B1257 Helmsley to Stokesley

rockjock620

Just read elsewhere that the entire length of this road, all 17 fantastic miles of it, is going to get double white lines down the entire length. Anybody confirm that? Apparently work has already started.

All well and good and the intentions are laudable, but bloody hell, what has this country come to? Anyway on the good side I don't think there are enough police to monitor the entire stretch - it'll just make it an easier cop when the unmarked one sees the offence.

As most of the accidents probably involving bikes, happen in a few short months of the year and most likely only on one day of the week, it's a typically draconian and "knee jerk" authoritarian reaction - if it's true.

I bet the locals are non too impressed - especially when they get stuck behind that tractor pulling a haycart........October through to March.....

It'll be a real shame and inconvenient for many locals really. It'll just mean bikers who want to "have a go" will have to be more observant for unmarkeds (which will slow many down, as NYPD have already stated fast tracking to courts as the preferred option) and that will be good. But the traffic jams and tailbacks for the cars in the summer will be horrendous........it could ruin the entire experience of a trip down there for everyone. At least bikes have the poke to have a go at getting past, albeit illegally.

The only good time to get a decent run through will be early morning or late evening on the longest summer days - which is great 'cos it's then when I go anyway! :D

from the highway code...

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]

Can you overtake a vehicle if moves to the left and you don't need to straddle the white line?

Yes you can - the caveat would always be "if safe to do so", but YES is the definitive answer. It doesn't say you can't overtake, just that you shouldn't cross the line. And you don't need much room to do that, do you BP, esp on the A1 southbound Sundays........:D

if you get thru the gap was big enuff ;)

Yeah thinkin about it, the solid line just means don't cross, but not no overtaking, that would need the no overtaking sign...
rth006_g.gif

think ill drop a note to NYCC and point this out :D

If you read that another way then can one assume "you CAN cross the white line IF it is safe to do so"? Thought provoking?

only part of the sentence there tho

This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road.

I don't think the 10mph bit is fixed in law, it only appeared in later revisions of highway code, the proinciple it establishes is that you can cross to pass slow moving vehicles but it MUST be safe to do so.

highway markings direct you back in before a section of solid whites, there are requirements for road engineers to work to making sure there is space between sections, if in doubt they'll join the sections of solid white up.

Hartside has been under this threat for some time now but luckily its part of the c2c route so has a lot of slow moving cyclists which would be a big problem as few drivers know when you can cross solid whites :)

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross

Can you overtake a vehicle if moves to the left and you don't need to straddle the white line?

The answer is in your post........you can overtake where there are double white lines, just don't cross them. If a car moves over............

Watch out

From a friend who is in the know.
NYP operate a unmarked cars a Black / dark grey Volvo saloon and estate, BMW car, and , an unmarked BMW s1000rr, its standard white with the red blue flashes.
Also 2 camera vans, 1 is silver thats the speed detector van, the number plate recognising one is white, both transits.
Sherburn and Helmsley fav places for them.
But I've seen the silver one just near Scarborough on A64 bet Staxton roundabout and Morrisons roundabouts.

From a friend who is in the know.
NYP operate a unmarked cars a Black / dark grey Volvo saloon and estate, BMW car, and , an unmarked BMW s1000rr, its standard white with the red blue flashes.
Also 2 camera vans, 1 is silver thats the speed detector van, the number plate recognising one is white, both transits.
Sherburn and Helmsley fav places for them.
But I've seen the silver one just near Scarborough on A64 bet Staxton roundabout and Morrisons roundabouts.

Cheers.

This was in 2007 - I wonder if it happened as I didn't notice when last up there 🤔

I better avoid it on Big Helga when she's wearing her panniers. Ever if I stick to the kerb, the other side will be over the white lines. 🤔

Not crossing the white line means ANT PART OF THE BIKE, including the handlebar or panniers

Please can you show me which part of my bike is the ANT located?
👀
1613494729565.png

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Back