Nae broon pipes for me!

Derek

Elite Member
Subscriber
Not much to do just now so I took the pipes off the Scrambler and polished them. They came up really good too :)

M6oKgN2W72961gZ7nFdXuEvkhfiSuGFcD9-DO7nJewGSmHSXHSskJEhTi_Owey7Eglb9o9tu_b2ZQSAzJYrbNk8R-1o8_rei857hefDjJXN8DqNdH9u--1naRKLxgYPFKX08xA8SbohIyszHwEabI3jmwuo_Eo_DI6O85eMH4RoOpKwMYsazIy43SZPebLJ6J9AtFpQEMTIywtgQHHxFvcu09nphzM3Mq8NRQc159Eulydulpmiu7-qtF-SqpAGcqhxMLdDweYOaxJNQaVBsjJ_FxBD98OAViNuIA_q2HRijkh84iEdczO0-T_Cq3Uq78Wn42AZu3og7Em__gifingS4bBuoHEPG_gInBMpfiPu-oQ1t9CaVgbG70FOy-A8uKcFpXzipev9PR_qkbrSqdbEVKlOGG3wT2keBR_mEmXuOkZnBDdqfO_VWoMwclQKKznaTPtAVcx8ru7DTVByY9njYycXpnINM7BMPKcLE5I8rAUCicR7rX8WNeq76Egu-CoazBL2ty0FscQf686uE1BGuMfDOoryfi1ZYhQ4ldsDd=w1278-h958-no


X_XiyoWmsIruCSWmTEW2QOp1bkc6Qgaxvg80L3pBRBctZpLoGxhKagZ0HYQcW3h29WLQkElMZOAM_5ShN95IrOz8DXjy0kPv4ogR8wrILjyqRBGgEFLzpXi3FLs4RuVf6jq8MtNOpLFY4VGLSrZEOZx6q0lHEolYMwDmmDXkvC5z6FZk9918zsJfXBQzz5ozUHIrcPKuFIPgL5U2JkY_MaPjo1x2Cv8cc-OK7Z6VtM_H7CebpSPODl7nG6QJ2OoHTyKxi_3WvjYO_BMxAGq6k-7Lm6k9tKNgsPcskp-I2bALvsrWVQ8REkCC5J7xS0Xp36e_c2d_U-vy5KXDpflSfWnkR_bmfx8dnM2z7E8B37flAXc49B1tzNuaQ8ObOgxArfb-uR8PxtM2vU8zlQwdEnMMBhMdjHrza1Nq9ZA3ujKWDceF5cWz9JgmbRT_7bd7c3L9JrmymU03JrFfkW0IoC0la_uvSW-fN_lMM6XwLwNAWrpIh6iJFuEyYUCJBfK8HuVgKnSatgxje9dZUYBoiqHw3_bAg1jr4CygUCLFdcMW=w1278-h958-no
 
Should have been a tutorial Derek! :p

It's something I've considered in the past and I really ought to do now my bikes in bits but unlikely I'll get the chance, or more accurately, the uninterupted time to do it properly.

Looks good though.
 
Should have been a tutorial Derek! :p

It was remarkably easy actually. Of course the pipes have only done a couple of thousand miles so hadn't deteriorated too badly but then the finish from new wasn't that great either and they had definitely taken on a brown hue with some mottled bits.
At the last Lanark Show I bought an all round polishing kit from thepolishingshop.co.uk. I'd polished a couple of alloy items and a brass pepper mill but had never got round to using it in anger.

I started off with a sisal wheel on the drill and the grey heavy cutting compound.
sisalmop.jpg
lbzhalfbar.gif

I just whizzed all over the surface until it had a uniform silvery finish.

I followed this with a white close stitched mop and green medium cutting compound.
WHITEMOP.jpg
439Thalfbar.gif

After this treatment it was looking very nice and shiny.

Finally I used the general finishing compound and the loose G quality cloth which brought the final polish up a treat looking more like chrome plate.
wdrmop.jpg
bluehalfp164.gif

I had to run the drill a good bit slower to stop this mop from flying apart. It's obviously not designed for high speed.
The whole job took me about 2 1/2 hours. 30 min to take the exhaust off, about 90 min to polish the pipes and about 45 min to refit them.
There are polishing compounds specifically for stainless steels which might have been even better but the kit I got was well worth the tenner and there is plenty left to do another 2 or 3 exhausts, and it works for titanium too. :)
 
Thats actually rather useful Derek, thanks for that.

I have all that stuff in my garage I think( dont know if I have the grey compound) perhaps I ought to give it a go.

It may have taken you two and half hours but I imagine it would take me longer than that and my main concern is getting some of it done and then not getting the time to do the rest.
I did manage to polish off the unfortunate stamp from my endcans a while back, I was stupidly please about that.
 
Start off with the bits that are seen then. If you run out of time then maybe the remainder won't be so noticeable ;)
The grey compound and the sisal mop did most of the work. The rest just brought up the gloss.

I had a similar unfortunate mark on the Multi's Termi, it met the sam fate. I left the mark on the Scrambler because it also has a great big plate that says something about Only for use in USA and Canada. Not for road use. Does not comply with emissions laws, blah, blah, blah... It's all underneath out of site fortunately. ;)
 
Did you run the wheel across the diameter of the pipes or just in any old direction that they contacted?
 
I was inspired to go polish my pipes last night when I saw your results. I have 150 mm dia mops mounted on a bench grinder ,and like you have grey green and white ,which in my case is specifically for stainless.
It was when polishing that I noticed how rough Termignioni pipes are ,full of die marks and wrinkles ,and the welding ,looks like Stevie wonder did it !
Brass neck comes to mind when considering the price they charge.
 
Inspired by oor Derek's impressive display of the art of home polishing, I ordered one of these kits a few days ago.

It arrived today and, when I get the chance to use it, I'll put up some before and after shots.
 
Got a similar kit to Derek's , just started with sisal mop and black compound till it was a uniform, clean finish. Then as said , used other two stages. Got a small pillar drill, so just ran the mops in that and kept moving pipe round till I was happy with the finish. The rear pipe took about 40 mins, start to finish. Front will obviously take a bit longer.
 
Ah ok. I thought you might be doing it another way; dunno why though.

I started my rear pipe today too. I'm not finished the first stage (sisal mop) yet but it's looking good so far.
 
I've polished the pipes on my 999. They do start to go golden quite quickly, which I don't mind but when they start to get too dark, I polish them back up with Autoglym liquid metal polish. Works a treat.
 
Back
Top Bottom