Disappointed with my new 848.

Preid

New member
Anyone move up from a 748 to an 848?

I've moved up to a 10 plate 848 evo with all the extra's, FSH and so far I dont like it. I disliked my 748 when I first got it as it was uncomfortable, a handful in town, clunky gearbox and loved nothing more than to cut out when the lights started to change to green. The 848 is exactly the same minus the cutting out.

I'll do the usual mod's, smaller sprocket, suspension and get it dyno'd. Is there any way to soften up the brutally jerky throttle in town? Perhaps a power commander with switchable maps?

At one point I was doing 300 mile a week on my 748 commuting without any back or wrist pain. One 30 mile trip to Aberdeen on the 848 and Im in bits. Before I even got to the city anyone behind me must of thought I was trying to play a game of twister on the bike with the positions I was trying. All to get the pressure off my wrists and back.

The Termi's do sound amazing though.
 
by the time you have put 8000 miles on it.. you wont notice the pain.. or be able to hear much.. but yer big grin from ear to ear will give it away... lol

sorry.. not much help.. but i am hear to annoy.. just ask.. :D
 
Hi. This is just an opinion based on your post - ie no science but.... There may be a few reasons: if it's a new bike to you you may be less relaxed as you are concentrating on the new sensation rather than just on another run on your older machine which you were used to. This compounded by differing suspension settings may add to the issue you have experienced. The next bit could be sensitive - age! The older we get the less flexible our bones and bits tend to be (a generalisation here so no pelters please).
Hope you can stick with it and it improves with age..fine wine etc etc.
Cheers :)
 
Find some Helibars or an equivalent. I'm 64 and my 916 is fine for me though not as comfortable as my CBR600.:lol2:
 
Hi......I had some MAJOR issues getting used to my 899, but although my mileage is still extremely limited....only done 1600 miles from new, I'm slowly getting there. I went from in-line four's to the twin, and just couldn't love it at all....Still wouldn't say I adore it much, but I've found some love for her over the past two months...maybe that will grow again by next year....Not much help, but all I can say is give it some more time...She still makes me smile just to look at her though x
 
Do you have termis fitted?

I noticed a big change in ride-ability on my 2008 when I fitted slip ons. Throttle was smoother, less jerky and completely removed the rare problem of it cutting out.
 
Dropping it off for a service, I hit traffic and decided to not do my usual filtering as I didnt feel to confident. But after sitting idle for five minutes and with my ar5e starting to cook I thought boIIocks to this. Checked the ill-positioned mirror's and set off down the middle of the road. At some point after getting onto commerce street something clicked. Fairly enjoyed cutting though the traffic like back when I had the 748. I would of kept flying about the city if I had time and any fuel left. Im not sure what the Fuel thing on the display is counting up to but its comforting to know its doing it.

I may just need to rack up a few hours in the saddle and man up on the comfort front. Although the Helibars do look like they'd suit the bike.

I have the termi slip on's and the exhaust valve dealt with. A result of which is its running rich, decelerating always comes with popping and gargling :cool: I'll take it up to HMD in the coming months if weather permits. Might give them a call actually and see what they say on the matter.

Cheers for the replies.
 
I'm wondering if your trouble with the riding position is related to the suspension settings..? I have had no trouble at all with the riding position having ridden a GSXR 750 for 6 years prior to my 848. I reckon the 848 is about as comfy as a bike like this could be, but I had the suspension set up near the start of my ownership and the seat height is a good 25mm less than stock, which takes a lot of pressure off my wrists.

I'd get that done asap and see how it goes. My confidence wasn't great when I first go the 848 but the setup transformed it, and my confidence.

I've got the Termis and ECU too and the throttle response is superb. How much slack have you got in the cable? Maybe it needs a wee tweak?

Sorry if this sounds patronising, I'm just thinking out loud...
 
I'd still opt for a sprocket change, every Ducati I've had has felt better with the smaller front sprocket.

(And you dont know what uncomfortable is until you've ridden a sportclassic for more than a tankful of fuel.:D:p )


I haven't ridden a superbike since I sold my 916 (owned for 7/8 years with no issues) but on my SC I was having a really torrid time getting used to it's ergonomics and the best solution to that proved to be the use of an oversized slave cylinder on my clutch, this alleviated the strain on my arm and made longer journeys much easier, so much so I never bothered to move the clip ons up- an option I still have.
It will never be a comfy bike but sometimes it's not just the obvious things that help.
 
I'd still opt for a sprocket change, every Ducati I've had has felt better with the smaller front sprocket.

+1on the sprocket change - the only Ducatis of mine that I haven't done that on were my '84 Pantah (didn't know any better then) and my Multistrada 1200 (torque overkill everywhere). However… …I'd always go for a bigger rear sprocket than smaller gearbox sprocket, for two reasons: reducing gearbox sprocket size significantly increases torque load on the sprocket/output shaft. It can also reduce chain clearance on the swing arm (ST4s for example). First thing I'm about to do on my new (to me and to Scotland) 749R is go from the stock 35-tooth rear sprocket to at least 39 - it's just reminded me how over geared Ducatis have been through the 2000s - I assume to get through noise testing. I wonder if the new bikes with their EU-beating exhaust valves run lower gearing?
 
Ideally you should change the gearing at the back, however...

initially it's much cheaper and simpler to swap front sprockets, this way you wont need a new chain as well as the pricier rear sprocket, and if for some reason you dont like it it's an easy swap back.(last time I checked front sprockets were about £15 or so, cant imagine they'll have gone up too much further)
When the chain get toward the end of it's life then is a good time to go back to the 15tooth front as you'd be changing the rest of the set up anyway.
 
Im not sure what the Fuel thing on the display is counting up to but its comforting to know its doing it.

IIRC its counting how many miles you have travelled on reserve since your fuel light came on. I think from memory 21 was the furthest I managed before I chickened out!
 
Superb replies ta.

Ordered a 14T front for now as the rear sprocket is in good shape. I'll do as you say and swap it back for a 15T and larger rear when it comes time to replace the chain and sprockets.
 
Been out on the bike a few more times, I much prefer throwing it around the city than I do out on the country roads. I went out a 70 odd mile jaunt to MacDuff with a friend and rode back East on the coastal road which was heaps of fun. On one straight we decided to up the speed and I noticed the first limiter light flash at around 148ish. It was then I remember reading a post saying that a 14T front sprocket will have the bike topping out at 156 before the limiter kicks in.

So once home I go down, counted the teeth on the front sprocket and what did I find. 14 Teeth :lol2:. 13T perhaps?

IMG-20140926-WA0013_zpsnhmmxfzk.jpg


In two minds to pack it away for Winter, might get a few good days yet though.
 
I had an 1198 a couple of years ago and suffered all the problems you have highlighted. One of the best things I did was to have the suspension set up for me by Eddie at ERS. The bike handled completely differently after that and made the riding experience much more enjoyable. I would say that the wrists stop being sore after you hit 80mph.
 
I agree with Ross. Get the bike to Eddie at ERS and get it set up. It will handle 200% better after that.
 
Eddie did my setup and completely transformed the bike for me.

I notice you're running Power 3s aye? I had them on mine for a year but once they wore to around half way they weren't great at all. I put a pair of Metzeler M7RR on in June and they are night and day compared to the Michelins... much, much better. Feel, quicker turn-in and outright grip - all miles better than the Power 3.
 
Back
Top Bottom