Who you Backing in the World Cup? football haters dont post plz, k, thx

weeian

New member
so who do you thinks gonna win and who are you backing?

no cheap remarks about scotland not being in it please

no football haters allowed in this thread

This is purely for those who apreciate the beautifull game.

/ian
 
Round 1......

Paraguay, ;)

Trinidad & Tobago, ;)

Sweden!!!!! ;) ;)

Nah seriously, I hope England do well because it would keep my interest in it but I couldn't stand it if they were to win it. Hopefully out on penalties to Germany or Argentina in the semi's, just to see that Ian Wrights face. :D It was bad enough after 66 and they still dont let it lie! :mad: :mad:
 
Ian,
I am english living just south of Auld Reekie. So I am just keeping my head down for the next month..... and hoping my teams players come home in one piece. Oh and believe me, most english get a bit @@@@ed off with comentators mentioning 66 all the time. I 'kin hate it personally.:comp2:

Paul.
 
Davieravie said:
Round 1......

Paraguay, ;)

Trinidad & Tobago, ;)

Sweden!!!!! ;)



Davie,
I was hoping for bit better from you:eek: :eek: :eek: I was going to suggest gettin together for a few:beer: :beer: :beer: , don't know about that now!!:rolleyes:

Paul
 
Awwwww cmon Paul, dont throw your teddy out your pram mate ;)

I'll meet you for a beer to watch a game. You can rub salt into the wounds when you stroll through the first round matches :D
 
I aint gonna make any predictions mate. There are way to many things to go wrong and way to many people to take the pish when it does...... and it will. I was in a boozer on the royal mile for the semi in 96. My wife who is a jock started supporting Gemany during the pens. I turned to the bloke stood next to me and passed comment. He said " Das ist gut. Ich bin eine Dueutschlander" You don't need to speak german to get the jist of that one. Saying that I watched the Champions league final 2005 in town and that was a FANTASTIC night.
 
England may do it this time, but my money is always on the Brazilian boys. Saying that they have never one the World Cup in a European country :confused:
 
i honestly thik theres too many primadonas in the england side for them to win it. whadya think?

& they can play well without Rooney.

/ian
 
Agreed, same as Spain, good individuals, crap team when the chips are down i think the clever money will be on Brazil or Germany;)
 
i have to admit not having scotland in it limits its appeal to me quite a bit but ill probably support brazil cause theyre usually exciting tho i fancy germany to possibly win, but saying that i always fancy italy to win as theyre a class side.

if england dont win it will be down to god interfering with rooneys foot preventing the shrekling from reaching his usual style and grace.

already sick of `66 mentions gary lineker being the latest with his its been 40 yrs were due one nonsense i cant really see england getting past the quarters
 
Hmmmm, just posted a question in another thread and should have looked more for this one.....

Can someone enlighten the Yank here about what happened in '66?? Not to open any wounds, but we (I'm speaking in broad range) don't exactly follow proper football. I try wo watch the English premier league when it's televised and have several friends that are huge Arsenal fans. My wife and I were in Scotland in '01 and attend a Harts game in Edinburgh at the last moment. Best even of my life.......
 
3 Fat Blokes

I always stick three tenners on...this year it's Italy, Argentina and my outsider is Croatia :thumbs:
 
I'm backing England. ;) They were pretty dire yesterday and need to improve. Wayne Rooney needs to get back asap.

Bet wise, I've got an each way on the Czech Republic. ;)
 
tonupyank said:
Hmmmm, just posted a question in another thread and should have looked more for this one.....

Can someone enlighten the Yank here about what happened in '66?? Not to open any wounds, but we (I'm speaking in broad range) don't exactly follow proper football. I try wo watch the English premier league when it's televised and have several friends that are huge Arsenal fans. My wife and I were in Scotland in '01 and attend a Harts game in Edinburgh at the last moment. Best even of my life.......


My dear cousin across the pond,

As an exhiled english man living just south of Edinburgh in the heart od Scotland, I will with deep regret ;) inform you of happenings in 1966. As you may be aware the Football (or Soccer) World Cup takes place every 4 years, in different continents. It was hosted by England in 66. The english team with galant support from a Russian linesman triumphed over a German team in the final to lift the trophy. Unfortunately for the other home countries ie; Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, everytime there is an international football match or any other game come to think about it... the spectre of "66" gets rammed down their throats. I am English and it really gets on nerves aswell. The whole thing gets out of hand, some English start to believe the hype and think they are the best team in the world, the Scottish, almost to a man, will support a team of international terrorists against England to just to have a pop at them and everyone gets really pished and watches the football. Its great. Hope this condensed version of the last fourty years helps:dunno: :dunno:

Paul.
 
Thanks PaulV

......huh. I guess this is what I love about european sports. There is a passion that runs so deep. I mean I can't recall the last time I saw a Steelers or Red Wings or Yankees fan actually cry, I mean CRY, over the lose of their team. Europeans have such a passion for EVERYTHING, even so with Canadians, just a true love of life and people.

Here we seem to have certainly lost our way in the desire and lust to acquire more THINGS rather than more Experiences. But I wax poetic and it's time to start watching the games I am taping.

btw - my friend Pasquale says he feels prety good about the US team this year. Coming from a fullblooded Italian gentleman (and maker of a supreme cappuccino) I was suprised. He says now the US plays like a good soccer club, not like a bunch of little kids all chasing after the ball like they did several years ago. I'm not saying they will go far, but it's still nice to hear that we're progressing.
 
whatta boot the frogs

We ain't seen the french yet and no they ain't a one Henry team, the argies looked good last night and so did the Dutch t'day so at the mo it's any ones guess.
I might make a prediction after the first games but i'm bound to get it wrong.:D
 
Boy, the US sure got humbled. Not sure what they were doing, seemed they were rather scattered on the field. Heard comments (lame ones) from the coach about not knowing what was going on and that he didn't have any answers to why they played poorly (I sure hope he has another job lined up....), but then Langdon mentioned that many of the teams members just lacked the confidence to be playnig at this level.

Seems if you made it to the world cup, ranked 5th, that you'd have the confidence to be there....and play to win.

Huh.
 
tonupyank said:
Boy, the US sure got humbled. Not sure what they were doing, seemed they were rather scattered on the field. Heard comments (lame ones) from the coach about not knowing what was going on and that he didn't have any answers to why they played poorly (I sure hope he has another job lined up....), but then Langdon mentioned that many of the teams members just lacked the confidence to be playnig at this level.

Seems if you made it to the world cup, ranked 5th, that you'd have the confidence to be there....and play to win.

Huh.

Had some quick flashes of inspiration but looked like they didn't know why they were there. I'd blame it on the coach who looked uninspired and generally didn't give a toss.
My bets now on the czechs. looked strong and played some brill footie.;)
 
I think everyone is waiting to see Brazil tonight. I have not been particularly impressed with any team yet, Tam is probably right in saying that the Czechs look most convincing. I think once we see what Brazil team turn up we will be closer to taking a guess on where the trophy will be spending the next 4 years. Don't think it is gonna be London............
 
Aye Brasil were a wee bit dissapointing, but the old Bull Lovers from Espana' did for the Ukraine easily enough this afternoon. Good to see Liverpool boys playing well.:thumbs: :thumbs: Still can't decide were to put my money tho:dunno: :dunno:
 
weeian said:
Brazil aint looking good at all !

/ian

Didn't oor artur play a blinder. Feckin krauts. Don't think there good enough and brazil are doin there usual, slowly does it. The spanish actually played for once so maybe it's goin to be hard to pick this time. Still fancy the czechs though.;)
 
Back
Top Bottom