Do you read books?

Do you read books on a regular basis, say at least two a year?

  • Yes

  • No


Results are only viewable after voting.

AirCon

Resident Thermodynamics / Electronics specialist
Subscriber
I'm sure we all used to read books while being of school age, then more scholarly ones during college, University etc.
But do you still regularly read a whole book cover to cover?
I realised today I haven't read a real book "cover to cover" for nearly 25 years .
The kindle has renewed my passion and I've read about twenty in the last 24 months.
Recently my favourites include real life medical staff experiences and Spike Milligan (I've all his works).
IN my youth and early adult life it was the likes of James Herbert, Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Anne Rice.

Tell us all about your literature interests.
 
Last edited:
Slow reader here, probably 5 or 6 a year.

Was put off the kindle by books being the same price as paperbacks, don’t know why but if I’m buying a book I want something physical I suppose.

John Steinbeck a favourite author of mine.

Also
Asimov
Grisham
Koontz.
 
I'm a sporadically voracious reader, 2 books a week for a few weeks then I'll stop for a month or two.
John Irving is my favourite author, The Cider House Rules is probably his most famous book as it became an award winning film starring Michael Caine amongst others but try A Sun Of The Circus or The World According To Garp for slow starting but ultimately gripping reads.
 
Every weekday morning and afternoon on my ancient kindle while sat on the bus ! Some evenings to especially if sitting in the garden

And everyday when on holiday / even if on holiday on the bike - kindles are great and easy to pack !
 
Slow reader here - maybe 5 - 6 books a year. Nothing particularly intellectual - Stephen King and John Grisham probably my most read authors. I've read all the Richard Galbraith books except the latest (waiting for the Kindle version to come down in price). Recently read 1984 and War of the Worlds.
 
IN my youth and early adult life it was the likes of James Herbert, Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Anne Rice.
I re-read It a couple of years ago, having read it when it first came out. Enjoyed it just as much second time round.
 
Good thread A/C (y)

I read a book a week during the winter but not much in the summer.

I have just finished Matt Brolly"s 'The running girls'
 
Slow reader here - maybe 5 - 6 books a year. Nothing particularly intellectual - Stephen King and John Grisham probably my most read authors. I've read all the Richard Galbraith books except the latest (waiting for the Kindle version to come down in price). Recently read 1984 and War of the Worlds.
1984 is one of the books that has most influence on my life.
 
In my younger years mainly mid 20s to early 30s i was such a sponge i would read two books at a time mainly books on history, warfare and culture but since my head on incident in 2016 and being diagnosed with PTSD i find it hard to read a book now. I can't seem to be able to relax and concentrate, i just read a chunk then put a book down, it is a strange one to explain, if i need to look something up i use the internet by using DuckDuckgo not Google.
 
In my younger years mainly mid 20s to early 30s i was such a sponge i would read two books at a time mainly books on history, warfare and culture but since my head on incident in 2016 and being diagnosed with PTSD i find it hard to read a book now. I can't seem to be able to relax and concentrate, i just read a chunk then put a book down, it is a strange one to explain, if i need to look something up i use the internet by using DuckDuckgo not Google.
... to be fair that sponge is now being used for other purposes :rolleyes::oops::LOL::ROFLMAO:
 
I bought an KOBO years ago. It is brilliant. Doing Laurie Lee's books now as he was from Slad, near Stroud, so staying local!
1683283533285.webp
 
come on then, what books did you have to read for O Level English Lit, mine were Animal Farm, Merchant of Venice & I think Sense & Sensibility.
 
come on then, what books did you have to read for O Level English Lit, mine were Animal Farm, Merchant of Venice & I think Sense & Sensibility.
The books we had was: Clockwork Orange, Animal Farm and i can't for the life of me think of the third one? I wouldn't think teachers today would allow Clockwork Orange, the reason that book sticks in my mind is having to go to the back of the book for word translation, Malenky bit of Cutter (Little bit of money) i always remember that because me and my mates would use it. :)
 
The books we had was: Clockwork Orange, Animal Farm and i can't for the life of me think of the third one? I wouldn't think teachers today would allow Clockwork Orange, the reason that book sticks in my mind is having to go to the back of the book for word translation, Malenky bit of Cutter (Little bit of money) i always remember that because me and my mates would use it. :)
From Baltic languages.
 
come on then, what books did you have to read for O Level English Lit, mine were Animal Farm, Merchant of Venice & I think Sense & Sensibility.
Far from the madding crowd, Chaucer and Huckleberry Finn. I failed miserably. Fortunately I was better at English language and passed that the previous November.
 
Far from the madding crowd, Chaucer and Huckleberry Finn. I failed miserably. Fortunately I was better at English language and passed that the previous November.
Far from the madding crowd, written by my Grandad three times removed. :) I loved English and Maths at school, now i can't spell for shit but my Maths is still goodish. :unsure:
 
I read books, it has to be a real book not electronic.
For ‘O’ level it was The Merchant of Venice and I think The Chrysalids.
These days I read mostly motorcycle adventure travel books, but I’ve been known to read Jeffrey Archer, Terry Brooks, Stephen King, Douglas Adams, all sorts. On a lounging by the pool type holiday I’ve been known to get through up to eight books.
If I were to recommend books to read, it’d have to be:-
Jeffrey Archer, Kane and Abel (and it’s sequel).
The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern.
I recently read a book that partially went toward getting an understanding of early on set Dementia, but I forgotten what it was called; only joking, it’s called ‘The Memory Book’ and it was by Rowan Coleman.
If it’s a travel book you want, I really enjoyed Neil Peart (of RUSH fame) and the story of how he coped with the death of his daughter and his wife in rapid succession, by getting on the motorbike his wife had bought him (GS1100?) and rode 50 odd thousand miles.
I also buy books by authors with the same name as me, just so they’re on the bookshelf…

IMG_3682.webp
 
@AirCon like you, it’s been decades and may have something to do with why I’m starting to forget the simplest words. One of my favorites is Clive Barker’s Weaveworld, oh, and that douchebag Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Just last week I thought about picking up something new to read but the idea quickly faded.
I’ve started a few here and there but none have been able to keep my interest long enough to keep turning pages.
 
I read books, it has to be a real book not electronic.
For ‘O’ level it was The Merchant of Venice and I think The Chrysalids.
These days I read mostly motorcycle adventure travel books, but I’ve been known to read Jeffrey Archer, Terry Brooks, Stephen King, Douglas Adams, all sorts. On a lounging by the pool type holiday I’ve been known to get through up to eight books.
If I were to recommend books to read, it’d have to be:-
Jeffrey Archer, Kane and Abel (and it’s sequel).
The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern.
I recently read a book that partially went toward getting an understanding of early on set Dementia, but I forgotten what it was called; only joking, it’s called ‘The Memory Book’ and it was by Rowan Coleman.
If it’s a travel book you want, I really enjoyed Neil Peart (of RUSH fame) and the story of how he coped with the death of his daughter and his wife in rapid succession, by getting on the motorbike his wife had bought him (GS1100?) and rode 50 odd thousand miles.
I also buy books by authors with the same name as me, just so they’re on the bookshelf…

View attachment 76502
Yep, I've read plenty of reference stuff, but not a book for pleasure.
I realise there are some classics in this list I must read.... Like Merchant of Venice.
 
I read books, it has to be a real book not electronic.
For ‘O’ level it was The Merchant of Venice and I think The Chrysalids.
These days I read mostly motorcycle adventure travel books, but I’ve been known to read Jeffrey Archer, Terry Brooks, Stephen King, Douglas Adams, all sorts. On a lounging by the pool type holiday I’ve been known to get through up to eight books.
If I were to recommend books to read, it’d have to be:-
Jeffrey Archer, Kane and Abel (and it’s sequel).
The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern.
I recently read a book that partially went toward getting an understanding of early on set Dementia, but I forgotten what it was called; only joking, it’s called ‘The Memory Book’ and it was by Rowan Coleman.
If it’s a travel book you want, I really enjoyed Neil Peart (of RUSH fame) and the story of how he coped with the death of his daughter and his wife in rapid succession, by getting on the motorbike his wife had bought him (GS1100?) and rode 50 odd thousand miles.
I also buy books by authors with the same name as me, just so they’re on the bookshelf…

View attachment 76502
+1 on Ghost rider by Neil Peart, he lost his daughter to a car crash and his wife to cancer within 18 months of each other, he went fot a ride to fix his head, took him 50k miles, what a fantastic book, moved me to tears.
Got to love Douglas Adams, a genius taken from us too soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom