Today - Easter Sunday !

I did have a chat with Mikey about DuN meets where everyone (who wanted to) had their name on a big red paper spot stuck to their leathers so that others would feel happier about approaching a name they recognised to say 'hello' It just has to be written on with felt tip pen and binned til the next meet. The idea wasn't welcomed with enthusiasm!
 
I missed the lot of you because I never found the cafe! The intention was to go along the A66 to the right turn to Langwathby and right again. It said on my big map 'Hartside Height' just passed Melmerby but I ended up in Alston and must have missed it. I started to run out of petrol so I went to Middleton in tees to fill up then I went to Brough and back home, big shame I didn't find it I did see a few ducatis while I was out.
 
Thanks guys for organising the meet although didn't know anyone, Kevin introduced me to gizmo. We had good ride up A6 from Kendal, after we did the motorway miles, from Hartside went to Hawes then back to motorway at Clitheroe. Had great ride in at 7.30 done 350 miles. Kevin, Anne and myself. Liked Hartside and will be back up this year.

How about you guys coming down to a mega meet at The Ponderosa, North Wales. Could sort some route maps out for you.

Thanks for my birthday wish on email this morning.

Steve Rose
 
Last edited:
I did have a chat with Mikey about DuN meets where everyone (who wanted to) had their name on a big red paper spot stuck to their leathers so that others would feel happier about approaching a name they recognised to say 'hello' It just has to be written on with felt tip pen and binned til the next meet. The idea wasn't welcomed with enthusiasm!

Its up to individuals what they want to do Steve, personally I won't bother, I'm pretty used to being by myself and being able to chat so try and always introduce myself to Ducati riders anyway but if everyone else wants to do it please do so, its not like I'm trying to stop anyone from wearing a badge.

the one thing i think would work is trying to get a separate area for Ducati parking at meets with the upnorth banner on display, that way its obvious who is coming and I think we've got enough people who would welcome and greet new arrivals?
 
what about the name on the bottom of the number plate (where the dealert name is):mad:

I managed to get Impact Signs to do upnorth logo plates a while ago and i have one on the multi.

Its not got individual names but at least shows you use the site so someone might stop and ask who you are.

thread on how to get one is here
 
I did have a chat with Mikey about DuN meets where everyone (who wanted to) had their name on a big red paper spot stuck to their leathers so that others would feel happier about approaching a name they recognised to say 'hello' It just has to be written on with felt tip pen and binned til the next meet. The idea wasn't welcomed with enthusiasm!

You are having a laugh Steve, we would become known as the playschool gang:thumbsdown:
 
I managed to get Impact Signs to do upnorth logo plates a while ago and i have one on the multi.

Its not got individual names but at least shows you use the site so someone might stop and ask who you are.

thread on how to get one is here

ah, id forgot about them, ill give him a ring and get an 8 x 6 seeing as the 9 x 7 interfered with my rear tyre the other day :comp2:
 
You are having a laugh Steve, we would become known as the playschool gang:thumbsdown:

It's all right for you ya muppet everyone knows you!

If I'd have found the place I would have liked to have a chat with Russ amongst others, you can't really go round saying 'who are you? to everyone
 
Badges & name tags make me think of training seminars - we could get everyone to stand up & say a few words about themselves.
 
Steve, If you see someone ride in with a Ducati or stood near a Ducati its not hard to ask if there from the DUN site. Having said that some Ducati riders wear stylish Dianese/ Ducati leathers. I for 1 have Ducati leathers and so does Ian (dseered). As fellow bikers we'll also happily talk to fellow riders irrespective of the bike they ride.

A case in point i'd like to mention is this :- Yesterday a guy called Martin came and met up with us at the BP garage nr Kendal, he rides a 748R (very nice too) I got chatting to him on Friday at Glasson Dock and then gave him Sundays and the DUN's details. He turned up on his 'jack jones' and we just got chatting for about 30 mins. Its pretty easy I didn't know very many people from the site last October, but I came on Octobers Hartside rideout and met many DUNSTERS and went to a few meets whether monthly evening meets of rideout meets etc and now I know quite a few people who I can meet and ride with or simply just chat to periodically. This all came about from Derek (desmodegsy) and Pete (rockjock) introducing me to various other riders from DUN. Also I had never 'nimue' until yesterday but she came and introduced herself to me. I also met 'lara' and a chap with a 1098s whose name I've lost already and 'easy' whom I arranged to meet in Rawtenstall and then onto Skipton, plus many more people whom I'd had contact with but not met. Once you've met 1 or 2 you'll soon get to know alot more...

I hadn't met Dseered until Feb at the classic weekend at DM but now I bump into him at least once every 2 or 3 weeks....

Mate its not rocket science.

Just incase you wonder who I am I enclose my picture from yesterday's meet.....
 
Last edited:
Im comfortable with an "on the road meet" where bikes turn up - lids come off & greetings exchanged. Yesterday was a bit manic & I found I sat with the tyne group (comfort zone - I know)


for next time - this was me sitting on the wall at the october meet. The pics from yesterday are all of the back of me heed! (my best angle)

View attachment 1534
 
I missed the lot of you because I never found the cafe! The intention was to go along the A66 to the right turn to Langwathby and right again. It said on my big map 'Hartside Height' just passed Melmerby but I ended up in Alston and must have missed it. I started to run out of petrol so I went to Middleton in tees to fill up then I went to Brough and back home, big shame I didn't find it I did see a few ducatis while I was out.

it's not like getting back from WDW in Italy in a day is it? :D
 
You can and many of us do matey !

You and I with a sales background have no problem with saying Hello to someone new, unfortunately there are many who don't have that confidence. Jan & Niccy missed each other at the Hizzy meet last year cos neither of them would go up to each other and say Hi!
What I find hard is when I meet a lot of peeps at once, I can't remember their names and I sort of recognise the face the next time I see it but can't put a name to it. It is well embarrassing when you go up to someone tell them who you are and they say 'I know who you are, I met you at the wet bridge meet' as Steve will testify and I then remember :doh:. Not all of us are blessed with an encyclopedic memory of names coupled with photographic memory. We all have a choice matey:)
 
I missed the lot of you because I never found the cafe! The intention was to go along the A66 to the right turn to Langwathby and right again. It said on my big map 'Hartside Height' just passed Melmerby but I ended up in Alston and must have missed it. I started to run out of petrol so I went to Middleton in tees to fill up then I went to Brough and back home, big shame I didn't find it I did see a few ducatis while I was out.

so, how did come to be out and about? got the monnie back or bought a car?



i will make more of an effort to say HI to more folk in future, i tend to catchup with familiar faces who i haven't seen in a while like MartinH, Ian, Vic, Flinters, Desmomick etc. etc. by the time ive gone round the folks i know its usually time to be off :o
 
so, how did come to be out and about? got the monnie back or bought a car?



i will make more of an effort to say HI to more folk in future, i tend to catchup with familiar faces who i haven't seen in a while like MartinH, Ian, Vic, Flinters, Desmomick etc. etc. by the time ive gone round the folks i know its usually time to be off :o

Andy took me to Ducati John to pick the monnie up Friday morning and we loaded it on his trailer and it's now home. I went for a little ride on Friday and found it quite easy to get used to. The gearchange is really slick and quick and I can change up and down the box now without the clutch. I had put velcro on the crash bung and the back of my boot and it sticks....just! Sunday morning I was up early with the intention of setting off to meet Ian in Kendal but I got a real bad feeling about it, I try not to use the A65 now and I didn't feel confident to go via Hawes. After midday I felt a lot better and set off up to Ripon with the intention of doing just a few miles and when I got there I thought of going up the A1/A66. I had looked on the map before I set off and thought I took the right turning off the A66 and I think I went right to Alston but I cant be sure. I didn't see any cafe that looked like the website picture! I started to run low on fuel so headed back home via Middleton. I really enjoyed the ride out, had no scary moments, I just need some more practice at road junctions setting off!
 
BRILLIANT! shame you didnt get there tho, if you'd picked up the signs for Penrith in |Alston you would have come across the cafe, you were about 6 miles short! and theres a petrol station at the bottom of Alston village on the road to Penrith too!
 
BRILLIANT! shame you didnt get there tho, if you'd picked up the signs for Penrith in |Alston you would have come across the cafe, you were about 6 miles short! and theres a petrol station at the bottom of Alston village on the road to Penrith too!

I knew I was close 'cos of all the bikes around, I followed a couple of Ducatis but still didn't go past the cafe! All the time I was out I was thinking to myself that I have to get a satnav so I didn't have to ask anyone for directions to the nearest petrol station!
 
I knew I was close 'cos of all the bikes around, I followed a couple of Ducatis but still didn't go past the cafe! All the time I was out I was thinking to myself that I have to get a satnav so I didn't have to ask anyone for directions to the nearest petrol station!

good to hear you are back on the bike Steve. you must have ridden straight past the cafe, the road is the only way across the Pennines other than the A66. Its midway between Melmerby and Alston at the top of a big hill, you can see it from almost 2 miles away as you ride up on the west side, there's a tourist sign saying Hartside Summit and cafe is on your right, frontage is about 50 metres with double entrances and exits and there's usually about a hundred bikes parked almost on the roadside. Fuel in Alston ( 2 garages) or Middleton but thats almost 25 miles from Alston.
 
I think I must have taken the Brough turn as I thought I had gone a long way along the A66 (saw the signs for the M6), then came to Middleton then gone wrong at Alston and headed back toward Stanhope after I asked somebody the way! anyway I had a brill ride, saw no accidents and no police either.
 
on the 66 the Brough turn off is at the bottom of a long downhill dual section, you'd slip left then turn right and right again to follow the Middleton signs. , you'd pass 2 big resevoirs before you got to Middleton i don't think Alston is signed until you get to Middleton. the way you planned going to Langwathby you'd come off the 66 on a single section and go via Culgaith village ( or come all the way to Penrith then turn right. Good roads whichever way you go and not a bad place to get lost :)
 
I think I did go that way cos I remember going thru Newbiggin, one of the strange village names (like wetwang) which you tend to remember, but as it's an area that I don't know well that's why I got lost. Now I just have to decide the best sat nav to get!
 
Wow Steve, had no idea you'd be back on a bike so soon! Well done mate, see you in Harrogate if not before
 
Back
Top Bottom