Best value slipper ?

dseered

New member
Anyone with any experience please comment, I did ask on the DSC a while ago but I can't find the thread !

I know there are 4 posts and 6 post, ramps and balls and all sorts of other things ??

I just want something that is easy maintenence, that works, I do a fair amount of milage so that has to be a consideration, I will also be fitting it myself so that has to be in mind aswell !
 
I have an STM 48T,with single spring.It's been on two bikes and done 4 trackdays without a hitch.I love it.Some people go for the 6 post ones,as mine takes different plates.I can't reccomend STM enough.
 
Slipper clutches and low maintenance don't go in the same sentence Ian, for the road I wouldn't bother as every time you shut the throttle your slipping the clutch effectively = more wear, so you'll get through plates more often than you currently are.

Plus whichever clutch you get will usually require regreasing at recommended intervals (usually ever 1000 miles) so that's a complete strip of the clutch, clutch plates and centre hub - you'll need a clutch holding tool for that and a torque wrench capable of 180ft/lb.

The cheapest option is to find a 748R clutch (usually someone upgrading them) that uses 3 ramps, no bearings and just uses greased ramps, so more maintenance and in theory not as smooth as a bearing version.

Then the bearing ramp variety, just pick your choice really, the best of the bunch as many will suggest would be Bucci they come in road, road/track and track setups (basically the angle of the ramps = more or less slip) and have 6 posts similar to your current clutch, they also make the Ducati Corse clutches and those are available in 4 and 6 post varieties but you're well into 4 figures for a decent one.

STM come in various guises the original 6 post, the Evo which uses a single spring as has been mentioned above, they also use a 12 and 48 tooth basket, 12 is standard but 48t will require different plates and steels which again are more expensive, the advantage of this is the basket should last longer and it's quieter.
 
Check e-bay Ian - there's usually something there.

Casoli do an economical slipper also - had one in a previous bike, it works for sure.
 
dseered said:

No.... new to me, and it uses 12 bearings which is another new feature, but it's still effectively only 6 ramps looking at the photo. It does say you can get parts direct but how long as they will come from Germany, for example the spider spring on most slippers do break every now and again is the one in this add a standard spider spring or specific to this clutch?
 
You can use your own plates yes, but as it's got no bearings is uses grease for the ramp action it'll need more maintenance, double edged sword really.

The first one looks good to me, but it's not hit the reserve yet and comes with all the bits to convert it to a road bike
 
I think it might need a garage that is large enough to hold a few bikes, has internet access nearby and a good supply of Coffee ;)
 
;) big torque wrenches sound like fun !

On another note, I have just had an internet flashback from weekend, it will be very funny if what I think might arrive actually does !:eek:
 
dseered said:
I think it might need a garage that is large enough to hold a few bikes, has internet access nearby and a good supply of Coffee ;)


I wonder where that could be if such a place exists ?:confused: :confused:
 
Mikey loves a challenge, although I think I may steer clear of your courtyard for a while, i'm scared and nervous, could you not tell on Sunday Linz, no helmet removal going on !
 
i know where theres a good hardly used slipper clutch may be a bit warped from lying on its side a lot .can anybody guess where it is :canada:
 
gordj65 said:
i know where theres a good hardly used slipper clutch may be a bit warped from lying on its side a lot .can anybody guess where it is :canada:

I gingerly asked the question in his thread ;)
 
well pleased for ya!
your 749 gets tricker by the week.pennies well spent.......:thumbs:
 
dseered said:
Anyone with any experience please comment, I did ask on the DSC a while ago but I can't find the thread !

I know there are 4 posts and 6 post, ramps and balls and all sorts of other things ??

I just want something that is easy maintenence, that works, I do a fair amount of milage so that has to be a consideration, I will also be fitting it myself so that has to be in mind aswell !

...I have by far the best solution for your problems....
 
Last edited:
I have found that this type tends to slip too much due to the hard plastic sole.If you were going to buy one,i'd reccomend one with the rubbber sole,it tends to grip better.Obviously has to be red,not grey/black as pictured!!:)
 
Well its here, OMG, looks complicated, guess I use me exisiting plates ????

Ducati Corse badge a nice touch :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom