What to do?

bigtwin

Member
Recently visited one of the 'local' Ducati dealers and was astonished by what I saw - not what you think!

I previously traded in my old Duke for a new one. My old bike had had a replacement Speedometer so didn't show the true mileage. I explained this to the dealer and handed over the service book and old MOT certificates both of which provided evidence of the above.

The bike was subsequently sold to a punter but is now back on sale in the same dealership. Problem is that the declared mileage is that which is showing on the 'new' speedometer. In essence, the bike has been 'clocked'. An oversight or deliberate?
 
Thats something only they can comment on. It wouldn't be nice if you were on the receiving end. What sort of mileage are we talking about?
 
Thats a fair bit!!!! You could see why the salesman would do it, but maybe its a genuine mistake......

Theres a Dilemma column in the Times newspaper, daily I think, especialy for this sort of thing...could come in useful for you ;)
 
Last edited:
It's the most obvious thing to do. But, at the back of my mind are the potential 'consequences' for me. If they do not react favourably would I feel comfortable leaving my bike for servicing; would I feel compelled to go elsewhere? That's my mini dilema!
 
Just seen the ? below my name on the message header. Very good! I always thought that those expression were added by the user. Now I know different and will pay more attention.
 
bigtwin said:
It's the most obvious thing to do. But, at the back of my mind are the potential 'consequences' for me. If they do not react favourably would I feel comfortable leaving my bike for servicing; would I feel compelled to go elsewhere? That's my mini dilema!

If its a genuine mistake it needs pointing out, if the docs are in order it will come out anyway, or have the vital bits gone missing, it will show up on the service book etc.

They would have to be very clever to cover it up and for what end, a couple of hundred quid ???

If it is deliberate I would never, ever trust them again, oil change, pah he will never know.......

Makes you think !

Point it out mate, some poor innocent person may buy it and suffer, not the best really !
 
bigtwin said:
It's the most obvious thing to do. But, at the back of my mind are the potential 'consequences' for me. If they do not react favourably would I feel comfortable leaving my bike for servicing; would I feel compelled to go elsewhere? That's my mini dilema!

The dealer should be showing the bikes true mileage on the front of it. (I would). Full disclosure is paramount in this job!

There is a huge possiblity that he is not aware of the truth and was duped himself by the owner after you (assuming he doesn't remember the finer points of your deal or doesn't record mileage in his system, very possible!).

Maybe to give you peace of mind, you could ask them if they realise that bike had done more miles when they accepted it as a P/EX. They might genuinely be shocked / annoyed if they've blundered.

If they do nothing at that point, then you will have removed the doubt here and at the same time, you will have come across as trying to help them out.
If the next man (or the next, next man!) that comes along checks the NMR (National Mileage Register) with HPI and sees a huge discrepancy, the dealer could be in deep doo doo!:eek:

We, as a rule, HPI all that come in the door, some however are not mileage registered (although with all the computer systems being enforced with MOT's I believe this will very soon be a thing of the past!)

If it was me and I was innocent, I would be annoyed, but not at you, with myself!:mad:

I would appreciate the "heads up" myself. It all depends how you approach them!:)

Dseered has some valid points there too!:eek:

Your call!;)
 
weeian said:
mmm tricky situation you have there, hope the right decision pays off for you.

/ian


Not sure I agree Ian, someone is swinging the lead, if it is the dealer that has been duped more fool them, bike has been through their door before.

I (personnaly) would be informing the sales manager, it will be on the DUK register I would say, if it was a warranty job, one way or another, honesty is always the best policy in my book !
 
To be clear, I traded the bike in, they have sold it on, and it is now back with them. The stated mileage now is less than the true mileage that I declared at the time of part ex, i.e. the declared mileage is that which is shown on the replacement speedometer and ignores the additional mileage recorded on the 'old' speedo.
 
To be clear, I traded the bike in with them, they sold it on and it is now back with them. The mileage declared on the bike is less than the true (and declared) mileage when I traded it in, i.e. the currently declared mileage is that which is shown on the new speedometer and ignores the mileage accumulated on the old speedometer. They have not been conned by the guy that they sold the bike onto - not unless the 'new sales' and 'used sales' guys dont talk to one another; seems unlikely.
 
i altered a cache setting to see if i could solve another problem which might be the reason it wasnt visible, switched it back now as the original problem is easily fixed by just clicking a different link
 
Gizmo said:
i altered a cache setting to see if i could solve another problem which might be the reason it wasnt visible, switched it back now as the original problem is easily fixed by just clicking a different link
:OT: ;) :D :p
 
Back
Top Bottom