SSie Fuel Tank

Nasher

I'm planning to whip the fuel tank off my 1000SSie completely for the first time tomorrow.

For those that have done this before on an SSie, do I need to drain the fuel from the tank somehow first?
It's about 1/2 full at the moment.

There are 4 pipes underneath.
2 are joined together and are only the breathers from the top of the tank so not a problem.

1 is obviously the output from the internal pump, and as the top part of the internal hose from the pump sits very high in the tank I'll only lose a small amount of fuel when I pull the pipe off the stub.

But the 4th pipe, the fuel return inlet to the tank appears to sit quite low in the tank, so might just keep flowing when I pull the pipe off the stub.

Don't really want to syphon it out unless I have to.

Thanks

Nasher.

I'm planning to whip the fuel tank off my 1000SSie completely for the first time tomorrow.

For those that have done this before on an SSie, do I need to drain the fuel from the tank somehow first?
It's about 1/2 full at the moment.

There are 4 pipes underneath.
2 are joined together and are only the breathers from the top of the tank so not a problem.

1 is obviously the output from the internal pump, and as the top part of the internal hose from the pump sits very high in the tank I'll only lose a small amount of fuel when I pull the pipe off the stub.

But the 4th pipe, the fuel return inlet to the tank appears to sit quite low in the tank, so might just keep flowing when I pull the pipe off the stub.

Don't really want to syphon it out unless I have to.

Thanks

Nasher.
No mate, just take it off and the fuel will be ok in the tank but you should only get whats in the fuel pipe that will come out, that's how it is on the 900ie (y).

Thanks Wayne.

I'm trying a Carbie 900SS tank on it tomorrow as it will suit the 900SL bodywork better, and the 900SL seat unit should snuggle up to it a bit better.

Nasher.

Thanks Wayne.

I'm trying a Carbie 900SS tank on it tomorrow as it will suit the 900SL bodywork better, and the 900SL seat unit should snuggle up to it a bit better.

Nasher.
Good idea, let me know how it goes and if fuel goes everywhere i will take it like a man and admit my mistake :ROFLMAO: , i had to take my tank off when i got it because there was crap in there and the nylon filter and the end off the fuel pump was blocked, when i took the fuel pump assembly out then the fuel was free to come out, took me a day to get all the crap out of the tank and clean out but what a result afterwards a new bike(y).

From the measurements I've taken it looks like it will drop straight on, but I'll need to machine up a 'Nipple' for the rubber strap at the front, as of course the Carbie has an over-centre latch screwed to the front of the tank to hold it down and the the other half won't fit on the SSie frame.

Nasher.

@Nasher the first time I ever removed a fuel tank fuel gushed everywhere 'Fooookkkk' I thought o_O . In actual fact, it didn't gush everywhere, just seemed like that, it was actually very little, just what was left in the pipes that's all. Just put an old rag under it when you disconnect the pipes - and don't smoke (y)

Thanks Guys

As below the open end of the return pipe is very low in the tank, but the highest point of the breathers and pumped supply are high enough not to just flow out.
343031554436a.jpg

Friday afternoon swapping tanks about went well.

I can confirm that as I suspected pulling the return pipe off the stub results in the tank trying to empty itself, but an old T shirt underneath, a good impression of a little Dutch boy, and a spare piece of fuel pipe to loop between the outlet and fuel return stubs had it sorted.

The Carbie SS Tank does fit the SSie Frame and rear mount, but it's VERY tight back to front underneath.
The only thing it actually touches is the Exact-Fit cables that I fitted, but as I'm not piggybacking them I can shorten the terminals enough to make it work and have a safety gap.

The SSie Fuel sender will fit, which is great as it will then also plug straight in to the SSie Fuel pump whilst it's in the tank.
I've taken the measurements I need and will machine up a new 'Nipple' to fit on the front of the Carbie tank for the rubber strap.

I put the SSie tank back on, as I'm hoping to get a chance to carry on riding it over the next few weeks when the weather plays ball.

I've already converted a Carbie Headlamp/front fairing bracket by replicating all the SSie brackets on it, and widening the frame mount.
And know exactly how I'm going to mount the SL seat unit.

Only thing I need to figure out now is how to set up the Projector headlight I want to use and cut the hole in the right place in the non-headlight Carbie race front fairing.

Nasher.

Friday afternoon swapping tanks about went well.

I can confirm that as I suspected pulling the return pipe off the stub results in the tank trying to empty itself, but an old T shirt underneath, a good impression of a little Dutch boy, and a spare piece of fuel pipe to loop between the outlet and fuel return stubs had it sorted.

The Carbie SS Tank does fit the SSie Frame and rear mount, but it's VERY tight back to front underneath.
The only thing it actually touches is the Exact-Fit cables that I fitted, but as I'm not piggybacking them I can shorten the terminals enough to make it work and have a safety gap.

The SSie Fuel sender will fit, which is great as it will then also plug straight in to the SSie Fuel pump whilst it's in the tank.
I've taken the measurements I need and will machine up a new 'Nipple' to fit on the front of the Carbie tank for the rubber strap.

I put the SSie tank back on, as I'm hoping to get a chance to carry on riding it over the next few weeks when the weather plays ball.

I've already converted a Carbie Headlamp/front fairing bracket by replicating all the SSie brackets on it, and widening the frame mount.
And know exactly how I'm going to mount the SL seat unit.

Only thing I need to figure out now is how to set up the Projector headlight I want to use and cut the hole in the right place in the non-headlight Carbie race front fairing.

Nasher.
My 900ie didn't drop it's lunch everywhere that makes me think that the 1000 is a slightly different set up as it is a twin spark motor, well you can blame me for that fuck up, sorry mate, but that is interesting as you would think the set ups would be identical.
I will look into that just out of interest and will look forward to photo's(y).

After some digging the fuel tank set ups are identical so the fact you had a lot of fuel in the tank must of been why it came out and when i took my tank off the fuel level must of been quite low, well one positive make sure there isn't a shit load of fuel in the tank before removal (y).

Back