Stainless Bolts

Gizmo

Forum Geek
Where's the best place to get kits of stainless bolts please? I need to replace the corroding bolts on the multi strada even regular cleaning and washing down after every ride and Scottoiler 365 can't stop them turning into swiss cheese

if anyone has the sizes for clutch/engine cases and other main bolts it might be useful as well.

TIA
 
dseered said:
Not had a look through but you may find something, otherwise try Hayton's in Kendal, farm supplies !


http://www.tastynuts.com/acatalog/i...uts.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody

If I knew all the sizes there's a place in Penrith but its a fook on taking bolts out, going to the shop then having to remember which one goes where :( Tastynuts don't have stainless kits, lots of alloy or Ti.

It might be worth taking my time, slowly stripping out bolts and writing down each bolt size for future reference.
 
umm when i attempted that i got seriously confused , id give you a list of s4 monster suitable bolts, but ive lost the 8 scraps of paper i had everything written down on
think it took 3 trips for different bits and pieces and i have a load left over that i dont know where they were ment to go

and i measured 3 different length bolts for water pump cover but you only in reality need one, which i found a tad odd

uh i didnt copperslip em either so im expecting em all to corrode themselves in

id ask the question about break mounting bolts and suitability again but thers soo much personal opinion in it
 
Scotty said:
umm when i attempted that i got seriously confused , id give you a list of s4 monster suitable bolts, but ive lost the 8 scraps of paper i had everything written down on
think it took 3 trips for different bits and pieces and i have a load left over that i dont know where they were ment to go

and i measured 3 different length bolts for water pump cover but you only in reality need one, which i found a tad odd

uh i didnt copperslip em either so im expecting em all to corrode themselves in

id ask the question about break mounting bolts and suitability again but thers soo much personal opinion in it

I did it for my 668 Laverda, measured each bolt and listed where it was used, if i could be bothered i'd do it and pdf it in with photos but I've still got a load of stuff to write up anyway, Garmin Quest onto multi, Scottoiler fitting for multi, aagghh

I'd always use steel for brakes, Ti varies in quality, need a good grade and how do you guarantee that??
 
Gizmo said:
Where's the best place to get kits of stainless bolts please? I need to replace the corroding bolts on the multi strada even regular cleaning and washing down after every ride and Scottoiler 365 can't stop them turning into swiss cheese

if anyone has the sizes for clutch/engine cases and other main bolts it might be useful as well.

TIA

Mike,

I've just replaced my cheesy engine bolts with nice gold alloy kit from Pro-bolt - don't think I'll use them again though - the kit quality looks fine, its just they aren't all the correct size and they take eons to deliver (and I'm still waiting). Pro-bolt are only good for bling things like filler/reseviour caps.

As a result I ended up going to BSR Aerotek to get the odd engine bolt and Gold alloy fairing kit - they delivered next day and exactly what I asked for. Aerotek do do kits (click to red link above - a stainless kit will cost you around £15.43 + p&p for a 749/999.

As far as I can remamber (just checked a few spares) engine bolt are M6 with 5mm allen sockets of varying length. There are a few M5 with 4mm allen sockets aswell to watch out for.

Al
 
Stainless bolts

Gizmo,
Tasty nuts advertise an engine fastener set in stainless for the M1000ie in polished stainless with all the markings removed. This was a new line last year but they were having problems with their supplier - not happy with the mirrored finish - the cost was around £40. In the end I purchased an engine set for around £10 from Tasty nuts and machined the faces and polished them myself - I have a small lathe. In the end it's only cosmetic but I prefer the machine marks and lettering removed. Although probably dearer to buy the set at least I didn't need to size the fasteners. If you phone tasty nuts ask for Louise and mention the guy that polished them himself. She mentioned at the time I was getting a reduced price for the stainless set because of all the hassle in trying to get me a machined set. The time and effort to machine and polish the set it's more than worth £40 believe me.
Geoff
 
Michael, I am sure someone on Multistrada.net once went through the trouble of removing all the bolts and measuring them and had made a list that others could use. Might be worth a search. May be an idea to look at overipe & keen posts? I am half certain it may have been him. Funnily enough he has called me today and left a message but I have not had time to return the call.

Was looking at the fittings on my MS today and was thinking the same thing. My worst ones are the Brake disc mounting bolts and a couple of the ones that hold the 2 halfs of the calipers together. Dont know if you remember the tale from last year I posted on Ducati sparring Club but I had my bike serviced by a certain dealer thats no longer there and notices loads of discolouration on certain parts of the bike on my return home. It was if some really caustic cleaning product had been sprayed on and left without being rinsed off. Anyway within a couple of days the bolts in question were covered in rust.

Never did get a reply from the dealer!?
 
Stainless Steel Bolt List for Ducati Multistrada DS 1000 2003
Grade "A4" Used - High Quality
Detail List
Location Description Thread & Length Type Qty Price Each
Chassis Front axle clamp bolts M8 x 50mm Flangehead 4
Front mudguard bolts (plastic section) M6 x 15mm Domehead 2
Front mudguard bolts (coloured section) M6 x 15mm Domehead 4
Front brake calliper to fork bolts M10 x 25mm Fine Pitch Caphead 4
Front brake calliper pinch bolts M8 x 40mm Lowhead 8
Front disc retaining bolts M8 x 20mm Domehead 12
Lower yoke clamp bolts M8 x 30mm Caphead 4
Upper yoke clamp bolts M8 x 25mm Caphead 2
Headstock yoke clamp bolt M8 x 25mm Caphead 1
Lever clamp bolts M6 x 25mm Caphead 4
Handle bar clamps bolts M8 x 60mm Caphead 4
Accelerator twist grip clamp bolts M6 x 20mm Caphead 2
Seat latch bolts M5 x 10mm Caphead 3
Seat latch bracket bolts M8 x 20mm Caphead 2
Seat lock mounting bolts M5 x 12mm Caphead 2
Rear footrest hangers bolts M8 x 25mm Caphead 4
Rear brake line front clamp bolt M5 x 25mm Caphead 1
Rear brake master cylinder mounting bolts M6 x 20mm Flangehead 2
Rear brake calliper to swing-arm bolt M8 x 20mm Caphead 2
Rear brake calliper pinch bolts M8 x 40mm Lowhead 2
Rear taillight bolt M5 x 17mm Caphead 1
Pre-load knob bolt + wide washer (RH side) M5 x 8mm Domehead 1
Rear brake fluid reservoir mounting bolt M6 x 10mm Flangehead 1
Rear hugger (after market) M6 x 15mm Domehead 4
Lower chainguard bolts M6 x 15mm Domehead 2
Engine Rocker cover bolts M6 x 17mm Caphead 16
General Camshaft end plate covers bolts M8 x 10mm Domehead 2
Camshaft end plate covers bolts M6 x 20mm Caphead 4
Cam belt cover bolts - horizontal front M6 x 16mm Caphead 3
Cam belt cover bolts - horizontal front M6 x 35mm Caphead 2
Cam belt cover bolts - vertical M6 x 16mm Caphead 2
Front sprocket cover bolts M6 x 14mm Caphead 2
Clutch slave cylinder mounting bolts M6 x 16mm Caphead 3
RHS Engine Case bolt 1 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case Case bolt 2 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
(Counter Clock- Case bolt 3 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
wise) Case bolt 3a (Set back next to starter motor) M6 x 30mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 4 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 5 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 6 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Clutch cover bolts M6 x 70mm Caphead 4
Clutch cover bolts M6 x 20mm Caphead 2
Exhaust guard bolts M6 x 16mm Caphead 2
LHS Engine Case bolt 1 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case Case bolt 1a (Set back into middle of engine) M6 x 35mm Caphead 1
(Counter Clock- Case bolt 2 M6 x 30mm Caphead 1
wise) Case bolt 3 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 4 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 5 M6 x 30mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 6 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 7 M6 x 35mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 8 M6 x 30mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 9 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 10 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Case bolt 11 M6 x 30mm Caphead 1
Sump bolt 1 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Sump bolt 2 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Sump bolt 3 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Sump bolt 4 M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Tachometer relay switch bolt M6 x 25mm Caphead 1
Small plate on engine case bolts M6 x 12mm Countersunk 2
Sidestand retaining bolt M10 x 25mm Caphead 1

Total 147
 
Hows that for a list?

Dont know about using stainless for brake components etc? Been clearing me loft out recently of old bike and classic car mags etc and found a few articles about stainless nuts and bolts and their tensile ratings etc. It explained what the code numbers on the bolts signified re tensile strength etc.

Thing is I have a pile of about 300 mags that I am going to chuck out and I dont fancy going through them all again to find the articles in question. I do know there was discussion re stainless caliper etc bolts of the Ducati Sparring Club site a liitle while ago.
 
Bloody hell, quite a list and loads of advice, nice. That'll keep me busy this weekend :)

Stainless does vary, we use one supplier for handlebar/stems who will only use a US made stainless bolt because of problems with off shore manufactured bolts and varying tensile strength/QC. its the same for Ti, I've had bolts for my mountain bike which were very soft and would never trust them to stop a motorbike.
 
Just picked up a complete set of stainless off flea bay for £19.99 have a look at this guy he has Ducati sets up for auction at the moment. I have tried buying sets else where and they can be double this. Delivery within 24 hours.
'simon650_0 (1612)'
 
m55russ said:
By the way Martin have you not work to go too??????
That would of took me a week to type!!!


I cheated! I copied it from the downloads section at Multistrada.net. ;)

Michael, I was right it was Eon that compiled the list. You did meet him once on the second day of Raid the Kakes last year. Well I assume you met him as there is a pic of him sat with you lot outside Hartside cafe.
 
you could do worse than

Gizmo said:
Where's the best place to get kits of stainless bolts please? I need to replace the corroding bolts on the multi strada even regular cleaning and washing down after every ride and Scottoiler 365 can't stop them turning into swiss cheese

if anyone has the sizes for clutch/engine cases and other main bolts it might be useful as well.

TIA
you could do worse than try this man malcolm jones 27 mannerston holdings blackness linlithgow eh49 7nd phone/fax 01506 834344.
i bumped into this chap at a show a few years ago he does stainless nuts bolts etc at reasonable prices an older chap who new what he was doing and was nice to deal with :comp2:
 
Wherever the list came from it's bloody handy. Most of the stuff (forks, calipers, discs controls and so) is generic to most of the models and the bottom halves of the 4V engine are much the same as the 2V so I can use this info when I'm doing the ST4s.
Over a period of time I converted all of the fasteners on my 900ss to stainless. I got the engine fasteners from Mr Fastner, at that time you could buy from them direct but now all their sales are through M&P. Most of the others fasteners I measured up and bought from Steves Stainless, a wee guy who had a stall at the Scottish bike show until a couple of years ago. I suspect that when the show moved to all indoors it got too expensive for him. There is also a place called Just Fasteners that advertises in the classic bike mags who sell stainless in small quantities mail order.
 
thats the man

Derek said:
Wherever the list came from it's bloody handy. Most of the stuff (forks, calipers, discs controls and so) is generic to most of the models and the bottom halves of the 4V engine are much the same as the 2V so I can use this info when I'm doing the ST4s.
Over a period of time I converted all of the fasteners on my 900ss to stainless. I got the engine fasteners from Mr Fastner, at that time you could buy from them direct but now all their sales are through M&P. Most of the others fasteners I measured up and bought from Steves Stainless, a wee guy who had a stall at the Scottish bike show until a couple of years ago. I suspect that when the show moved to all indoors it got too expensive for him. There is also a place called Just Fasteners that advertises in the classic bike mags who sell stainless in small quantities mail order.
the man whos details i put up are the same wee man as your one from the scottish bike show ...bloody small world eh:comp2:
 
rockjock620 said:
I think Raid the Cakes sounds rather good! Rename it! Go on!

cake.... did some one say cake........

I've left some virtual birthday cake in the bar if anyone fancies a peice?:thumbs:
 
Here are a couple more suppliers of stainless stuff. INOX who I had bookmarked but the URL had changed and this one I found yesterday Stig Fasteners.
The stuff from Inox looks really good. They do kits for various bikes but oddly I see no mention of Ducatis but if we know the sizes of the screws/bolts we need that shouldn't be a problem. They also do these low profile dome head fairing screws that are really hard to find. Hope this is useful.:)
 
Geoff said:
Gizmo,
Tasty nuts advertise an engine fastener set in stainless for the M1000ie in polished stainless with all the markings removed. This was a new line last year but they were having problems with their supplier - not happy with the mirrored finish - the cost was around £40. In the end I purchased an engine set for around £10 from Tasty nuts and machined the faces and polished them myself - I have a small lathe. In the end it's only cosmetic but I prefer the machine marks and lettering removed. Although probably dearer to buy the set at least I didn't need to size the fasteners. If you phone tasty nuts ask for Louise and mention the guy that polished them himself. She mentioned at the time I was getting a reduced price for the stainless set because of all the hassle in trying to get me a machined set. The time and effort to machine and polish the set it's more than worth £40 believe me.
Geoff

Geoff's bike is top to tail with his stainless fetish(you should see his Hardly)
and he made me a top fairing stay which is the bollocks....Ta Geoff..:thumbs:
 
Nelly at Cornerspeed replaced a big sackfull of bolts on my ST with stainless when it went in for a service a couple of years ago, they're still all lovely and bright.

He used to make up kits as well, all nicely labelled up as to where they went. Dunno if he still does them, he might not have time now that he's famous
 
Back
Top Bottom