Its no wonder we get a bad name !

dseered

New member
Been out with my other mates today and they were on fairly good form it has to be said, Kendal, Shap, Orton, KS, Sedbergh, Hawes, Devil's etc.

Twice, I say fecking twice today I was nearly taken out by riders coming the other way, overtaking like complete arseholes, why ??

First sun of the year, I don't know, one thing I do know though, they were both Gixers, and each of them had a stupid helmet mohican !

Says it all really !
 
Had same yesterday on the Sedburgh Hawes road. A nobhead on a black Mille on the wrong side of the road approaching a bend I had just exited. Was fairly close however because I was out with a mate who wanted to take it easy I was probably only doing about half the speed I would have been normally. Any other day neither of us would have had a chance. Was bad enough that I nearly spun round to catch him and have "words". There are some complete @@@@@@s out there who first time out since last summer think they are invincible. Unfortunatley I was told there was another bike fatality today on the Caton to trough of bowland road. Very sad indeed.
 
Heard the same Martin!! People don't seem to learn 'eh!!

Was goin through Horton, doin 30 in a 30, and some T&*"T in a Mille went flyin past me!!:mad: What the !£$%^!!!
 
AndySPS said:
Glad you survived. Bit of a silly generalisation to make though.

true, i saw all sortas of bikes being ridden by donkeys today, 2 up CBR 6 pulled out to over take on A6 to find me coming towards him. Its a sunny Sunday so lunacy is the norm, you gotta feel sorry for the ambulance crews and police that spend the day scraping the mess up, is it any wonder they clamp down at times ??

Another fatality near Appleby today according to the police car at Hartside this afternoon :(
 
I try not to go out on Sundays, or just stay local. Usually out Sat or during a week day, Sundays are just too dangerous this time of year.

Anyone out tomorrow???
 
One near Horton in Ribblesdale on Saturday I heard too. As you say there are many, many morons out there who have no idea how to ride or more importantly how to behave. I would have supported you in chase had I been there Martin - I have done it to car drivers, bus drivers and mountain bikers before now, both on and off road!

It's really funny when you track down the muppets in the Nova at the lights, six or eight hairy arsed, lycra clad, sweaty and dirty MTBers surrounding the care, leaning on the bonnet and yelling out loud don't half put the willies up 'em!
 
Paul748 said:
I try not to go out on Sundays, or just stay local. Usually out Sat or during a week day, Sundays are just too dangerous this time of year.

Anyone out tomorrow???

I'll be out tomorrow night with Linzi on the ickle 125 a steady pootle down A6 and back :) We went out this morning despite the L plate on back and me sitting behind her a couple of bikes still did the 2 of us on a set of bends. you'd have thought they'd have given as learner rider a bit of space but no, incoming.....
 
AndySPS said:
Glad you survived. Bit of a silly generalisation to make though.

Sorry Andy, not a generalisation, both bikes were Gixers, both had Helmet mohicans, one purple, one green, I was out with a gixer, I am in no way a Ducati snob, that is fact matey !
 
Gizmo said:
I'll be out tomorrow night with Linzi on the ickle 125 a steady pootle down A6 and back :) We went out this morning despite the L plate on back and me sitting behind her a couple of bikes still did the 2 of us on a set of bends. you'd have thought they'd have given as learner rider a bit of space but no, incoming.....


Mikey, if you wanna stop for a brew give me the nod, just seen Janet she says Hi to you both !
 
dseered said:
Mikey, if you wanna stop for a brew give me the nod, just seen Janet she says Hi to you both !

Linzi don't do stopping/ starting yet and you live on a hill, she's never tried to park and get off bike on one yet :)

last time i saw Janet was in a bar near Chamonix, me and linzi were on a ZX9 touring, went into this bar and i'm looking at her thinking "is it or isn't it Janet?" anyway, it was :D She's been working in Japan ain't she?? Still got the fancy to go and do a motorbike tour there.
 
She has been biking all weekend, looks fantastic, she is working for a management training company in the Lakes but does travel worlwide !
 
dseered said:
She has been biking all weekend, looks fantastic, she is working for a management training company in the Lakes but does travel worlwide !
She works for Impact, me bosses wife keeps in touch with her. She spent a long time in Japan 2 years ago, speaks and writes Japanese now!
 
Gizmo said:
She works for Impact, me bosses wife keeps in touch with her. She spent a long time in Japan 2 years ago, speaks and writes Japanese now!


Yep Impact, great company to work for I hear, she looks really well, great girl !
 
rockjock620 said:
One near Horton in Ribblesdale on Saturday I heard too. As you say there are many, many morons out there who have no idea how to ride or more importantly how to behave. I would have supported you in chase had I been there Martin - I have done it to car drivers, bus drivers and mountain bikers before now, both on and off road!

It's really funny when you track down the muppets in the Nova at the lights, six or eight hairy arsed, lycra clad, sweaty and dirty MTBers surrounding the care, leaning on the bonnet and yelling out loud don't half put the willies up 'em!

Yes witnessed the aftermath of the one just before Horton on Saturday. The people with the fallen rider waved us past and I knew it was bad by just looking at their faces. Was on the last fast righthander before the fast last bit to Horton. I felt bad for the lad I was with as he has not been up there for a couple of years since he hurt himself quite badly (at only 40 mph!) Roundabout the same time 2 years ago we lost a close riding mate up there and another lad he knew quite well within a week or so. Also the same day another mate that wasnt out with us hit a jeep head on and is still in a bad way now. My friend Tom who I was out with was all for giving up biking and sold his sports bikes but kept his Suzuki 1400 retro thingy just for popping out on for errands etc. For the last 18 months I have kept saying to him that when he was ready I would have a potter up to Hawes with him. The day he picks to go out this happens.

He phoned me today as he had been up to Windemere in his car and decided to go home via Trough of Bowland and comes across another bike fatality. He seems even less keen than before to ride his bike. Its a shame for him really as his all life revolved around biking and he was very well known in all the usual places. Was only out with him for a couple of hours on Saturday and I bet at least 30 different people came over to talk to him. Anyone regular at devils etc seems to know big Tom. I really cant see him wanting to get out up there again.

Its all unimportant compared to what the dead riders families will be going through right now. I'm sure many of us have been on the receiving end of such awful news about a friend or relation. Lets be careful out there ladies and gents.
 
gaz3014 said:
Heard the same Martin!! People don't seem to learn 'eh!!

Was goin through Horton, doin 30 in a 30, and some T&*"T in a Mille went flyin past me!!:mad: What the !£$%^!!!

I know just what you mean mate! Have been overtaken myself through Horton by idiots doing 50-60 mph and making a load of noise and upsetting the residents etc. These idiots then complain when the week after the police are up there with the radar gun.

Funny thing is I usually end up catching them up on the open road up to the viaduct or Hawes and passing them as they cant seem to go any quicker than they go through the villages! My mate mentioned earlier used to lose his rag a bit with this type, we were once stopped by the toilets in Horton and a group of about 5 or 6 of these morons came screaming past on their streetfighter type things. Anyway we set off within about 5 minutes and when we got to the viaduct these lads were parked up there and big Tom gets off his bike goes up to the idiots and proceeds to give em a real rollocking. It went along the lines of "you feckin morons with your silly bikes and camoflage pants spoil it for the rest of us, its nobheads like you lot that bring the police out etc etc" but with loads more swearing. I'm still sat on my bike thinking it was all going to kick off as these lads were not happy being spoken to like that. I got off my bike thinking it would be wise not to remove my helmet just in case! There was a lot of shouting going on by now and it looked as if it would turn into a brawl. I was just about to utter my " I have a heart condition, if you hit me it would be murder" line when the other 2 lads we were with arrived (2 of the scariest looking nightclub doormen you have ever seen, but very nice guys) On seeing these 2 the idiot lads started apologising as if their life depended on it. And we went on our way. Glad I never took my lid off though as they may have recognised me at a later date.
 
My weekend experience:
Back road to Southport (B5242) - very nice road except it was log jammed with cars entering and exiting what seemed to be a massive car boot/farmers show. Cars stood still for about three miles.
Got past them and onto a clear bit of road (after a blind bend) when opposite direction comes lunatic on kwak, 2 up, bomber jackets flapping in the wind, riding like he stole it. Flashed him and waved down but no reaction and if anything he speeds up. Didn't bother turning round to see what happened to him but like as not he's being drip fed if he's lucky.

At the end of the day y'just gotta look after yourself.
 
dseered said:
Yep Impact, great company to work for I hear, she looks really well, great girl !

Small world - I do believe Impact is owned and run by a mate of mine, Paul (Baz) Broom. He trained in teaching alongside me at Leeds, many, many years ago. Good to know it is doing well. We used to do white water canoeing and climbing together.

And we can and will all live without the aforementioned idiots. They need telling - I'm with you big M.
 
your right about the bad rep....the number of pensioners ive heard moaning about me "shouldnt be allowed on a bike if hes gonna wobble about like that"and"get off and walk you idiot" ive heard as theyve cycled past me and some things even worse;)
 
That's sad!Must admit though,i get slower as i get older!Maybe appreciate the risks more?Or just enjoy living!!
 
17 Thats no age , Call me soft but it cuts deep when someone with his whole life ahead of him dies so young , Heart felt condolences to his friends and family :(:(
 
Sorry to hear that Karl, i thought it was strange when the policewoman told me the accident was near Knock, its not a road I'd expect many bikes to be on but supermoto explains it. At 17 he must have really been into his bikes to be out over this way. Sad when it happens to kids like that and I can't begin to imagine what his parents and family must be going through :(
 
I was down at Squires on sat. It was pretty busy but I was impressed at the way folks were riding in that part of the world! I didn't notice any daft moves, everyone kept the speed down in the 30 zones, and no idiot overtakes that I saw! Sounds like the nutters were all elsewhere...
 
Back
Top Bottom