced. The money it's had spent on it was eye watering, with the last service bill which included a NOVA gearbox and engine rebuild at JHP, not being that much cheaper than what he was asking for the bike. All of the standard parts are there having been removed when the bike was new. As I'm not particularly in love with it at this point I make an offer less than the 2 standard bikes and much less that the asking price. I hear nothing for a couple of days and then I have an e-mail to say he's accepted after talking to his wife.

I did actually think at this point. S**t, what have I done. But a deal's a deal. 😬

Anyway, I speak to him a few more times and he senses my nervousness offering to call it all off if I'm not sure. All the questions I ask are answered with the responses I want and I decide to do it.

The spec -
  • Rebuilt engine at JPH with Pistal pistons
  • NOVA Gearbox
  • Nemesis Traction Control
  • Nemesis Quick Shifter
  • BST Carbon Wheels
  • Brembo RCS Brake & Clutch master cylinders.
  • Termognoni full slash cut system
  • Ohlins NIX-30 front fork cartridge kit.
  • Spare Fuel tanks, ECUs, Clocks........
  • Probably more.......

A week or so later, it's in my garage. The track bodywork is rough, but all of the standard bits are brand new. The bike underneath the fairings is as clean as anything else out there and it has just benefitted from a full rebuild at JHP

IMG_3422.JPG


IMG_3472.JPG


IMG_3445.JPG


My 1st job was to strip it down and remove all of the parts I wasn't going to keep on the bike.

IMG_3455.JPG


IMG_3475.JPG


IMG_3499.JPG


As you'd expect with a recent rebuild, the bike is very clean, with no leaks or obvious issues.

So I start the rebuild and luckily, even though the guy has used it on the track, all of the bits are there as promised and things like electrical connectors have just been cable tied up if not used.

Lights and switch gear are easy enough ro get working. I'd have liked to keep the RCS master cylinders, but couldn't get them to work with the standard switch gear. Anything that wasn't mint, never went back on the bike and I bought a load of fasteners at this point.

Bought some Gilles rear sets & Levers.

IMG_3565.JPG


Polished the exhausts in the garage one afternoon.

IMG_3531.JPG


IMG_3542.JPG


So over the space of a few days in the garage it came together.

IMG_3580.JPG


IMG_3604.JPG


IMG_3619.JPG


IMG_3624.JPG


And that was pretty much it and I have to say, I was delighted with how it turned out. It looked pretty standard apard from the wheels, but under the skin, it was basically a race bike. :cool:

After having some issues around starting it, I put in the local dealer and it was away for a couple of months. By the time I got it back, it was too late in the year to use it.

I used it for the next summer and the thing is the fastest bike I've ever been on. 🥴

IMG_3895.JPG


One of the outcomes of the bike having starting issues was to fit a set of @Exige 's leads and a LiPo battery. I've posted previously about installing a Mosfet regulator to ensure the charging system can accept the Lithium item.

The 1098R has a higher rated battery over the standard 1098S, but I upgraded again to give the bike enough cranking amps to fire the coils and injectors as this turned out to be the issue.

By this time, the bike was sporting a set of snazzy blue Samco hoses.

IMG_3904.JPG


I'd always liked the alloy tank option and after having some swelling issues with my Streetfighter tank, I decided to look out for one. I found a new one and had it painted to match the tail unit of the 1098R.

s-l1600.jpg


IMG_5868.JPG


IMG_5904.JPG
 
Last edited:
Part II

IMG_5895s.jpg


By now, my snazzy Samco hoses don't sit well with me and I buy a set of DP alloy items. I think these sharpen up the bike and look the business.

IMG_8484.JPG


IMG_8489.JPG


And that was it, Until...............A few sherrys on Christmas Eve on eBay and I end up getting a great deal on a brand new BST swing arm from Australia. 🤫

IMG_9027.JPG


IMG_9060.JPG


IMG_9155.JPG


IMG_9162.JPG


And there you have it. Finished, or..........................is it? 🤔
 
Last edited:
Do you still ride this on the road Rob?

I was going to this year, but Covid put paid to it. I also bought the Tuono and toured on the GS, so never got the chance.

Next year I will. It'll be this and the GS, maybe the LC.

I need a battery for it as the LiPo seems to have died. I'll get one next week.
 
Blue pipes with a red frame .... Holy Moly !!!

I never thought I'd say this when it came to bikes , but sometimes you might need a woman's opinion .

I had a mate who thought it would be a nice treat for his better half if he painted their lounge bright pink ,
with blue woodwork ( while she was working away ) .

I was there when she came back , and the look on her face will stay with me forever ....
 
Last edited:
The only criticism I could level is the choice of hose clamps.
But I suspect these are the stainless Steel upgrades they sell with the hose. I to also fell into that trap.
IMHO stainless Steel Jubilee clips at 9mm are Shite.... based on a lot of failures.


And in another image those scaffold boards pretending to be decking could do with some teak oil.
 
Blue pipes with a red frame .... Holy Moly !!!

I never thought I'd say this when it came to bikes , but sometimes you might need a woman's opinion .

I had a mate who thought it would be nice treat for his better half if he painted their lounge bright pink ,
with blue woodwork ( while she was working away ) .

I was there when she came back , and the look on her face will stay with me forever ....

I bought the blue ones after seeing them on Justus’s 999R over in Mordor, where they looked great

I was unhappy with them from day one on the 1098R and the red / alu pipes look the biz imo 👍
 
The only criticism I could level is the choice of hose clamps.
But I suspect these are the stainless Steel upgrades they sell with the hose. I to also fell into that trap.
IMHO stainless Steel Jubilee clips at 9mm are Shite.... based on a lot of failures.


And in another image those scaffold boards pretending to be decking could do with some teak oil.
Only you would need to use 2" thick Scaffold board I guess :)
 
Last edited:
Blue pipes with a red frame .... Holy Moly !!!

I never thought I'd say this when it came to bikes , but sometimes you might need a woman's opinion .

I had a mate who thought it would be nice treat for his better half if he painted their lounge bright pink ,
with blue woodwork ( while she was working away ) .

I was there when she came back , and the look on her face will stay with me forever ....
Red looks tosh against the red frame 🤮, blue matches a lot of the fairing but you don't see them anyhoo 🤷‍♂️
 
Ahh.... the quick edit so you don't look like an annoying cock...
What's wrong sweetie - you make loads of typo's and as the forum grammar queen when I point them out in jest you go back through loads of posts dishing out drama queens as some sort of revenge - so I stopped pulling you up about it as I didn't want to upset you 🤷‍♂️


D67E9204-B053-4BF3-A10E-5E872C9846FD.GIF
 
The only criticism I could level is the choice of hose clamps.
But I suspect these are the stainless Steel upgrades they sell with the hose. I to also fell into that trap.
IMHO stainless Steel Jubilee clips at 9mm are Shite.... based on a lot of failures.


And in another image those scaffold boards pretending to be decking could do with some teak oil.

Don't you know it. 🥴 I used the ones that came with the kit. (y)

Anyhoo, the bike runs with waterless coolant, so the system has no pressure in it and the clips are unlikely to fail. You really should look into it. 💣

IMG_8473.webp


They look mint through the fairings. 👀

IMG_8488.webp
 
Don't you know it. 🥴 I used the ones that came with the kit. (y)

Anyhoo, the bike runs with waterless coolant, so the system has no pressure in it and the clips are unlikely to fail. You really should look into it. 💣

View attachment 15642

They look mint through the fairings. 👀

View attachment 15643
Sorry Rob,
I should have been clearer in my original post. I've a red set of hoses on my 998s with Stainless Steel clips.
The failures I've had with Stainless Steel hose clips aren't on motorcycles or even motor vehicles, but high pressure steam.

As as to the snake oil :mad:that is the low specific heat waterless coolants... (99% pure antifreeze)...... we'd need to start at year 6 physics and move onwards until an understanding of the issues involved has developed.... OMG... add a few Twats in there and I'll sound like AndyB.
 
Back
Top Bottom