ST4s belts

Rob C

Member
Does anyone know if there is a Gates version of the 93 tooth belt that the ST4 and ST4s (and 748 I believe) uses? I know there is 95 tooth size which fits the regular 916 and 996 engines. I’ve seen Dayco aftermarket belts for the ST’s but I’d rather have Gates ones if possible. Thanks
 
Yes

Yes I’ve heard these are good but 90 quid for mine - not much cheaper than OEM and three times the price of Gates which I highly rate.
If you subscribe Exi will give you a discount, still probably pricier than Gates but good value. I use exact belts on my ST4 running them for about 4 years without issues 👍
 
1664058680527.webp
 
Yes

Yes I’ve heard these are good but 90 quid for mine - not much cheaper than OEM and three times the price of Gates which I highly rate.
I thought the problem with gates belts was nobody now’s the design specifications of them so would always be a bit of a gamble using them
 
Yes

Yes I’ve heard these are good but 90 quid for mine - not much cheaper than OEM and three times the price of Gates which I highly rate.

" three times the price of Gates "

Really ???

Bradthebikeboy wrote about the Gates belts a few years back -

The belt that caused all the issues was the Gates T917, which was originally a Renault belt. Why it all started going bad in 1998 I don’t know. Maybe it was the simple increase in sample size, with a lot more 4V bike sales, coupled with the increase in track day participation. Nothing else changed in terms of engine design or layout. Once that belt was out of the official spare parts system, the problem was effectively fixed. You could still buy them via Gates, as we did for the Pantah and 900 belts, but we mainly kept away from the T917. All the Gates parts numbers for Ducati timing belts were cancelled last year (in Australia at least), so now they’re gone for good.



I would do as everyone else here has recommended , and buy the Exactfit belts .
 
" three times the price of Gates "

Really ???

Bradthebikeboy wrote about the Gates belts a few years back -

The belt that caused all the issues was the Gates T917, which was originally a Renault belt. Why it all started going bad in 1998 I don’t know. Maybe it was the simple increase in sample size, with a lot more 4V bike sales, coupled with the increase in track day participation. Nothing else changed in terms of engine design or layout. Once that belt was out of the official spare parts system, the problem was effectively fixed. You could still buy them via Gates, as we did for the Pantah and 900 belts, but we mainly kept away from the T917. All the Gates parts numbers for Ducati timing belts were cancelled last year (in Australia at least), so now they’re gone for good.



I would do as everyone else here has recommended , and buy the Exactfit belts .
Looks like Exactfit it is then! I quite fancied getting in a supply of Gates ones and just changing them pretty often - at around £12 each (for the 95 tooth 916/996 one) it seemed like a good plan. If they‘re good for around 75k miles on cars I’d have thought they would be OK for a season or two on an ST4s. Seems that would be way too risky though from all the comments 🙂.
 
Back
Top Bottom