Newbie from Surrey

Ginge

Hi all,
I found this forum through @Exige so just registered yesterday. I have a 1996 Ducati 750SS with only 6k miles on the clock so it’s in pretty goo shape all round! Looking forward to going in the conversations and the fun!

Attachments

• 886E973B-FA32-4E70-BE58-9553B7DC69C4.jpeg
    886E973B-FA32-4E70-BE58-9553B7DC69C4.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 018D313F-43FB-4EC9-B0C5-37640EE1F28D.jpeg
    018D313F-43FB-4EC9-B0C5-37640EE1F28D.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 89E2EB05-F7C6-464E-8777-A035F13D8336.jpeg
    89E2EB05-F7C6-464E-8777-A035F13D8336.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 118
  • F5EA9AC6-E64D-4BEF-894B-A887C8A10C6D.jpeg
    F5EA9AC6-E64D-4BEF-894B-A887C8A10C6D.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 123
Thanks everyone. I love my SS but it doesn’t appear to love so much at the moment! From what ended up being a simple blocked return port on the master cylinder has resulted in me shelling out on new Brembo discs, Brembo pads and a set of braided HEL lines as the mechanic couldn’t work it out sadly.

Now the oil Filter (genuine ducati) that he fitted has started dripping quite excessively. Sadly he’s 200 miles away in Yorkshire (where I had it stored over winter) so I can’t take it back to him. I’ve ordered a new K&N filter to see if that sorts it out....just need to buy a bloody torque wrench now!

Then it’s just down to trying to work out why it simply cut out on the weekend as I was riding along quite happily. Breather pipes seem to be clear so maybe it’s a fuel tank thing?

like I say, I love it, but not sure if it loves me 😂😂😂

Thanks everyone. I love my SS but it doesn’t appear to love so much at the moment! From what ended up being a simple blocked return port on the master cylinder has resulted in me shelling out on new Brembo discs, Brembo pads and a set of braided HEL lines as the mechanic couldn’t work it out sadly.

Now the oil Filter (genuine ducati) that he fitted has started dripping quite excessively. Sadly he’s 200 miles away in Yorkshire (where I had it stored over winter) so I can’t take it back to him. I’ve ordered a new K&N filter to see if that sorts it out....just need to buy a bloody torque wrench now!

Then it’s just down to trying to work out why it simply cut out on the weekend as I was riding along quite happily. Breather pipes seem to be clear so maybe it’s a fuel tank thing?

You could just try nipping up the filter, too loose is bad but too tight is also bad. I once had a ducati filter leak when it warmed up but only had to nip it up and top up oil. Rumour has it non ducati filters are worse so give it an 1/8th of a turn when cold and see 👍

You could just try nipping up the filter, too loose is bad but too tight is also bad. I once had a ducati filter leak when it warmed up but only had to nip it up and top up oil. Rumour has it non ducati filters are worse so give it an 1/8th of a turn when cold and see 👍
very sensible Barry Hell..... are you drunk?

Yep, Sev has been a massive help! I’m nearly there with it I think..... just need to sort the oil leak and understand why it cut out on me in the weekend. Maybe there us crap in the tank but it’s only done 6k miles and look clean at first glance but you never know.

Last edited:
Yep, Sev has been a massive help! I’m nearly there with it I think..... just need to sort the oil leak and understand why it cut out on me in the weekend. Maybe there us crap in the tank but it’s only done 6k miles and look clean at first glance but you never know.
always worth doing the fuel filter on those as a precaution, and one thing to know is that the pump sits quite high in the tank, so even though you can hear sloshing there's a very good change that the fuel level might be lower than you thought.

If you're nervous about doing it, just pop round and I'll show you how. - Have you bought a haynes comic yet?

Last edited:
It arrived today! The cut out issue is a bit strange. I filled up the tank only 15 miles before it happened and it had a brand new fuel filter about 100 miles ago.

always worth doing the fuel filter on those as a precaution, and one thing to know is that the pimp sits quite high in the tank, so even though you can hear sloshing there's a very good change that the fuel level might be lower than you thought.

If you're nervous about doing it, just pop round and I'll show you how. - Have you bought a haynes comic yet?
The pimp?

As I read it, all I could hear is

Welcome fella,
just a thought on your "cutting out", did you notice if the electrics went off, or was it more likely a fuel issue ? It is not un-common for the ignition relay to fail, mine did exactly that at a set of lights, then started working again. Initially I thought it was fuel related. Just something to consider.
The relay is located behind the fairing, right-hand side of the headlight, (or it is on my '94 SS).
I assume your fuel tap is fully open ?, (just checking the obvious ! 🤣).

Last edited:
Back