Just had a thought...

Many moons ago I had a 910 brutale. The bars it came with were too high. I bought bars for a monster which were a lot flatter and it transformed the riding experience
I had a 650 Bandit and put Renthal flatter bars then standard, differant bike and put a dog bone rear shock riser, it dived into corners like they weren't there. I do regret selling it but i out grew it and got bored with it, it was money towards my Ducati 900ie, great move that. (y)
 
I’ve never toured on a touring bike so naked is all I’ve known

I guess if your crossing continents they’re good but scratching down Spanish roads I wouldn’t want any other bike

Watching the over 60’s GS & Africa twin dominoes is always good fun on the ferry though 🤔😉

When I give up this bike it will be replaced with a old school sports car
 
Did the flat bars compromise the daily comfort generally higher bars are more comfortable where I'd imagine flat bars drop your shoulders and upper body??

From memory @Swiss T likes the flat bars over the standards.
I like the comfort of the higher bars - the Scotchland trip highlighted that over the Supersport on the Ireland trip.
That brings me back to the first post…the switchable bars. We’ve got movable steering wheels in cars - how about changeable bars? Turn a sports bike into a sports tourer when on the motorway. Or a super naked into a superbike in the twisties.
 
From memory @Swiss T likes the flat bars over the standards.
I like the comfort of the higher bars - the Scotchland trip highlighted that over the Supersport on the Ireland trip.
That brings me back to the first post…the switchable bars. We’ve got movable steering wheels in cars - how about changeable bars? Turn a sports bike into a sports tourer when on the motorway. Or a super naked into a superbike in the twisties.
Personally I like the slightly higher wider bar on a naked as i find it easier to drop it into the bends but I'm coming from 250kg GSs.. I never thought I'd love the SDR so much it was bought as a toy at the start of covid as no big trips planned but I love the super naked buzz now 👌
 
From memory @Swiss T likes the flat bars over the standards.
I like the comfort of the higher bars - the Scotchland trip highlighted that over the Supersport on the Ireland trip.
That brings me back to the first post…the switchable bars. We’ve got movable steering wheels in cars - how about changeable bars? Turn a sports bike into a sports tourer when on the motorway. Or a super naked into a superbike in the twisties.
Check out Gillies Adjustable Handlebars. I had them on a 900ssie years ago. Not something you can change in 30 seconds but from memory there was a fair bit of movement only restricted by the fairing in the case of my bike.
 
Last edited:
As a kid I had adjustable handle bars on my Lil 100cc yam. I undone the mounting bolts slightly so ya could move the bars if ya wanted to .
This was done because there was a walk bridge over a river near where I lived, it had these bars set up to stop motorcycles riding over it but with my handle bars pushed down. I could sneak the bike under em.
That was the m.o when the cops chased ya, they had about 2 miles to drive to other side of the bridge, by which time ya were safely home. Or you'd wait for them then duck back under the bars . Hours of entertainment!!
 
I fitted the flat bar because I didn’t feel connected enough to the front. The rearsets are also set 20mm rearward from standard. I now have the feel I want & don’t notice any difference in comfort. I had the opportunity to back & forth with it because my lad has the same bike & I’m very happy. My lad has now made the same changes to his. Interestingly, the spy shots of the new bike show clipons with a rise which puts them at a similar height.
Two caveats; I’m a tinkerer & aways finding something to mess with if it needs it or not. I also seem to have slowed down a lot in the last few years so it’s not so much about going fast; just feeling comfortable & confident.
 
Back
Top Bottom