1098R - The project that was never meant to be.

What's wrong sweetie - you make loads of typo's and as the forum grammar queen when I point them out in jest you go back through loads of posts dishing out drama queens as some sort of revenge - so I stopped pulling you up about it as I didn't want to upset you 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 15641
Distraction doesn't work with me. You made the error/typo then tried to cover it up..... it's all still there above... Sweetie....
AyQxAYd.gif

very boring and mundane question... but how does the seat unit bolt on with the R models?

very boring and mundane question... but how does the seat unit bolt on with the R models?

The same as all the other 1098's I think. It's just a carbon effort instead of plastic. 🤷‍♂️

so what happens at the back? does it just flop around or are there hidden screws?

I can't remember, but it doesn't flop about. :oops: It probably soes bolt on at the back somewhere.

Here's my spare from underneath

View attachment 22300
ohh that's interesting, so there's a secondary structure bonded underneath to mimic the depression in the biposto / S seat unit. by the look of those slots and mounting holes around the perimeter something clips into them? So those side cover panels actually seem to do a lot of work, not just hiding the gap between the seat and tank.

does the R have a different gearbox ratio than the normal S models?
How do you find riding it when caught in traffic etc?

does the R have a different gearbox ratio than the normal S models?
How do you find riding it when caught in traffic etc?

Mine has a NOVA box, with close ratios.

Apparently according to Wikipedia, the 1098 & 1098S (left) have different ratios to the 1098R (right)

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 16.29.18.png

As mine was a guy's track day toy before I bought it, it has a rear sprocket the size of a milk bottle top and I never bothered to change it :LOL: So could be better in traffic. Don't use it in traffic, I find works. (y)

Last edited:
nice.
SO when you say could be better in traffic due to the nova box, what are we talking - anything below 50 and it won't go into second or just jerky horrible vile as you spend your time in 1st?

The interesting thing for me is that it's not a lost cause on the road due to that gearbox, just annoying - yes?

nice.
SO when you say could be better in traffic due to the nova box, what are we talking - anything below 50 and it won't go into second or just jerky horrible vile as you spend your time in 1st?

The interesting thing for me is that it's not a lost cause on the road due to that gearbox, just annoying - yes?

If you do get stuck in traffic, you just have to ride the clutch a little at very low speeds. But that's not what this bike is for, so I make sure I use it out in the sticks. Like I say, I could change the rear sprocket but it's not as issue on the move. You can also see the NOVA ratios below where 1st is somewhere between 1st and 2nd of the standard bike.

Basically, the thing is a race bike. :LOL:

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 19.28.47.png

IMG_9153.JPG

IMG_9162.jpg

IMG_84271.jpg

If you do get stuck in traffic, you just have to ride the clutch a little at very low speeds. But that's not what this bike is for, so I make sure I use it out in the sticks. Like I say, I could change the rear sprocket but it's not as issue on the move. You can also see the NOVA ratios below where 1st is somewhere between 1st and 2nd of the standard bike.
cool. thats what we like to hear.

So you didn't think about putting a big moon sprocket on the thing and hanging on for uncontrollable dear life giggling like a loon into oncoming traffic then?

cool. thats what we like to hear.

So you didn't think about putting a big moon sprocket on the thing and hanging on for uncontrollable dear life giggling like a loon into oncoming traffic then?

I went on the NOVA site earlier as the gear ratio table I shared above on NOVA ratios didn't look right for 1st gear. 28T / 16T = 1.75 : 1 and they quote 2.00 : 1 🤔

1st gear on my bike feels like 2nd on most other bikes and a ratio of 1.75 would take it close to the 2nd gear of a standard gearbox.

The NOVA site gives those ratios but does state 2.00 : 1 🤔 All of the other ratios seem correct.

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 14.47.06.png

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: sev
I went on the NOVA site earlier as the gear ration table I shared above on NOVA ratios didn't look right for 1st gear. 28T / 16T = 1.75 : 1 and they quote 2.00 : 1 🤔

1st gear on my bike feels like 2nd on most other bikes and a ratio of 1.75 would take it close to the 2nd gear of a standard gearbox.

The NOVA site gives those ratios but does state 2.00 : 1 🤔 All of the other ratios seem correct.

View attachment 22732
1.75-1 is the lounge setting
2.0-1 I understand is for terraced houses with a lounge/diner

• HaHaHa
Mine all live in different parts of the house - one in the front ‘on the road’ bike garage garage, one in the rear garage, one behind the sofa and one in the bike room - it’s so utterly wonderful 🥰

Do you need different gear ratios depending on what part of the house they are in? :)

I would imagine you need a low gear for getting them up the stairs into the bedroom. 🤔 So maybe use a one with a standard box for that, and not the tall 1st gear of the NOVA. (y)

• HaHaHa
As the input shaft has a fixed first gear and they quote a 16t gear. The output would be 32t as a good guess.

As the input shaft has a fixed first gear and they quote a 16t gear. The output would be 32t as a good guess.

You would think so, wouldn't you as the output gears get smaller as you go up the box, apart from 1st. 🤷‍♂️ I think you're right, I think it's a typo and should be 32T.

Do you need different gear ratios depending on what part of the house they are in? :)

I would imagine you need a low gear for getting them up the stairs into the bedroom. 🤔 So maybe use a one with a standard box for that, and not the tall 1st gear of the NOVA. (y)
Bikes upstairs, don’t be silly 👀

Back