Ducati Monster Refresh - Pic heavy

Yorkie

New member
Just to keep you updated on my happenings down South the Monster is having its Third but most severe refresh and engine.

Bought brand new as a 1999 M600 Dark, it then had a 900 SS engine transplanted into it and the latest plan is an ST2 engine.

Here we go.



Used and abused as a models backdrop on a regular basis it was time to scrub it up and bit:



Stainless headers:



999 oil cooler:



Yorkie
 
I then did a deal with Mark at MADASL to buy an ST2 with him. He wanted the frame, body work and wheels and my part was the engine and electrics.

ST 2 engine out of the frame:



It had a set of alloy clutch plates in a steel basket, but they were in great condition. The rest of the engine was tatty.

Stripped down for a balance and fettle:



Mark at MADASL cut the flywheel down from 5kg to 1.3kg:



Lightened and balanced:



Soda blasted engine:



Yorkie
 
The engine cases went off to be etch primed and then lacquered.

Battleship grey?



Mocked up in the frame:



Lightened & adjustable cam wheels from Mark at MADASL:



Radiator mounts welded into place:



Frame cut to allow the injectors to fit:



Yorkie
 
Last edited:
To re-enforce the removed support I came up with an idea.

Crossed frame supports:



Everything just fits nicely:



Playing about with things I just do not understand:



Headers and pipes mocked up:



Yorkie
 
Last edited:
I did some more trimming of the clutch case today:







Just used a handsaw and some files to finish it off.

Yorkie
 
It looks okay on the engine with the alloy basket:







I ended up with this at the end of the day:



All ready for the final little frame cutting and then it will be off to powder coating, hopefully by Tuesday.

Yorkie
 
Slight delay due to work over the last few weeks. The welding is now finished and now ready for powder-coating.



Yorkie
 
It was all going so well until a piston ring snapped ................

The gold on battleship grey looks good I think:



More gold:



Gold home made Corse style clutch case:



Gold home made extreme clutch case, the one I will use on my project:



Bottom end back together and then it all went a bit Pete Tong:



The heads were all done:



Custom alloy cam wheels:



Yorkie
 
The tyres didn't make it to the rim. I did manage to do some work on the project though.

















So another good day at MADASL.

Yorkie
 
A decent day today.







Carbon ECU mount:





Ended up like this:



Next weekend, tyres on, wheels on and a rolling chassis.

Yorkie
 
Almost completed what I set out to do ......



Brakes and cut-down mudguard fitted:



I do like the mudguard de-seamed:



So near and yet so far:



Stainless headers:







I couldn't resist:



Yorkie
 
Last edited:
Its been a while!!

It has been a while since I have fettled the project Monster. MADASL moved to Wales and took my bikes with him, so today I finally went over to work on one of them.

IMG_0561_zps0hze3xyshttps://www.flickr.com/photos/159821344@N04/

IMG_0567_zpsxvlawjvehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/159821344@N04/

The rear brake hose was replaced with a stealth braided version.

IMG_0569_zpsetywupui https://www.flickr.com/photos/159821344@N04/

I finally fitted the radiator, without the fan. Once the work was done it was back into the conservatory as a talking piece.

IMG_0568_zpsyftpy7b3https://www.flickr.com/photos/159821344@N04/

Just the final electrics, fluids and some other bits to finish it off. It might be done for next year!!

Yorkie
 
Last edited:
What's the gold paint you used on the clutch and valve covers? It looks like just what I need for the valve covers on my 907ie.
 
I'm familiar with RS Bike paints Sam and have also used them before but they don't list any gold as used by Ducati on engine parts. There are plenty of gold paints that I could use but I'm looking for a particularly yellowish shade similar to that in Yorkie's pics.
Thanks for your help.
 
Back
Top Bottom