NW Highlands tour

borderduc

Desmodromically delirious
I had pencilled this in for the week ending 28 May, which is not far off and so it would be a good idea to get it planned out.

For those who are interested, May is generally a good time weather-wise and tourist traffic-wise to tour the Highlands. It's never exactly busy but the quieter the better. My idea was to take 5 or 6 days, starting on 22 or 23 May to do the following route...

Edinburgh
Lochgilphead
Inverness
Wick
Ullapool
Skye
back home via Mallaig, Strontian, Glencoe

I know that for some the preference would be for a weekend rather than 5/6 days so the route could allow the weekenders meet up at Ullapool on the Friday night and do the route from there on. I'm open to good suggestions, though, as ever.

I believe Phoenix & co of the DSC are at Ft William on the weekend and so it might be be good to meet up, say, at Mallaig and ride over to Glencoe.

Ranald and Davie have said they are interested - anyone else ?.

I think accommodation will have to be B&B or youth hostel.

Who's up for one of the best biking tours in Europe ?
 
Me,Me,Me.

borderduc said:
I had pencilled this in for the week ending 28 May, which is not far off and so it would be a good idea to get it planned out.

For those who are interested, May is generally a good time weather-wise and tourist traffic-wise to tour the Highlands. It's never exactly busy but the quieter the better. My idea was to take 5 or 6 days, starting on 22 or 23 May to do the following route...

Edinburgh
Lochgilphead
Inverness
Wick
Ullapool
Skye
back home via Mallaig, Strontian, Glencoe

I know that for some the preference would be for a weekend rather than 5/6 days so the route could allow the weekenders meet up at Ullapool on the Friday night and do the route from there on. I'm open to good suggestions, though, as ever.

I believe Phoenix & co of the DSC are at Ft William on the weekend and so it might be be good to meet up, say, at Mallaig and ride over to Glencoe.

Ranald and Davie have said they are interested - anyone else ?.

I think accommodation will have to be B&B or youth hostel.

Who's up for one of the best biking tours in Europe ?


Sounds like a braw time to me.:D
Give us a week to pacify the wife and i'll probs be up for it.;) ;)
 
borderduc said:
I had pencilled this in for the week ending 28 May, which is not far off and so it would be a good idea to get it planned out.

For those who are interested, May is generally a good time weather-wise and tourist traffic-wise to tour the Highlands. It's never exactly busy but the quieter the better. My idea was to take 5 or 6 days, starting on 22 or 23 May to do the following route...

Edinburgh
Lochgilphead
Inverness
Wick
Ullapool
Skye
back home via Mallaig, Strontian, Glencoe

I know that for some the preference would be for a weekend rather than 5/6 days so the route could allow the weekenders meet up at Ullapool on the Friday night and do the route from there on. I'm open to good suggestions, though, as ever.

I believe Phoenix & co of the DSC are at Ft William on the weekend and so it might be be good to meet up, say, at Mallaig and ride over to Glencoe.

Ranald and Davie have said they are interested - anyone else ?.

I think accommodation will have to be B&B or youth hostel.

Who's up for one of the best biking tours in Europe ?

Sounds good David, if you are planning on stopping anywhere near Ft William its the MTB world cup that weekend, all hotels and B and B's will be booked and you may struggle to find accomodation. I may be able to join you for a couple of days if i go to that race.
 
David,
As you know I would love to do this trip, on all my favourite roads too, but I can't get time off that week :( and I'm flying off to Turkey for a fortnight on the 28th :cool: :) :) so I can't make the weekend either.

Oh weel - you win some, you loose some
 
id really like to do this, hope my bikes up to it! did similar last may but found a little pub in Invermoriston with a few rooms and stayed for 6 nites riding out from there each day. did skye, inverness, mallaig etc. awesome roads and scenery and people. doubt ill make the planning meeting but if i can help from here i will.
 
wish i could take the time off those are brilliant roads and scenery so good it makes you want to stop and look a lot.
i`ll be jealous of all who go
 
SteveK said:
id really like to do this, hope my bikes up to it! did similar last may but found a little pub in Invermoriston with a few rooms and stayed for 6 nites riding out from there each day. did skye, inverness, mallaig etc. awesome roads and scenery and people. doubt ill make the planning meeting but if i can help from here i will.

Steve, If you don't fancy the whole trip (I can do a long weekend - Sat evening to Tuesday evening?) we could rent a van, stick the bikes in the back and tootle up on spec. If we don't find accommodation we can sleep in it! Three bikes in the right size van, three seats in the cab, three days riding, it could be a bit of a laugh. I've done it before.
 
i've booked a hotel in Ft William, 25, 26, 27 will be up at Nevis Range for the mountain bike event. Might be able to meet up if you are close any of those days, should have the bike with me. if you are gong to be around Kyle of Lochash and heading south i'd join you for the blast back towards Ft william.
 
I've not consulted with everyone who is definitely going (can those folks please add names to the list of participants calendar ?) but if we try to link up with Phoenix & Co then Sat 27th could be a ride from Skye to Pitlochry via Mallaig, Ardgour and Glencoe. We've been invited to BBQ at Pitlochry, which might be a nice end to the tour before we all head home on the Sunday.

Working backwards through the itinerary, that would mean, say, riding down from Ullapool to Skye on the Friday. However, that's just my suggestion and I'm open to any good suggestions from anyone who is definitely going on the tour.
 
Slight change BD as we're now in Newtonmore. However sat or sun bbq still on if you guys want to pop in. Other than that let me know your plans and we'll see where we can catch up.:)
 
Have sent you a separate email. Change of plan as I'm it as far as a touring group goes. Will probably go to Murrayfield on wednesday for the Barbarians game and then see how the mood takes me at the end of the week. Need a new back tyre for the 749 anyway.
 
David, I may ride up to Ft William Thursday returning Saturday night or Sunday depending upon the forecast. Let me know what you'll all be doing at the weekend, there is a rather large event on Nevis Range if you wanna watch pedal bikes come down a hill very quickly :)
 
borderduc said:
Have sent you a separate email. Change of plan as I'm it as far as a touring group goes. Will probably go to Murrayfield on wednesday for the Barbarians game and then see how the mood takes me at the end of the week. Need a new back tyre for the 749 anyway.

We may yet get a group coming up your way for a blast on Sunday - check the relevant thread and join us if you're around/it happens!
 
rockjock620 said:
We may yet get a group coming up your way for a blast on Sunday - check the relevant thread and join us if you're around/it happens!

Hi all. Just been reading this thread. You guys are gonna be riding past my house (well as near as dam it given we are in the Highlands).
How many of you are coming, Have you sorted out accommodation, how long are you now staying, Do you want me to have a word with him upstairs for good weather? Perhaps we could meet up or you could come here for a nose bag and water trough or perhaps you could come and take the @@@@ out of my Imola....

Let me know
 
Back
Top Bottom