SatNav

PeteDuke

New member
I am going to my sisters in Germany then down to Spain late next month, I have an 848, not the best touring tool I know, but it is only a one off.
I don't have a SatNav, I am sure I am going to need 1. I've been into Halfords over weekend, well shall we say kids and chocolate fireguards spring to mind.
Any advise which is best and how it would mount to an 848 would be appreciated. I am told there a couple of useful iPhone Apps available, but I expect that they will eat data. phone will still will need mounting.
 
I have a Garmin 550, which is an older version, which i have used successfully for a few tours. its mounted to the handlebars with a u'clamp and ram mounts, which allow it to be positioned where you can easily see it. the alternative is from tom-tom and its very much user preference over the interface of each system.
I could have tossed mine in a ditch this year. some of the routes it choose were bizarre, but that could be user error. i do find it more awkward than even the inbuilt maps on a phone.
Next year i plan to just use the phone, Ultimate addons waterproof cases and fittings (ram mounts) come highly recommended if you go down that road. Roaming data charges are more reasonable these days and my operator offers it at no extra cost (three).

IMO you will also need an intercom to hear the instructions from the satnav, mine died this year and its very difficult to follow (and dangerous) to follow the route solely by looking at the screen.

Hope it helps
 
Tomtom rider and it comes with complete mounting kit. Everyone to yheir own. I hate the instructions in my ear. Even have it switched off in the van and car.
Alex might have a spare for sale ?
 
Here is Tony's setup on his 999 for our run to WDW in 2014:

36559746282_f441f66380_b.jpg


Like the 848, I imagine, not much real estate to work with. I thought Tony used a modified triple bolt to hold a RAM ball, but I see thats not the case and he's used a RAM plate of some sort, with a U-bolt around the top of his fork leg, with I think a Garmin 550, which I also use.

If you do go for a dedicated system, try and get free for life map updates, many do now anyways.

For FREE however, on iOS and Android, check out Here Maps, downloadable (and Huge sized) mapping:

https://here.com/en/products-services/consumer-app/here-wego-app
 
Similarly, take a look at the NavFree app. I use it on a waterproof android device with good results. I also recently installed this mounting kit, after my previous (plastic) one snapped at 80mph. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G3DVW90 - so far, it has been excellent and comes with multiple mount options.

It's pricey as hell but I really rate the RAM mount. My old bike was tumbled down a road at about XXX mph and into a ditch, and all I had to do was bend the arms back slightly (metal) and it was good to go on the monster! Was seriously impressed by the build quality.
 
I've had a garmin quest for years which I upgraded to a 550lm last year as the quest maps were out of date. Both fitted using Ram mounts, not the cheapest but versatile and quality. Fitted to an R1150GSA and now on a Multistrada. I've also used Nav free on my iPhone without any problems and recently I've been using google maps.

Before last years trip I fitted three bikes with TomTom sat navs using different mounts depending on the bike and what the owners had purchased.

A mate has had 2 Multistradas the first with Ducati sat nav and fitting kit and his current one with the 550lm on Ram mounts. He's has also used his IPhone on the bike and in his van travelling to south of France and around the Pyrenees.

The advice I was given a while ago was simple if you have a mac �� to plan your routes and download to the sat nav then buy the garmin, otherwise there's not a lot of difference between garmin and TomTom.

From my experience know how to use whatever you have and know it's failings, I've been sent up some weird roads and paths just because of an odd setting. Make sure it's easy to see the screen and think about the sun coming over your shoulder. Know how to set your home point and you can take it with you off the bike or if your in the same place for a few days it's easier getting back to base.

I also use the voice prompts they are good to give a heads up to a turn coming up rather than just arriving and finding yourself in the wrong lane, DAHIK ��.

Another mounting option for phones is a tank bag with the specific slot on the lid.

Search 25mm Ball Motorcycle Mount Base for Ducati 848 evo on eBay there's a neat fitting but I can't get any links to work.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom