Monster alloy tank

Geoff

New member
Hi,
I'm very interested in getting an alloy tank for my Monster 1000. I've been in touch with this company and here's the response. He has made several tanks for John Fallon Made in Italy and his work looks very impressive. To reduce the costs how much interest is there in having several tanks made ? More than happy to visit company etc but we need a none swollen tank. My own tank has some swellen but I can take all necessary pictures as requested.
I already have a brushed alloy tank for my 1098 which I've added some paint detailing to make it unique.
Posted on uk monster site but as yet no interest.

I can certainly make a petrol tank for your Ducati Monster.
But to do so, I would first have to borrow your tank in order to create the
tooling which would be time consuming.
A one-off tank would therefore be very expensive [ in the region of
£3000.00] but a good way to reduce the price would be to gather several
orders. Perhaps you could contact other Monster owners and find out if you
can generate more interest?

In the meantime, it would be very helpful if you could send me some photos
of your tank showing several views and details including the underside. This
would help design the tooling and work out how to adapt the fuel system
[i.e. fuel pump, pipes, breather...]

Please let me know your thoughts.


Kind regards,



Laurent Amann
FdEng / Internal Combustion Engine Design and Development

Design Engineer
Metal Fabrication & Coachbuilding



Unit 1A, “The Hut”
Rougham Industrial Estate
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP30 9ND
United Kingdom

l. +44 (0) 1359 408 152
m. +44 (0) 7540 854 916

e. laurent@storik.co.uk
w. www.storik.co.uk
Facebook: @STORIKdesigns
Instagram: @storik_designs
Twitter: @Storik_moto
 
Hi Geoff,

Looks like you enjoyed the Midgie Masher!

Thought Id have a look on eBay for you...

£1000 cheaper:

s-l1600.jpg



http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mo...Tank-Aluminum-Alloy-Petrol-tank-/192286879853

Cheers - Frank
 
Hi
Don't think the s4rs tank will fit my monster. In addition, if I can raise enough interest hoping to get them cheaper and it's uk made. A new plastic tank costs £1242 + vat.
The one on gumtree is metal but won't replace a plastic tank lots of difference especially the fuel pump and pressure relief valve.

Posted this on uk monster forum

Sorry for delay in response but just back from 7 days travelling the wonderful roads of Scotland.

Anyway my title was a bit mis leading as only interested in compatible tanks with 2004 m1000. In 2004 there was an overlap with the metal/plastic tanks but my own is plastic. Need to do some more research but it would appear from 2005 the following monsters shared the same tank with different livery. All 620, s2r 800, 1000 and of course the M1000.
Always been interested in purchasing an alloy tank and approached several fabricators but none interested due to fuel pump, catches and breather. Too much work. In the case of this guy he designs/manufactures the necessary tooling to press the tank which I much prefer and if done correctly will ensure reproducibility and reduced delivery times once tooling produced. Basically the money/time is in the tooling.
Putting cost into context a new tank will set you back £1242 + vat and it's plastic and with an ever increasing ethanol content will only get worse.
With a mileage in excess of 160,000 my bikes worth nothing as a whole and would make more money selling items on eBay but very attached to my monster and more than happy to buy an alloy tank. At present I would estimate around 5mm expansion on the right hand side but have no intention of buying a new or second hand plastic tank. In addition the tank could be polished or brushed effect allowing owner to customise tank with a paint scheme. Did this for my 1098 which makes it unique.
 
Back
Top Bottom