Ohlins Fork Service.

I had to take the front wheel off my Monster 1100S so I could get a new tyre fitted so thought I may as well remove the forks and change the oil in them as well. I don't need to do the oil seals as they're not leaking and the dust seals are all in good order but although the bike has a full service history (it's a 2009 model, had one previous owner from new for the first 10 years and me for the last 2 years) I have no idea when the oil in the forks was last changed; certainly I didn't do it at the last service. I've done Showas before but Ohlins are a little different in the way their assembled, easier to do on your own at least (so I now know).

First I dropped the forks out of their clamps, then having access to the fork model number, it's on the inside face of the bottom of the fork where the caliper mounts I thought I'd be able to get a service manual from Ohlins (y).

IMG_5028.jpg

Not on your life. FG7380 is not listed on the Ohlins website:(. A bit more research and it becomes apparent that the Ohlins forks Ducati buy, and bear in mind these would have been used on all S and R models from that era are made specifically for Ducati and when it comes to servicing them Ohlins will only point you in the direction of your local Ducati dealer or your local Ohlins suspension centre, they will not provide the general public a service manual or parts diagram for forks.

Fortunately I have a Ducati workshop manual for the bike and fortunately it carries a detailed description of how to strip and service the forks with step by step colour photos(y). Unfortunately, as I later found out, the internals of the forks on mine bear no relation to the internals of the forks as described and photographed in the workshop manual :confused:.

A bit of research on YouTube and I found these two videos that I thought were helpful, each just 15-20 mins long.

DesmoWerx
The Ducati Guy

Now for mine. However, before that, just an aside, I had always had a strange clunking sound that came from the front end of the bike when I went over bumps. I just couldn't identify where it was coming from, I even rode the bike without a helmet to try and hear it better and also had Mrs P walk alongside me as I rode up the road at walking pace finding every bump and pothole I could. All we could guess was that it wasn't the brakes or the headstock but somewhere inbetween, possibly inside the forks, or one of them. As soon as the forks were out of the bike it was apparent there was an issue with the right hand fork. For a start I could extend it to 160mm when the max fork travel is supposed to be 140mm and secondly if you extended it by hand and released it would spring back up as though there was a vacuum inside pulling it back to the 140mm length and when pulled out and pushed back it would make the clunking noise I'd been able to hear. Something was amiss inside that fork leg.

Strip down time to see what's going on.

First the fork cap is undone, (I got an Ohlins fork cap removal tool from GB Motorcycle Products), then it's a case of pushing down the spring and washer to get a 17mm spanner onto the lock nut for the rebound adjuster.

IMG_5016.jpg
IMG_5017.jpg

The first thing that hit me was the smell, it was like rotten eggs, I dread to think how long the oil has been inside there, quite probably since it left the Ohlins factory in 2008😮. So. locknut held, another 17mm spanner can be used to undo the rebound adjuster and remove the fork cap. Now the washer can be held down to take pressure off the rebound locknut and the locknut undone. However, first I measured the distance the locknut was down the thread, in this case, left hand fork, 25mm. (NB although the distance in this case was 25mm I noticed the locknut had not been turned all the way down to the bottom of the thread which I now know is where it should be when they are reassembled.) Once the locknut is off, the washer can be removed and the spring and damper rod can be pulled out. Now the fork can be turned upside down to empty out the oil. Jeez, the colour of it 😮. Not only does it stink but its like treacle. If I didn't know better I'd say it was engine oil, not fork oil. When I serviced the forks on my 20 year old 748 (which had never been done before - but then it's only done 3,500 miles) it wasn't anywhere near this bad.

IMG_5018.jpg
IMG_5019.jpg

400ml of filthy dirty oil, just as it should be - volume wise.

When the fork is turned upside down there are a few other bits that fell out, another washer (no mention of that in either of the two videos linked to above), a white plastic spacer, a metal spacer with a plastic seal on it, the rebound needle and spring.

IMG_5020.jpg

It's now looking like the Exxon Valdez disaster on my workbench :(, however, the left hand fork is now completely disassembled and left upside down for the remaining oil to drain out overnight.

Now for the right hand fork, the one that makes the clunking noise.

Same procedure, unthread the fork cap, but this time, something's different. The fork cap comes off completly, it's not been threaded onto the rebound damper. WTF:eek:. Someone must have been in here before, yet the state of the oil would seem to dispute that. Additionally whereas the locknut on the LH fork had been threaded 25mm onto the adjuster rod the RH one barely made 19mm. I really cannot believe this is how it was assembled by Ohlins in their factory. Also, this one has a circlip installed in a groove on the rebound rod which is retaining the washer and plastic spacer. A quick check of the dismantled LH fork reveals a groove for same but there was no circlip, the washer and white plastic spacer just tipped out when the fork was inverted to drain the oil. I even rummaged around in the old oil just in case but it definitely isn't there. So, I've got a RH fork leg where the fork cap was not connected to the rebound rod and a LH fork leg where there's a missing circlip and the washer and plastic spacer could float freely in the oil. Deffo, someone other than an Ohlins trained technician has been inside these before. What a ball's up.

IMG_5021.jpg
IMG_5022.jpg

When attempting to remove the locknut off the RH rebound adjuster I really struggled to get it fully off, it transpires the top of the thread has been damaged. Inspection of the inside of the fork cap also reveals damage to the thread. It appears the 'clunking' noise was the fork cap bashing down onto the rebound adjuster, oh f**k I thought I'm going to need some new parts here even if I can get the locknut off. Fortunately, with a lot of patience and gradually undoing the locknut, doing it back up, repeating and going a little further each time I managed to get it to cut itself a new thread and repair the damage. It came off and teh rest of the pieces followed out - phew.

IMG_5023 (1).jpg
IMG_5025.jpg

So now both fork legs are left hanging upside down to drain out the last of the shitty old oil over night and fresh oil and reassembly will occur in the coming days.

Note, as the oil seals were not leaking I'm not replacing them at this stage.

I'll update this article when I reassemble the forks.

NB. As the RH fork leg clearly was not doing what it was supposed to be due to it's being reassembled incorrectly by someone at some time in the past, it occured to me that this is probably what contributed to the strange, one sided wear on the RH side of my front tyre :confused:.

IMG_4998.jpg
IMG_4997.jpg

MTF.

Last edited:
Have no fear fellas, ‘tis far from over. I have to find a circlip to replace the missing one and then reassemble them yet. Plenty of time for things to go wrong 😂
There's an Ohlin's Service Centre in Ireland somewhere - or at least there was :unsure:

Have no fear fellas, ‘tis far from over. I have to find a circlip to replace the missing one and then reassemble them yet. Plenty of time for things to go wrong 😂

Paul .... Can I make a suggestion ?
Given that you've stripped down the forks and seen clear evidence of previous gash work ( or downright vandalism )
..... do you not think it's worth fitting new seals anyway ?

It's just so much easier to do at this stage ..... and a real PITA to do later , and the £30 outlay is cheap for peace of mind .....
and insurance against possible leaks in the near future ...
.... just a thought
:)

PS - re stripped threads

That thread linking the top cap to the damper rod is all too easy to strip ( steel rod , small diameter ,alloy cap )
As an example of unreliable info , the Haynes ( for 916 etc ) gives a torque of 32 Nm ...... which is far too high
They give the same figure for tightening the top cap on the outer tube ..... but it is probably correct , since it is
a much greater diameter

Last edited:
Paul .... Can I make a suggestion ?
Given that you've stripped down the forks and seen clear evidence of previous gash work ( or downright vandalism )
..... do you not think it's worth fitting new seals anyway ?

It's just so much easier to do at this stage ..... and a real PITA to do later , and the £30 outlay is cheap for peace of mind .....
and insurance against possible leaks in the near future ...
.... just a thought
:)

PS - re stripped threads

That thread linking the top cap to the damper rod is all too easy to strip ( steel rod , small diameter ,alloy cap )
As an example of unreliable info , the Haynes ( for 916 etc ) gives a torque of 32 Nm ...... which is far too high
They give the same figure for tightening the top cap on the outer tube ..... but it is probably correct , since it is
a much greater diameter
Yeah, I am considering putting new oil seals in, I’m gonna see if I can get some from the Ohlins suspension people in Cork today otherwise I’ll have to order some online and then wait 7-10 days for them to arrive and I’m impatient and want to get it all back together again now and back on the road.

Noted re the torque value of the fork tops. In the Ohlins they are just hand tight and you can loosen them off just by holding the fork tube in your hand, no need to hold it in a vice even. For some reason the Showas are specced at ridiculously tight and have to be loosened off before undoing the pinch bolts in the triple clamps. I’ve never really understood why they need to be that tight, they’re hardly likely to vibrate loose.

For some reason the Showas are specced at ridiculously tight and have to be loosened off before undoing the pinch bolts in the triple clamps. I’ve never really understood why they need to be that tight, they’re hardly likely to vibrate loose.

My thoughts exactly !

In the case of the damper rod-to-cap torque ...... how many rotations would it take to actually get disconnected ?
and how could such a rotation happen ?

As for the cap-to-outer tube torque , it's almost irrelevant because once the outer tube is gripped by the top yoke
the cap is never going to come loose anyway !

In the case of the damper rod-to-cap torque ...... how many rotations would it take to actually get disconnected ?
I don’t know the correct answer, I’ll check when reassembling it, but several anyway. For it to rotate to come off the damper rod it would also have to rotate in the fork tube and ride out of it which would be clearly visible. Can the damper rod rotate during use in the tube and undo itself from below? I suppose in theory it’s possible but I would have thought, due to the viscosity of the oil, highly unlikely.
As for the cap-to-outer tube torque , it's almost irrelevant because once the outer tube is gripped by the top yoke
the cap is never going to come loose anyway !
Absolutely 👍

with regard to the tyre wear on one side, I don't think thats down to one fork leg fubar than the other. the reason I say this is because with my FGR forks the comp damping is one side, the rebound is the other. They work in tandem!

I would say your tyre wear is down to poor adjustment, incorrect tyre pressures, (ll leave out the size and weight of the rider) and the fact its exhibited on the right side is because we travel on the left and there are more right hand bends at lean like roundabouts.

there's an interesting article on rebound and compression damping on you tube from Dave Moss where he reads the tyre wear like the lips on the forward edge of the tread or the back edge are different things.....worth a look

Way back in 2000 I bought a 1995 900SS. It had Showa forks, not Öhlins, but when I came to replace the fork oil, like you I found that one fork leg had the damper rod unconnected to the for cap nut. I'd been wondering why the LH rebound adjuster just seemed to click forever. Fortunately there was no damage to anything and all the parts were there. The fork oil in mine though was very thin, as I'd expect but also very silvery, presumably from worn off alloy!
However they worked fine after I put them all back together properly.
With regard to your tyre wear; both legs of the forks are clamped together, so they will always act together and whatever is wrong with one fork leg will affect the overall action of the forks. The wear on your front tyre may well be down to the forks not damping properly but wear on one side is normal, it's due to the camber on the road and that we ride on the left side of the road so the right side of the tyre does more miles than the left. Seems weird but think it out.

with my FGR forks the comp damping is one side, the rebound is the other. They work in tandem!

Yeah , I read about that , and my first reaction was " That's bonkers "
Then I sat and thought about the physics for a while , and if you consider the fork legs , yokes , axle and clamp screws
to be a single rigid structure , then sure ..... why not ?

Obviously , if you applied it to a car , then that would be truly bonkers .

@Derek
both legs of the forks are clamped together, so they will always act together and whatever is wrong with one fork leg will affect the overall action of the forks

I'm going to have to ponder that one for a while , and also the issue of uneven tyre wear being related to it ....
.... I'm already having second thoughts about the " single rigid structure " assumption above ^^
:whistle:

lets blow your mind then .......

Well , not so much ...... and going back to our previous discussion , not even surprising ,
because if asymmetric damping works well ( rebound in one fork leg / compression in the other )
then it would be expected that differential spring rates would be "averaged out " in exactly the same manner .

I'm still mentally chewing over the " rigid structure" assumption that this all depends on .

If the " corners " of that structure are able to even slightly flex away from 90 degrees , in real driving conditions ,
then all bets are off .

Well , not so much ...... and going back to our previous discussion , not even surprising ,
because if asymmetric damping works well ( rebound in one fork leg / compression in the other )
then it would be expected that differential spring rates would be "averaged out " in exactly the same manner .

I'm still mentally chewing over the " rigid structure" assumption that this all depends on .

If the " corners " of that structure are able to even slightly flex away from 90 degrees , in real driving conditions ,
then all bets are off .
nah thats a minute very smaller than a small thing argument/POV...... and a non starter.....

If Ohlins do it the way they do, id kinda go with their research knowledge excellence and logic.

Hence 2 triple clamps 🤔

Yes , I see what you are saying , and that is going to be rigidly fixed , without any doubt
.... but to my thinking it's the wheel/axle end of things where distortion will happen .

There's no triple clamp down at that end , which is where all of the "twisting" forces will be exerted
..... keep in mind that it's a long length of unbraced fork , and that the legs can move completely independently

.... but I'm just shooting the breeze here ..... :)

Yes , I see what you are saying , and that is going to be rigidly fixed , without any doubt
.... but to my thinking it's the wheel/axle end of things where distortion will happen .

There's no triple clamp down at that end , which is where all of the "twisting" forces will be exerted
..... keep in mind that it's a long length of unbraced fork , and that the legs can move completely independently

.... but I'm just shooting the breeze here ..... :)
In an upside down fork the top clamps and fork outers are basically fixed and solid, as Andy said any movement is extremely small and considered negligible. All structures have some give in reality but are relatively small enough to be ignored

Back