Kill Switch

Nimue

New member
Can't remember who it was, but on the Lakes run someone was talking about trying everything to start a bike up until realising the kill switch was still set - was it Davie?

Got caught out myself today, was ready to change the spark plugs - anything! - when that little light went on in my head (I think there's one in there) and yes, guess what was in the off position?

That was the end of another long story, all I'll say here is many thanks to Steve 748 and Ducati Leeds for cannibalising a showroom Monster for a clutch lever, greatly appreciated!
 
Jan, It is something we have all done at one time or another and if someone says they havn't there telling porkies!
You can imagine how I felt when I needed a clutch lever and they didn't have one in stock! "I've got a black one", "no I need a silver one now!" "Sorry on back order, come back next Week!"
Many thanks Charlie for coming to the rescue!:thumbs:
 
Davieravie said:
Nope...not me.....but Ive already made that mistake. I keep quiet about these things :o
It's no good me keeping quiet Davie, I've realised that all my iffy moments have a way of spilling out (mostly in the pub) so I say it like it is and get it over with!
 
Nope it was me!!!

Spent hours trying everything on the bike, had the RAC out who couldn't work out what it was and were ready to disconnect alarm and battery etc.

Had a comedy call with Duc Manchester, was on the phone to Jon in Valencia and finally gave up and put it back in the garage. An hour later a mate got it going. Turns out mates kids had flicked kill switch and as I never used to use it I just didn't pik up on it!!

Doesn't say much for the RAC though :D
 
Don't say much for us girlies either, eh, Lily? :o

No, didn't mean that, I speak only for myself!
 
Nimue said:
Don't say much for us girlies either, eh, Lily? :o

No, didn't mean that, I speak only for myself!

I did it too on Saturday :o

But my excuse is I'm only a learner :)
 
Very funny Lilly.

I spent 5 minutes once trying to muscle the outside can off the bike, then gave up. Only to realise I had taken the wrong spring off.
 
Nimue said:
Don't say much for us girlies either, eh, Lily? :o

No, didn't mean that, I speak only for myself!

That's the funniest bit about it though... when I rang Duc Manchester to tell see if they knew what the problem was Darren the bloke there asked very tentatively and politely if maybe i had the sidestand down??

I replied in non too polite a fashion that I 'may be a girl' but i wasn't 'fecking stupid!!'

How stupid did i feel when i finally turned up there later in the day and had to admit to the real problem :embarassed: :wave:
 
Unfortunately, things like this are inevitable when you give a girl a mans bike :D

Lights blue touch paper, stands well back!
 
Scottch said:
Unfortunately, things like this are inevitable when you give a girl a mans bike :D

Lights blue touch paper, stands well back!

special sauce with your curry sir ;)
 
Pre-kill Switch..

Years ago I inherited a post-vintage 1936 Excelsior Manxman 350 racing single, restored it. No kickstart so run and bump was the only option. Petrol on - gear selected (albeit compression seemed a bit down) spark of sorts. Off we go then! 3/4 of an hour and many rest stops later still not firing. Son makes contact with a welfare check - asks what the 'shiny box is behind the engine(pointing to the Albion 4-speed box with gear indicator nicely aligned and pointing to '4'. Waited 'til he'd left, knocked it down three and 'bingo' - compression back and firing. Pillock!:confused: :comp2:
 
i spent ages once trying to get my carb right on a vespa. it wouldnt tick over no matter how hard i tried and i" knew" a bit about carbs and wasnt about to admit defeat,eventually i gave up and went to a mate having to rev the thing like buggery when he just stepped up and pushed the choke in.id been trying to set the tickover on full choke and the engine sensibly wasnt having any off it. doh
 
Scottch said:
Unfortunately, things like this are inevitable when you give a girl a mans bike :D

Lights blue touch paper, stands well back!
No more sympathy when YOU get a cold!
 
Couple o' years ago when i had an R1 (I know!!), I was sat on the bike, and every time I put her in gear she cut out.

Till someone pointed out my sidestand was down:comp2:

DOH!!!!!!!
 
first day i got the 996 i went to show it off to some mates. "wait till you hear it" i said and pressed the start button not realising the engine stop switch had been disabled on the side stand and id left it in gear! oh how we laughed....:o :o :o
 
gaz3014 said:
Couple o' years ago when i had an R1 (I know!!), I was sat on the bike, and every time I put her in gear she cut out.

Till someone pointed out my sidestand was down:comp2:

DOH!!!!!!!

And how many other people have done that one;) Me for one.
Even better when u do it twice :fou:
 
Back
Top Bottom