Midge Masher (Saturday 26 August)

Admin

Gaffer
The Mysterious Midgie Masher Flypast
midgie.png

Saturday 26 August 2006
Desmodromic Fly-Swatting on Some of Scotland’s Finest Biking Roads
midgie2.jpg


A run aimed at Ducatisti who want to sample a healthy dose of Up North biking. Following on from the tremendous Raid The Lakes in June and the Dalesman’s Dash in July, it’s now Scotland’s turn to show off some roads fit for Ducatis and so on Saturday 26 August it’s the Mysterious Marathon Midgie Masher Flypast. Not just any old run, it has grown in popularity over the last few years and this year it will be….
Mysterious like those old-fashioned mystery tours which keep you guessing, and you’ll find out where it’s going only when you turn up at the start/finish at Moffat (just off the M74, exit 15) for a 8.45 departure on Saturday morning (clue: we’re going to the seasides). We will need an early start because it is a marathon of a run – in fact a tad over 450 miles, which get better and better as the day goes on !. A bit of a challenge, although the mileage should be “water off a Duc’s back”, so we need to be away early and there will be plenty of rest breaks so it’s not like an endurance test. The scenery along the route will be pleasant and variable and the roads will be mostly quiet. To add a bit of fun we will split up into smallish groups, with some doing the route clockwise and some anti-clockwise, with meet-ups during the day to exchange notes, pleasantries and friendly insults. Avoid a long ride to/from home on the day by staying overnight in Moffat on the Friday and/or Saturday ?. A great opportunity to socialise with other UpNorth Ducati owners over a lemonade or three in the local pubs. Previous UpNorth gatherings have been a load of fun. That will allow you to ride home on the Sunday after a decent night’s rest or, if the weather dictates, the run can be done partly on Saturday and partly on Sunday. Common sense and safety will prevail.

If you are up for the challenge of this long-distance, high-velocity swatathon then add your name to the calendar event

And remember never use this
midgie3.jpg


when you can use one of these

midge4.jpg


Wee beasties, be very afraid !.

Useful Information

How to get to Moffat

It’s in Dumfries and Galloway, just off the M74 junction 15. Coming from Edinburgh and the Borders direction, it’s a well-known stopping place on the A701 or A708. It’s about a couple of hours from Manchester and abut an hour from each of Glasgow and Edinburgh. A nice little town too.

Accommodation in Moffat and surrounds

There is a good campsite in Moffat (Moffat Camp Site tel 01683 220436) which caters for group gatherings. Advance bookings are encouraged in summer, and it would be good to be able to make a DUN group booking in advance so that they can allocate pitches together. If that campsite is full there is another one a mile away at Beattock (Craigielands Country Park 01683 300591).

For B&B and hotel accommodation look under Moffat at …

www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/wheretostay/

There are several pubs and restaurants in the town which could serve as meeting places for some UpNorth socialising on the Friday evening before or the Saturday evening after a long day in the saddle mashing insects across Scotland.

Schedule (proposed)

Friday 25 August

Pre-Masher evening meet-ups in Moffat with fellow Ducati UpNortheners staying overnight in Moffat ready for an early start. Swat up your road maps on the fly even….

Saturday 26 August

08:30 Meet ready-fuelled at starting point in car park at Edinburgh Woollen Mill (at back of filling station at the Beattock end of Moffat). Route will be revealed (each stage as you set off) plus sorting into groups and leaders. The idea is to ride in groups of ten maximum, each with a leader and a sweeper, which will help those who are not familiar with the territory. Participants are encouraged to bring completed emergency contact forms (download from the website), which they should hand to their sweeper. Leaders and sweepers will have each other’s mobile phone numbers.

08:45 We’re off in our various groups in different directions and will rejoin for various stops during the day !. The 450-mile route will be broken down into about 9 manageable stages separated by rest breaks, so it does not become an endurance test. We do not want to spoil the day by risking accidents so the pace will be as steady as it is safe and sensible to go, but will take into account the varying abilities of the group. Please do not pass the leader unless you have previously agreed with him to do that. At junctions make sure the following rider has seen where you have gone and is following you. That way nobody should be left behind and you should not try to ride faster than you feel comfortable. The sweepers will come along and make sure nobody gets forgotten. It’s safety first (with fun following close behind). Therefore if you get tired and need a break, or if you have a problem with the bike, then just stop or slow down and wait for the sweeper.

Finally, back to base after an ectstatic day’s fly-swatting. We will have eaten en route and so liquid refreshments and rehydration will now be the priority, plus a decent amount of banter about the events of the day.


The route has been put together by Borderduc and KD (Duncan) Blamire as something a bit different from your normal run. Those of you who know the terrain it will enjoy it and those who do not know it will find an enjoyable surprise or two on the day. Here’s hoping for a good turnout, maybe even some from far “dan saff” who’ll find it well worth the long journey up here and will be most welcome to come and discover our UpNorth roads !.

More details can be posted as things progress. For now any questions, good suggestions or useful ideas are welcomed. Post them here.

Emergency contact details

Just in case of emergency please fill out a contact form and hand it to your group leader or sweeper before setting off on Saturday morning.

Liability

In this litiginous day and age it is important to understand that everyone takes part in this run voluntarily, at their own risk, and that everyone is responsible for their own actions.


Borderduc
KD Blamire

Download the attached pdf if you want to print this out
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wish it were a Sunday too, I am usually open the Saturday. Still I shall be there, will just have to get a babysitter!
 
And for this one folks, there's no need to worry about having motorcycle airobatics taking place in your rear veiw mirrors, I will make a point of being right up the front to show you the way;) your going to just love it:D
 
kdblamire said:
And for this one folks, there's no need to worry about having motorcycle airobatics taking place in your rear veiw mirrors, I will make a point of being right up the front to show you the way;) your going to just love it:D

Thought you were going to do the flypast bit.....!
 
gordj65 said:
fraid i cant do it saturday folks got to work im afraid:(

Come on Gord, you are the bloody boss for gords sake. Take the day off man!!! You know you want to:thumbs: :thumbs:
 
gordj65 said:
fraid i cant do it saturday folks got to work im afraid:(
Go on Gordon get a babysitter for the shop....... think Ducatis, fab roads, girls in bikinis ;)
 
as tempting as it is i cant im off the week before for a wedding two weeks on the trot would just be taking the urine
 
gordj65 said:
as tempting as it is i cant im off the week before for a wedding two weeks on the trot would just be taking the urine
A'l come roond on the Friday night and hoy a brick through ya window, then yu'll have ti get it boarded up,so you'll have to be closed on the Saterday:eek:
 
borderduc said:
Thought you were going to do the flypast bit.....!
Saving that for the Saterday night, but without the aid of a bike and using 8o% proof alcohol fuel:D it's a long time since I last suffered banging hangover, and I think that time has come.:beer::beer:
 
I'm certainly aiming to do this having enjoyed the Midgie Masher in the past, however I have reservations over a couple of points.

450 miles is a hell of a long time riding. At best, other than on motorways you have to ride very fast to maintain a 50mph average. Even if we manage 50mph average that's 9 hours riding without allowing for stops. With a stop at the proposed intervals of say 15 min each that's another hour and a half. One of these stops will be for lunch so I'd better add another 45 minutes. That's now 11 hours and 15 mins. Since we are unlikely to manage an average of 50 mph and most of the stops will take longer than planned we are more likely to take 12 to 13 hours to do the whole journey. Starting at 9.00am, that means eventually getting finished at around 9 to 10pm.
Don't you think this is just a bit ambitious? Or am I being a wimp? (I expect I know what answers I'll get to that)

From my point of view, since I have about 2 1/2 hours riding to get to Moffat I would be best to stay over on the Saturday night but when am I going to find the time in that schedule to get organised with the campsite and get my tent up? The answer might be to come on the Friday and pitch up the night before, spending 2 nights camping! - I think not. It would also mean fitting the detestable panniers.
Maybe I should check out the cost of B&B for the Saturday but the 26th is horribly near payday meaning I'll be too skint.

So I'm swithering :(
 
Derek said:
I'm certainly aiming to do this having enjoyed the Midgie Masher in the past, however I have reservations over a couple of points.

450 miles is a hell of a long time riding. At best, other than on motorways you have to ride very fast to maintain a 50mph average. Even if we manage 50mph average that's 9 hours riding without allowing for stops. With a stop at the proposed intervals of say 15 min each that's another hour and a half. One of these stops will be for lunch so I'd better add another 45 minutes. That's now 11 hours and 15 mins. Since we are unlikely to manage an average of 50 mph and most of the stops will take longer than planned we are more likely to take 12 to 13 hours to do the whole journey. Starting at 9.00am, that means eventually getting finished at around 9 to 10pm.
Don't you think this is just a bit ambitious? Or am I being a wimp? (I expect I know what answers I'll get to that)

From my point of view, since I have about 2 1/2 hours riding to get to Moffat I would be best to stay over on the Saturday night but when am I going to find the time in that schedule to get organised with the campsite and get my tent up? The answer might be to come on the Friday and pitch up the night before, spending 2 nights camping! - I think not. It would also mean fitting the detestable panniers.
Maybe I should check out the cost of B&B for the Saturday but the 26th is horribly near payday meaning I'll be too skint.

So I'm swithering :(
David and I have done the rout,done the stops,done the meal breaks and the maths,so don't worry it works,we did more miles on Sunday (490) and if I hadn't had my off and later hung about on a village green for more than an hour I would have been home at 20:00 and the traffic we encounterd (which we will not get on our Masher rout) at least halved our average speed. Also have you read this Derek? re camping.
pdf.gif
Masher Sticky small.pdf (1
 
Last edited:
I'm up for this Kd as the brace will be off by then.
Might be an idea to see how many want to camp and whose into luxury. I'll do any but it would be good if we were all near each other for a Sat night:beer: :beer: :fart: :cheers: :drunk: :moon: :D
I'm lookin at arrivin the Fri night for the whole weekend experiance.
Jots reminder in callender.;)
 
Big girls blouses or what. I may yet come up saturday morning.......miles are easy up there.......and sleep on a log saturday night.........tankbag should be fine for at least a weeks holiday.......who's the hardest, Yorks or Jocks? What about the second half of the ride........:D
 
Will you be publishing a route before hand David?? we'll not be doing the route but might make it to the lunch or tea stop.

With regard to distance, it all depends what you want from a day out, the Midge Masher is a big ride with the focus on roads and scenery other upnorth events have been more about the social side with less riding (RTL is only 120 miles Saturday, 80 Sunday), its great that we've got the 2 types of event so folk can chose. 450 miles is a lot if you aren't used to it or have never ridden that far before, we did a little over that last year meeting the Masher at Ballachuilish and it did take all day and well into the evening albeit with a couple of stops thrown in. if you can't make the full day why not plan on meeting it for lunch??
 
id maybe come down for the saturday night and stay over nite just for a laugh but will have to see nearer the time
 
Tam said:
I'm up for this Kd as the brace will be off by then.
Might be an idea to see how many want to camp and whose into luxury. I'll do any but it would be good if we were all near each other for a Sat night:beer: :beer: :fart: :cheers: :drunk: :moon: :D
I'm lookin at arrivin the Fri night for the whole weekend experiance.
Jots reminder in callender.;)
Tam,we have spoken to someone at the campsite in Moffat and he told us if we can give him numbers in advance he would try and put us all together as one group,David and I plan to go down on friday afternoon/evening,he on his bike and myself in my van with my bike and our camping gear in the back,I am willing to take anyone elses gear down as long as I have the room and theycan get it to somwhere in the Edinburgh area the previouse week as i'm up that way most days and then return it the following week/weekend.:thumbs:
 
kdblamire said:
Tam,we have spoken to someone at the campsite in Moffat and he told us if we can give him numbers in advance he would try and put us all together as one group,David and I plan to go down on friday afternoon/evening,he on his bike and myself in my van with my bike and our camping gear in the back,I am willing to take anyone elses gear down as long as I have the room and theycan get it to somwhere in the Edinburgh area the previouse week as i'm up that way most days and then return it the following week/weekend.:thumbs:

What a star. Does that include free airobatics:D
 
Well I don't do the dark arts of the canvas...so I'll be booking B&B on the Friday and Saturday :thumbs:
 
eonan said:
Well I don't do the dark arts of the canvas...so I'll be booking B&B on the Friday and Saturday :thumbs:
it'll be good to meet you, just make sure you don't take on too much in terms of the ride - it's a @@@@ of a long day, be prepared to say enough is enough. Let me know what B&B deal you get - I may do the same.......:D
 
kdblamire said:
Tam,we have spoken to someone at the campsite in Moffat and he told us if we can give him numbers in advance he would try and put us all together as one group,David and I plan to go down on friday afternoon/evening,he on his bike and myself in my van with my bike and our camping gear in the back,I am willing to take anyone elses gear down as long as I have the room and theycan get it to somwhere in the Edinburgh area the previouse week as i'm up that way most days and then return it the following week/weekend.:thumbs:
anybody wanting to take kdb up on this offer can drop their kit off at my shop and kdb can pick it up from here;)
 
gordj65 said:
anybody wanting to take kdb up on this offer can drop their kit off at my shop and kdb can pick it up from here;)
Good idea Batman:thumbs:
 
gordj65 said:
anybody wanting to take kdb up on this offer can drop their kit off at my shop and kdb can pick it up from here;)

Yeah, after you've searched thru it first. Watch oot folks,things tend to appear on e-bay.;) :D
 
I like these big runs,I pretty much did 400 odd miles on the last Masher so adding in the distance to the start may make this a very long day indeed.
I'm less convinced about the opposite directions however,even when we all go in the same direction we end up so strung out as to lose the sense of riding in a group with the tail enders arriving at stops just as the leaders have rested and are setting off again.
Would it then be an idea to have a 'short cut' for those less hardy souls and to enable tail enders to catch up?
It would be nice to have a bit of a 'photoshoot stop' where all the Ducati's are coralled for this purpose,as welcome as other marques are, its good for sites like us to have decent pics of our days out,I'm sure if it were explained like this we wouldn't offend anyone or make them feel unwelcome.
 
Dave G said:
I like these big runs,I pretty much did 400 odd miles on the last Masher so adding in the distance to the start may make this a very long day indeed.
I'm less convinced about the opposite directions however,even when we all go in the same direction we end up so strung out as to lose the sense of riding in a group with the tail enders arriving at stops just as the leaders have rested and are setting off again.
Would it then be an idea to have a 'short cut' for those less hardy souls and to enable tail enders to catch up?
It would be nice to have a bit of a 'photoshoot stop' where all the Ducati's are coralled for this purpose,as welcome as other marques are, its good for sites like us to have decent pics of our days out,I'm sure if it were explained like this we wouldn't offend anyone or make them feel unwelcome.
And is there a contingency plan in case of bad weather?
 
Back
Top Bottom