Portugal

Char

Elite Member
Subscriber
Thinking for a change on our May trip to Spain we might nip into Northern Portugal for three nights as we've done the Picos many times now and also been to Rioja and the Pyrenees areas, Not done Portugal at all.

Thinking of staying in Vila Flor or Chaves

Anyone have any recommendations ? Need somewhere where we can saunter to a choice of good restaurants but don't want to be in too large a town :)
 
I was in Chaves on my Portugal trip in August.

Stayed at the Castelo Hotel, which is a short walk to enough places to eat. No bar to speak of at the hotel, but a great gym and spa. Hotel is very smart and clean. Secure parking if you need it.

 
These are the ‘best biking roads’ copied onto a proper map and may be of use in your route planning.
IMG_1568.webp


I wished we’d spent more time in the top left hand corner, it still remains unexplored for me.
I also found the people away from the usual touristy bits are a bit weird, but that might just be me.
There are some terrific towns and sublime beaches along the coast road (sorry went a bit Henry Cole there) don't be in a rush to get away from Santander.
San Vincente de la Barquera, about 40 minutes West of Santander
IMG_1554.webp


we stopped in Gozon the first night I think
IMG_1558.webp

Sorry, I don’t have a picture of Gozon without a bike in it.
You can’t be in the Picos area without popping into it.
IMG_1620.webp


If I can think of any more reasons to post a photo or two, I will.

Ooh, thought of one
IMG_5268.webp
 
These are the ‘best biking roads’ copied onto a proper map and may be of use in your route planning.
View attachment 92959

I wished we’d spent more time in the top left hand corner, it still remains unexplored for me.
I also found the people away from the usual touristy bits are a bit weird, but that might just be me.
There are some terrific towns and sublime beaches along the coast road (sorry went a bit Henry Cole there) don't be in a rush to get away from Santander.
San Vincente de la Barquera, about 40 minutes West of Santander
View attachment 92960

we stopped in Gozon the first night I think
View attachment 92961
Sorry, I don’t have a picture of Gozon without a bike in it.
You can’t be in the Picos area without popping into it.
View attachment 92963

If I can think of any more reasons to post a photo or two, I will.

Ooh, thought of one
View attachment 92964
Thank you Yes we always take a proper map!

We've done the north coast of spain as far as Oviedo but not been west of there.

We thought we might spin down into Northern Portugal straight from Santander with one stop on the way, three nights in Portugal, then wander back north and along for the last two nights, so those routes are useful.(y)

I don't mind weird - most menus in Spain are in Spanish and we just pick 5 random 'tapas' or similar (although one time 4 of the 5 were potato based)
 
Wife and I did a long weekend in Porto with a number of trips out. (Mainly tasting Port)Not on a motorcycle.
Everybody seemed to speak English and they couldn't help enough
Portugal and the UK have the longest diplomatic relationship of any countries in the world.
Don't go thinking it's Spain with a different language
 
Back
Top Bottom