BMW kneeler

sam

New member
I have been speaking to a few folk about the oil delivery and found that the early engines were prone to cavitation. To make the best out of the oil supply issues so I can rev to 8k plus the scavange has been opened out to 12.5mm the main oil feed from the cam shaft bush housing to the back of the main bearing housing was also opened out to 8mm .
The oil pump rotors were slimmed down by 4mm to reduce the flow rate a new pump end plate was machined (cheers Dove) with a 4mm spigot on the rear to take up what was removed this all helps increasing the pumping efficiency. Sump baffle made also as this is in a sidecar and not a solo.
I Had top make a spring compressor as well, I have to fit restrictors to reduce the damper stroke and being 30mm long there was no way I ould have forced the spring down that far to get the buggers in. Kinlochleven wont happen for me this year work has got in the way and have finally run out of time.
 
Last edited:

sam

New member
Finally recieved my seal and gasket set for my Dellortos after a 4 week wait all to save £7.00 :eek:hwell: rebuilt with the correct jets and anti surge washers on the main jet holder, float needle valves, short bellmouths and lever choke. I stopped short of new needles and slides as it was fast approaching on a new set of carbs
 

sam

New member
They were in stock when I ordered them but had also ordered a Brembo (style) mastercylinder which was on a seven day delivery from order. Stupidly I said just send them all together to save them on postage. You learn !!
 

sam

New member
One for the gadget folks! the digital multifunction guage arrived for the outfit along with the drive. This is connected into the gearbox revcounter drive then calibrated to wheel size. A much better solution than picking up a magnet on the front hub as there is too much happening on that front end.:thumbs: All that I can find on the drive at the moment as I did not receive any litrature for the drive. https://www.schweizerschrauber.ch/mot/ps-a.en.html
 
Last edited:

sam

New member
One step forward three back, Snowball affect yet again.
I could not find a starter for the Bike as this was from an early model and had only 9 teeth compared to the later which has 12. These are modified Toyota units as BMW no longer make them.
One source was wanting £300 which I was not willing to pay but eventually found a new one for £78. When I was doing the dry build I found that the starter was touching the top tube or within a mm. Moving the motor inboard was what I though would be a solution but this caused problems with the drive even although it had a uv joint. The other problem was it was impossible to remove the oil filter withought tilting the motor. Last Saturday morning I attacked the back end with a grinder so new position for the motor and a better looking swing arm mount in order.
 
Last edited:

sam

New member
Finally made progress,it's a roller! I feel a lot happier with how I have done the back end instead of the flat plate gussets that were on originally. I also managed to get all the Lockheed calipers mounted as well, next brake pedal and master cylinders with bias adjustment. I'll post a pic when the kids decide to share the internet.
 

sam

New member
Is this what it has come to? 6.30 am to get bandwidth that I pay for to upload pics....kids!!:lol2:
 

sam

New member
Pipe porn

I finallay managed o muster some enthusiasm and time to get back into the outfit, calipers stripped and rebuilt with new pistons ( machined up by Dove, cheers bro!) and seals. Motor mounted, now time to build an exhaust, I have opted for a two into one for ease of route, I have the bends sourced and now have the collector box cut and preped for assembly then onto the carbon sleve silencer, if anything like my past systems it will be a noiselicer! broom broom! Be heard ! be seen! be safe!!
 

sam

New member
Headers cut and tacked ready for welding down to the collector, I'll do the full system before welding just in case I have to move anything around as we go.
 

sam

New member
Ducati Kneeler

One good thing about being a hoarder is sometimes things just fall into place! Found a set of 10inch wheels lockheed calipers and m/c for sale at the price of a good weekend out.
I had a 750ss motor leftover from a purchase a while ago that had a botched up chassis which was scrapped and other parts sold off. There is a set of FCR carbs at the back of the rack as well. The Monster swing arm may work out fine, I have enough CDS/T45 tube in the rack for another chassis and also have a jig for a nice leading link front end. The only problem I have is finishing off projects before starting others!! :D
 
Top