Kick Start

Nimue

New member
Seeing my little words of wisdom, rather than 'newbie', brought a fond memory back. A mate of mine kick started his Desmo Darmah (900? 860?), after loads of effort! That was way back camping at the TT 80 - does that date me or what?
 
:D :D
Nimue said:
Seeing my little words of wisdom, rather than 'newbie', brought a fond memory back. A mate of mine kick started his Desmo Darmah (900? 860?), after loads of effort! That was way back camping at the TT 80 - does that date me or what?
Dear Dear I remember when every bike had a kick start. You must be a real old B*st*rd like me.:D :D :D
 
Nimue said:
Seeing my little words of wisdom, rather than 'newbie', brought a fond memory back. A mate of mine kick started his Desmo Darmah (900? 860?), after loads of effort! That was way back camping at the TT 80 - does that date me or what?

Cough, check out the average age in the stats at the bottom of the forum home page :D I can remember when every bike had a kick start and electric starts were a rarity :)

oops Ranald beat me to it :) too slow, a sign of old age
 
Nimue said:
. A mate of mine kick started his Desmo Darmah (900? 860?), after loads of effort!
Aaaah that brings back memory,s , My Darmah would start first kick if you followed the correct procedure , with one exception , If there was more than two people watching it was a barsteward . On one occasion at a motorway service station with at least five or six other bike riders watching it kicked back and slapped me on the calf , which promptly dropped me to my knees in agony :eek: but it was a great bike , I may have to seriously think about getting another :)
 
Screwy said:
Aaaah that brings back memory,s , My Darmah would start first kick if you followed the correct procedure , with one exception , If there was more than two people watching it was a barsteward . On one occasion at a motorway service station with at least five or six other bike riders watching it kicked back and slapped me on the calf , which promptly dropped me to my knees in agony :eek: but it was a great bike , I may have to seriously think about getting another :)
can anyone remember when the test was just a one part thing which took half an hour when tyres had square sides and waterproof clothing was a bin liner with holes in it :comp2:
 
Neepdocker said:
:D :D
Dear Dear I remember when every bike had a kick start.

I've heard of these!

Is that when you need to ply the missus with some booze? :booze:

Don't tell her I said that!
 
gordj65 said:
can anyone remember when the test was just a one part thing which took half an hour when tyres had square sides and waterproof clothing was a bin liner with holes in it :comp2:

gordj65,
Is the 65 your age then ? :D:D
 
gordj65 said:
can anyone remember when the test was just a one part thing which took half an hour when tyres had square sides and waterproof clothing was a bin liner with holes in it :comp2:
Summit like that. 250cc and under. C11Gs woo hoo BSA Bantams screaming all over the place, Lambreta TV175s Umm the good old days. Neither my mates nor myself could buy or build something fast enough to satisfy our lust for speed, not even my mate Als supercharged Bonneville diddnt do it. Couldnt wait to pass my test (I didnt and got busted for it too). Whats wrong with bin liners with holes in?:confused:
 
65 my age

cassiopia said:
Summit like that. 250cc and under. C11Gs woo hoo BSA Bantams screaming all over the place, Lambreta TV175s Umm the good old days. Neither my mates nor myself could buy or build something fast enough to satisfy our lust for speed, not even my mate Als supercharged Bonneville diddnt do it. Couldnt wait to pass my test (I didnt and got busted for it too). Whats wrong with bin liners with holes in?:confused:
65 could be my age i feel that way most mornings when i fall out of bed but lambrettas tuning them till they exploded after 5 yards ridiculous sized carbs that used to suck old grannies of the pavement and noisy exhausts before they became a fashion item.
also remember when road rage never had a name it was only fair play for the pillock that cut you up.and car doors were meant for kicking:comp2:
ah the labours of a misspent youth
 
Good job im just a young un :) as i wouldnt have lasted 5 mins in the olden days ;) with kickstarts, ive just had to part with my husaberg as i dislocated my knee trying to kick it.

Phil.
 
Screwy said:
Aaaah that brings back memory,s , My Darmah would start first kick if you followed the correct procedure , with one exception , If there was more than two people watching it was a barsteward . On one occasion at a motorway service station with at least five or six other bike riders watching it kicked back and slapped me on the calf , which promptly dropped me to my knees in agony :eek: but it was a great bike , I may have to seriously think about getting another :)
You're just a bit late, Screwy. M&S Westgate Road had one in last year, classic black and gold
 
I had a Jota in 1980, which had a problem with the electric start. It was my only transport. No kick start meant I had to bump start it every day for going to work and back, and every weekend for rides out. Every fuel stop was an event which drew onlookers - and there were plenty of fuel stops! I did this for six months, until I discovered the fault and fixed it. (My local dealer tried numerous times to fix it without success!) The bike weighed around 500lb, and I weighed 140lb. Was I fit then, or wot??
 
There is a newbie on this site with a Pantah, I think it is anyway, I know Gizmo will love it, also know where there is a Laverda Jota with drops and Astralite wheels, covered up for all eternity, I always love it again whenever I see it, bright Orange !
 
dseered said:
There is a newbie on this site with a Pantah, I think it is anyway, I know Gizmo will love it, also know where there is a Laverda Jota with drops and Astralite wheels, covered up for all eternity, I always love it again whenever I see it, bright Orange !

bright orange should always be SFC 750's, if there was one of them hidden away i'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm trying to picture Weeveetwin on that Jota, they were a pig of a bike to haul around. I loved going to ILOC rallies and seeing them though.
 
I will see what I can do, its in a mates garage, its owner died last year so unsure of what the deal is, are they a triple ? Its butt ugly I know that :D
 
weeveetwin said:
I had a Jota in 1980, which had a problem with the electric start. It was my only transport. No kick start meant I had to bump start it every day for going to work and back, and every weekend for rides out. Every fuel stop was an event which drew onlookers - and there were plenty of fuel stops! I did this for six months, until I discovered the fault and fixed it. (My local dealer tried numerous times to fix it without success!) The bike weighed around 500lb, and I weighed 140lb. Was I fit then, or wot??

Thought it may have been this one till I rechecked the dates. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAVERDA-JOTA-...yZ122172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 
dseered said:
I will see what I can do, its in a mates garage, its owner died last year so unsure of what the deal is, are they a triple ? Its butt ugly I know that :D

Wash your mouth out with soap young man !

Whilst not having the looks and grace of the late 70,s early 80,s Dukes,the laverda 3C,Jota and Mirage where great looking bikes and anyway Laverda made combined harvesters so what do you expect :D
 
cassiopia mentioned BSA bantams screamin all over the place --- What ??? anybody ever heard a BSA bantam screamin, ring de ding ding maybe , I'm smiling right now at the thought of a bantam screaming, --- no it couldnt happen. When I bought a 900ss about 8 years ago it was the first bike I ever owned with an electric start, indicators and mirrors. Took me about three months to stop hand signalling ( still do it yet sometimes) and about a year to remember to turn the indicators off. Nothin wrong with kick starts but I dont know if I would be willing to go back to them, lot of effort involved sometimes, had to take the helmet and jacket back off again on numerous occasions if the bike decided not to play, stop , cool down , wipe sweat out of eyes, have a fag and start again. No, Electric start will do thanks and mirrors are real handy with these full face helmets, need to have the ability to turn your head like an owl to get a look behind ( either that or I'm too stiff) No comments about that please
 
My bantam hardly made a sound, the fookin thing never went , it was my first pit heap bike :)

Piccie from outside the Laverda factory in 1997 or 98 I think, just bikes being made then :D
 
Gizmo said:
My bantam hardly made a sound, the fookin thing never went , it was my first pit heap bike :)

Piccie from outside the Laverda factory in 1997 or 98 I think, just bikes being made then :D
Your bantam would have been one of many pit heaps, D14/4, last of the line, ultimate incarnation of the bantam breed, or a bantam bushman , no words to describe them !!
Saw my first laverda(s) in 71 in sorrento, 750 twins, looked the business , wanted one with a vengance but they were a bit exotic for my pocket then
 
drewV2 said:
Your bantam would have been one of many pit heaps, D14/4, last of the line, ultimate incarnation of the bantam breed, or a bantam bushman , no words to describe them !!
Saw my first laverda(s) in 71 in sorrento, 750 twins, looked the business , wanted one with a vengance but they were a bit exotic for my pocket then

D3 actually Drew, plunger rear!! wish i still had it now :D How they got away with it for so long I'll never know!!

I wanted an SFC Laverda or MV 750S america since I was 13 or 14, dreamt about them and couldn't afford one, still can't now :D I suppose i should have bought the MV 1000 instead of the 999S really :crazy:
 
weeveetwin said:
I had a Jota in 1980, which had a problem with the electric start. It was my only transport. No kick start meant I had to bump start it every day for going to work and back, and every weekend for rides out. Every fuel stop was an event which drew onlookers - and there were plenty of fuel stops! I did this for six months, until I discovered the fault and fixed it. (My local dealer tried numerous times to fix it without success!) The bike weighed around 500lb, and I weighed 140lb. Was I fit then, or wot??
Another TT memory (85 this time) was being taken round the course on mad sunday on a Mirage. The gearbox seized at the Cregg so we limped back in 1st and he had it shipped home the day after.
 
Back
Top Bottom