Take care out there !

Have you seen the new "Think Bike" ad on TV, saw it about an hour ago, quite disturbing and really does highlight how little road presence we have
 
Freak said:
Have you seen the new "Think Bike" ad on TV, saw it about an hour ago, quite disturbing and really does highlight how little road presence we have

Think they have rolled out the same campaighn all over the country, lets hope people learn from it, it shocked me.

now you see him !
 
No there's a new one, not the one where the bikers behind in the mirrors..

This one's a guy at a junction about to pull out, he checks both ways then pull out, you're in the drivers seat and you turn to see the biker lock up and smash right into the side of you :eek:
 
Freak said:
No there's a new one, not the one where the bikers behind in the mirrors..

This one's a guy at a junction about to pull out, he checks both ways then pull out, you're in the drivers seat and you turn to see the biker lock up and smash right into the side of you :eek:

watched it last night and scraed the @@@@ out of me ! also prompted a call from my mother last night to try and remind me how i might as well have bought a coffin! highly motivational ... think i'll be keep ing the bike in the garage a while longer... :eek: :eek:
 
nic6196 said:
watched it last night and scraed the @@@@ out of me ! also prompted a call from my mother last night to try and remind me how i might as well have bought a coffin! highly motivational ... think i'll be keep ing the bike in the garage a while longer... :eek: :eek:

Yeah very realistic... you kind of knew what was coming, but very graphic
 
Before getting to worried I'd suggest anyone who hasn't done it books a day with a MAC motorcycle instructor, they'll break down riding into statistics, stupid stuff but once its explained its easy to reassess risk when you are riding and believe me you'll ride differently. I've changed the way i ride, still quick but at certain times and places adapt it. If anyone is interested I can ask my local Mac instructor who just happens to own a 996 as well if he'd do a better rate, its a maximum of 2 people per day and its cheaper to do it as a pair.
 
I have heard you talking about him, I enjoyed the BikeSafe scheme, may go down the Advanced route to save some cash on my insurance, just had my renewal notice !
 
Freak said:
Have you seen the new "Think Bike" ad on TV, saw it about an hour ago, quite disturbing and really does highlight how little road presence we have

Just saw it now. Made us jump!!!
 
Oh no, don't be silly... (Hope I don't live to regret that!) Rather destroy 400 quids worth of f/glass than 4k's worth of carbon
 
There is a bit of an anomaly on the video - first viewing (the crash) the bike is not on the road anywhere to be seen, and appears on the very nearside kerb line - second shot (the miss) he is over to the crown of the road with lights on. Still fairly graphic. Anyone remember the ad from the 70's (I think....), "Think once; think twice; think BIKE". Same idea, it would be interesting to know how much effect (if it could ever be quantified) that one had back then.

I always clock the drivers head movement and ensure "total eyeball" before semi-trusting them at all.

I also find it useful (to help avoid motion camouflage - remember "Bike" mag, last year I think it was!) to make an obvious body movement; flap elbows, sit upright, shake of head, dip the front end on the brakes, or alter position on road slightly with a subtle weave, just to catch the drivers attention. And cover the clutch. And both brakes. And throttle back slightly.

And still they try hard to get you.........SMIDSY anyone?
 
And we still get pulled for cans; plates; visors; random checks; riding a bike and biting the heads off live fowl and small rodents!!!!!! Barstewards.
 
my mate got t-boned at a junction 3 years ago by a Black Hackney, luckily he flew over the bonnet & landed on his feet breaking both his ankles, instead of going right into the centre, just got £35,000 compensation. He's lost his Mojo for riding bikes now. . . .

/ian
 
Sad part is the vidio shocks us, the bike riders not the car drivers. Even when they do see us the speed of our approach startles them, usually due to equating size with distance. Either that or you left your cloak of invisibility switched on. efnel I forgot motorcycles are invisible! Scary vid, ride safe.:beer:
 
Just saw the video on TV last night.

It's certainly got some shock factor, very graphic indeed.

If it helps us, just one bit it'll be worth it.

Good points about "motion camouflage" jock!
 
one of the tips i picked up was the one Pete mentions about altering position, you need to do it anyway as you approach a junction so lights on, make sure the move is from inside to out of lane and a noticeable or t'other way round if junction is on your right cos thats another car driver favourite as they can't see past their passenger...
 
I trust no one at junctions even when driving my van. About a week ago an old dear did exactly the same in an industrial estate. I saw it coming and had my foot hovering over my brake. She just pulled out causing me to come to a complete stop while she turned right coming out a junction. I really wish automatic weapons were not banned in this country sometimes.
 
Davieravie said:
I trust no one at junctions even when driving my van. About a week ago an old dear did exactly the same in an industrial estate. I saw it coming and had my foot hovering over my brake. She just pulled out causing me to come to a complete stop while she turned right coming out a junction. I really wish automatic weapons were not banned in this country sometimes.

I hear Davie............

I was on me MTB heading into town to go to work last week - a Fast-Black decides to pull out in front of me causing me skid into his door....

No damage done, so I was gonna give the 'bird' and cycle off - if wasn't for the gobby cant shouting abuse and rev-lurching as I try to pass - I had to take action (recommended by a London Courier mate!) so I wacked his windscreen with my D-lock.........

Result - bust windscreen.

Maybe he'll think next time.
 
Back
Top Bottom