Man down at Cadwell

bigtwin

Member
Not one of Martin's contingent though! I said hello in passing but didn't get a chance to stop and chat!

What a bummer though to crash on only the second session of the first day!

Apparently, the bike in front blew it's engine and I went down on the oil, C'est la vie (excuse my poor French!). I understand that I wasn't the only one to go down?
My recollection was that the back end stepped out and nearly had me off but I stayed on. Next thing I knew I was highsided and was aware that I was in the air and the bike was following me. I remember nothing after that until I was in the medical centre.
The damage? A broken pubic ramus? (it's part of the pelvis), a painful left shoulder blade, two sore fingers on my left hand and a graze/burn to my left hip. The broken bone has to heal itself (no ops or casts/pins) but the consultant reckons it's crutches for 6 weeks.

I'm being discharged this morning so need to learn how to use crutches!
I've not seen the bike yet but hope that we're both fixed in time for the Masher!
All the best.
Ian
 
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
I've been discharged and been back to Cadwell where the guys had already loaded the bike into the back of the motorhome. From what I can see it doesn't look too bad! The LHS Gilles have been ripped off (not at the sacrificial joint though!), the R&G bungs (fairing and rear axle) have done their jobs though. Only visible (from my rather limited vantage point - peering into the back of the M'home) damage is to the alloy cockpit fairing mounting.
I don't know if these are sided or a single piece for both sides. Either way, I definately need one! Anyone got one for a 999?
I heard a whisper that DavieRavie wasn't using his but I suspect that's just a malicious rumour!
 
That's really bad luck Ian ....hope you recover soon and be careful on those crutches. See you at the Masher:thumbs:
 
Was sorry to hear about your off Ian.

Glad you're relatively ok (i.e you can get on here :) ). It could have been much worse on oil at the Gooseneck so am pleased to hear you're "walking wounded" and nothing worse.....

Hopefully I will have got a pic or two of you before your excursion so have a look at my thread on here for the link and let me know.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gc
 
Sorry to hear about your off. Hope you're managing to get around on your crutches and that they've got some Ducati stickers on them.:thumbs:

Hope you're fit for the Masher.:D
 
Sorry to hear of your off, if you'd been at Lincoln Hospital I could have brought you some grapes :eek:

A friend of mine was there that day and told me about the 2 air ambulances coming, he said he was parked next to a really nice guy, he didn't catch his name, he never came back :confused: wonder if it was you?

Hope you're feeling better soon, see you at the Masher? :lol2:
 
Sorry to hear of your off, if you'd been at Lincoln Hospital I could have brought you some grapes :eek:

A friend of mine was there that day and told me about the 2 air ambulances coming, he said he was parked next to a really nice guy, he didn't catch his name, he never came back :confused: wonder if it was you?

Hope you're feeling better soon, see you at the Masher? :lol2:

Yes, there were two heli-trips from Cadwell. I was on the first but dont know who was on the second. I dont think I spoke with anyone until I was moved to the A&E Ward where I spent the night so, unless your friend was someone on the ward, I dont think it was me he spoke with!

Hopefully, both the bike and I will be all sorted for the Masher. If you're Lincoln based I'm guessing that you'll be hooking up with others for the trip North. I'm in Derby and in previous years have hooked up with RockJock and others so might see you en-route.

Cheers

Ian
 
The problem with these helicopter trips is that by the time you are airbourne youre oot of yer face on morphine!!! Well thats my perception!!! As to the Masher, I will be fit to go so cxan I hook up with the "southern" team as they head north, I live just south of the border on the A697, but the A68 is close (ish):D
 
The problem with these helicopter trips is that by the time you are airbourne youre oot of yer face on morphine!!! Well thats my perception!!! As to the Masher, I will be fit to go so cxan I hook up with the "southern" team as they head north, I live just south of the border on the A697, but the A68 is close (ish):D

We went up the west side last time I made the Masher (on the B7076). I'm guessing that the A68 is more East?
 
Ian,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you and bike are on the mend and can still manage the Masher,

DB
 
Ian
Just noticed you are from Derby so you will go up the west side, may well be leaving from Ann's in Carlisle so that still could be good, hows the recovery going mate....I am back on a bike after my off, problem is its a Kwaka ER6 :eek: Monster should be fixed soon!!! Trying to get a referral to an orthopedic consultant to sort my shoulder cos I look like a freak!!!
Let me know how you are getting on mate
Cheers
Bruce
 
Stewart
The use of Ann's ER6 as my "recovery" mount seems to be getting you active!!!! Don't worry out on a real bike as soon as its fixed!!! Wot you taking on Sat for the Track Night....
B:D
 
Ian
Just noticed you are from Derby so you will go up the west side, may well be leaving from Ann's in Carlisle so that still could be good, hows the recovery going mate....I am back on a bike after my off, problem is its a Kwaka ER6 :eek: Monster should be fixed soon!!! Trying to get a referral to an orthopedic consultant to sort my shoulder cos I look like a freak!!!
Let me know how you are getting on mate
Cheers
Bruce

I'm just taking it easy at the moment and taking the prescribed pain killers!:chill: The consultant reckoned I'd be on crutches for 6 weeks which takes me to 2 weeks before the masher. It'll be a close run thing methinks!

I'm not doing too bad either in finding parts for the bike. So, provided I can actually fit the replacement parts, hopefully the bike will be ready. I have my fingers crossed that there's no hidden damage!

Take no notice about the leg pulling re the ER6. If push comes to shove I might have to use my wife's Hardly Ableson for the trip - only joking!!!!

Ian
 
Ian:D
take care pal, take it slow but with meaning!!!
Look fwd to having a beer at the masher with you, we can compare injuries!!!
Take it easy
B
 
Back
Top Bottom