US Dept of Transport open enquiry into Ducati rear brake effeciency

I came across this elsewhere on i'interweb & thought I might share it.

In summary - tp save you all opening the offical document:


DOT NHTSA ODI Document

Summary:

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is opening this Preliminary Evaluation (PE) on model year (MY) 2012-2020 Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Supersport, Panigale, Scrambler and Diavel model motorcycles based on allegations of loss of braking performance.

ODI is aware of 22 consumer complaints alleging extended stopping distance due to a loss of rear braking. Many consumers allege the rear brakes failed until several applications of the rear brake lever, while other consumers alleged a total loss of rear braking. In addition, many consumers allege this condition occurs without warning.

ODI learned Ducati released several service bulletins for the subject motorcycles that address a rear brake performance concern. One of the bulletins describes replacing the rear brake line. The campaigns instruct technicians to inspect and replace the brake line, only if necessary, following a consumer complaint. A newly designed brake line, that does not allow air to enter the braking system through the collar of a banjo-fitting, replaces the existing line on a complainants motorcycle. The updated brake line is more robust and manufactured to a different tolerance and design. In December 2020, ODI became aware of a crash and injury allegedly caused by a loss of rear braking on a motorcycle that is part of the subject population.

A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to determine the frequency of this failure mechanism and to understand the conditions that might influence it on the subject vehicles.



It would seem there were just 22 complaints in N.America, you may remember a news article earlier this year about Ducati N.America's offices being 'raided' and files being taken away? I wonder if that was related.

Anyway, I think the rear brake on any bike is secondary when it come to stopping - surely 70%+ of the braking done with the front brake and I'd guess that goes to 90%+ in an emergency situation, it's the nature of a motorbike, a bike's brakes (unless they're linked) and weight transfer.

Still, posted here FYI (y)
 

Attachments

I predominantly use a rear brake as it’s what I’m used to from all the off road riding Paul and can say from experience that the rear brake has been shit on every ducati I’ve ever owned. From new bikes too older bikes
 
So as the majority of those bikes are road bikes and road complaints I recon some need to understand the laws of physics and the effect it has in weight transfer which in turn has an effect on tyre profile and grip availability......which in turn has an effect on why the fook would you use your back brake for the majority of road riding?
 
The worst one is the Multistrada 1200.... it combined several really bad ideas into one design.. IMHO
 
Lets go back 50 years...... take an old school mini ... that had a valve in the line to the back brake that over a certain speed stopped the flow of brake fluid to the rear brakes ...
 
At maximum braking the rear wheel is in the air, so all a rear brake does is stop the wheel spinning. That gives everthing a nice jerk if the wheel comes down again before the bike is stationary, as it has to overcome inertia and start spinning again pdq!
 
I use my rear brake from time to time so it doesn't seize :unsure: and it works fine for what it does 👀
 
I only use the rear brake only if I feel the need to stabilise the rear end under heavy braking but it should work the 998s ain't great that's for sure
 
I always hear that the rear brakes are shit but I have found mine to be good, good enough to stall the engine in an unscheduled braking incident 😳 however, the laws of physics do favour the front stoppers for rapid deceleration where grabbing a fistful will render the rear next to useless anyway
 
Yes, Goat forbid that the brakes on a GS fail and it smashes into something, thereby damaging the bike's good looks.
Motorway speed into a bridge buttress would improve the beauty of one of these...
 
When I 1st started riding on the road, I was very "rear brake heavy' having rode motocrossers for years. Over time I have almost stopped using it but occasionally find myslef getting on it after the front brake and the bike has settled, releasing it after I release the front brake if I go a bit quicker into a corner than I would have liked. Not sure why, but it feels "right" 🤷‍♂️
 
I used to use my heel on the rear brake on the Multistrada when I needed to stop quickly
The rear brake on my current 24 year old 900ss has much more feel and power.
 
In the actual report iirc there were 22 complaints (surprised there were so few tbh) and 1 accident. What the report doesn’t say but I’d love to know is :

a) what are those who complained actually expecting from the rear brake ? That it alone will slow the bike?

b) re the accident, how did a poorly efficient rear brake contribute to it ?
 
In the actual report iirc there were 22 complaints (surprised there were so few tbh) and 1 accident. What the report doesn’t say but I’d love to know is :

a) what are those who complained actually expecting from the rear brake ? That it alone will slow the bike?

b) re the accident, how did a poorly efficient rear brake contribute to it ?
Agreed if a front brake was working not sure rear brake could cause a accident ?
 
Riding X7, GS550/4 GS750/4, 400/4, GPZ900R, 1000RX etc etc .... I never recall a shit rear brake.... I know I was around 40% lighter... but still no bad back brakes.
 
9 Best Motorcycle Memes of 2018 | I JUST WANT 2 RIDE!!
 
Back
Top Bottom