local dealers

gordj65

New member
on the subject of local dealers with the recent closure of alvins in edinburgh in mind i thought id say a few words.
For those of you who dont know me i have a wee shop selling clothing and accessories.so i may be slightly biased.
in your local area, youve probably got a few shops that are trying to compete with the big comapnies, like M&P Infinity etc and all the guys who do catalouges etc.
If these guys, your local dealers are like most local guys, they are working hard to supply you a decent service and trying to make a living at the same time.i looked at the new M&P catalouge (bet ive spelt that wrong) and theres very little in there that i cant supply apart from the tacky horn that plays different tunes,i just wouldnt supply that,and the prices are hellish similiar and in some cases cheaper and i feel sure that is the case with most local dealers.
I know MCN had for a wee while ran a campaign to get people away from their local dealers and to use the big centres like riossi etc ,(i wonder what the real reasoning was behind that, maybe to do with advertising income) so that you the biker, could allegedly get a better deal.But i dont feel that is neccessarily always the best case.
If you go local you will generally be able to see and try things before you buy,you have someone to speak to face to face if something isnt right and if nothing else it gets you off your bum and out of the house for a bit.
While i think there is a place for catalouges and internet companys especially with things like overpriced arai`s etc ,i really think more folk should give theyre local dealer a try,you might be surprised at what you can get .

id be really interested in what others think about this:dunno:
 
Last edited:
I always TRY and use local if I can, especially produce, local Herdwick lamb is very good at the moment, chops are a bit small at the moment though !

I buy what I can from my local corner shop, magazines, beer etc, as far as beer is concerned he does me a better deal than the supermarket, he always takes parcels for me i I am out so everyone wins !
 
Gordon,

Experience has shown it's always more convenient to use the local dealer.

However, when that dealer has done you a dis-service then it's time to vote with your feet.

In your case, I've only been in the shop once but immediately felt at ease, comfortable and you did do use a great deal on Tanya's bike gear - nothing to worry about here mate, I will defo be back!

The M&P's of this world have only shown to me in the past that they're only interested in profit before people. Not a trait I would be keen to reward regardless of how close they are to me.

Now, get that Arai dealership in the bag ;) and you'll be sorted!!

Cheers!
 
Back
Top Bottom