Looking for someone

eonan

New member
Does anyone know of a person or firm who could make me a one off mud guard? I have a pretty good idea of the design I want...and it could be in metal, fibre glass or even carbon fibre.

:thumbs:
 
Try your local tech college if you dont get a maker straight away.
They'll usually have facilities for laying fibreglass, bashing metal, etc.
You seem to be adventurous enough to try new stuff, why dont you have a go at making your own?
I'm going to attempt my own nosecone with twin projector lights(if ever I get the time:rolleyes: ),no idea what to do yet but willing to try and have got the bits already,just need to chop stuff up and make a frame for the lights:comp2:
...and bolt it on
...and get it to work
...and make it not look crap
 
I would (try), it's just that I don't have any facilities here...I don't even have a space to work in now...I've been well and truely thrown out of the conservatory. I kind of took the p*ss a little with my one month over winter ;)

I dream of having a little workshop to play in...sigh
 
There are people out there who would do it, no problem, but it will be expensive for a one-off item. Design work, wooden plug construction, two part mould construction and finally lay-up, make, fit and trim the final guard is a long process. That's in GRP (fibre glass).

I can do it for you if you are interested. Carbon is also possible, but you can probably double the price. A basic GRP job alone could take 10-20 hours of total construction time alone, plus material costs. It might not be worth it - unless you are reall loaded; really fussy; thinking of selling more......

I have done a lot of work with GRP in the past, particularly canoe and mould construction, so know the methods and many of the pitfalls.
 
rockjock620 said:
There are people out there who would do it, no problem, but it will be expensive for a one-off item. Design work, wooden plug construction, two part mould construction and finally lay-up, make, fit and trim the final guard is a long process. That's in GRP (fibre glass).

I can do it for you if you are interested. Carbon is also possible, but you can probably double the price. A basic GRP job alone could take 10-20 hours of total construction time alone, plus material costs. It might not be worth it - unless you are reall loaded; really fussy; thinking of selling more......

I have done a lot of work with GRP in the past, particularly canoe and mould construction, so know the methods and many of the pitfalls.

Yikes...it's not yogurt pots and a cornflakes packet then :eek:
 
rockjock, how easy/difficult/expensive would it be to make something like this? All I’m looking for is a simple arched bracket with a fibreglass guard…

guard.jpg
 
best way would be to buy an original to use for a mould - that takes a @@@@ load of time out of the equation. Then it depends on how much work you can do yourself. Difficult to say price but probably at least six hours work making the mudguard, some curing time in between, some finishing to be done (smooth edges, possibly fine filler and rub down, then paint job poss too) after. It could cost you a couple of hundred in labour - that would be my guess at my charges, plus some materials, poss 60quid more.
 
Nimue said:
And here was me thinking you'd got us mixed up with a lonely hearts website....

OK, so I may have alteriar motives...and hey you clicked on the thread :hug:
 
Back
Top Bottom