Why a monster?

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
If you were going for a newer style monster, arguably, the aprilia tuono would be a better bike. If you were going for an older style monster, for me a triumph thrusxton r has more of an older naked vibe about it

What alternatives did you try, if any? if so what what made you chose the monster and what made you discount the others.

I have hankered after a 1978 Tiger or Bonneville since they were new, and may yet buy one, but the ‘93 Monster was the Ducati I wanted since I saw one of the first near Seven Dials. Also still fancy a Jota, a Mk 1 Lemon, a 750 Roundcase and an H1 or H2 2T triple. Not selling the Monsters though!

Monsters must be cheap in Japan, a seller on EBay has 6 imports for sale currently 🤔

i had a vtwin tuono that i really liked ,but when i fancied a change i took a test ride on the v4 but it didn't feel right for me, i liked the super duke but im no fan of ktm so i bought a 1200r and love it

Something about monsters is the fact that they don’t make you look like a twat

you can ride them in hippy jeans , full on textiles or your race leathers

old or young , first generation or last they are a solid classic that doesn’t date

something that can’t be said for a lot of bikes

bit like the girl next door that your dad approves of

Why was it called a Monster in the first place its too cute to resemble a 'monster' ahhh muppet, fraggle rock monster...

A monster felt like riding a supermotard your sat on the front forks...

I wanted a bike that handled well, had disc brakes & was fun to ride, something with character, I thought about an older British bike (first big bike was a 750 tiger) but they were prohibitively expensive for a twin and a single cylinder was out of the question (too sluggish) so I had a test ride on an air-cooled 900 monster, kept it 10 years & only got rid coz I got the chance to buy a s4rt, never looked back, I don't like the look of the later monsters, and I love the dry clutch - happy days.

I will buy another 2017 to 2020 1200S or the same years 1200R

I will no longer ride without ABS. So i can only go backwards so far. If it is not buy any other model Ducati.
For other types of riding i would look at other makes and models.

Something about monsters is the fact that they don’t make you look like a twat

you can ride them in hippy jeans , full on textiles or your race leathers

old or young , first generation or last they are a solid classic that doesn’t date

something that can’t be said for a lot of bikes

bit like the girl next door that your dad approves of
I had a red and White S2R monster from new back in the day and was instantly disappointed with it..?
Having gone from a 748 to this oh, and being a right tart, I was disappointed to find i wasn’t getting the usual looks from car drivers etc anymore, admiration wise, so i sold it ...

X

I bought my M900 as the SS was uncomfortable and encouraged me to be a lunatic (during short test ride), coming from a 125 I thought I was being sensible and 80 mph was about the limit of comfort on the monster.

Did I make the right decision 🤔

I had the M750, great fun bike to get me back riding on the road after 'the kiddie years'

Not enough power so went for S4r - much fun and great torquey engine but I bit of a 'lump'

Changed to SF848 which was lighter and much easier to throw around the twisties - put a lot of miles on and got Cat D'd.

Looked at getting a 1098SF but they were too pricy and insurance takes a hit.

Switched to the MV, lighter, faster, better handling and most of all much better quality over the 848.
Never looked back, could have bought a new SFV4 but it really doesn't do anything for me .. The MV does everything I need , its so light and well balanced and has small production feel whereas Ducati now looks mass produced.

Apologies to the ladies but, i have to say ... There's few better feelings in life than having a throbbing Monster between your legs...

Sorry @Char .... X

I'll just add - the MV Forum is shockingly appalling - which is why I'm still here annoying you guys :)
Apologies to the ladies but, i have to say ... There's few better feelings in life than having a throbbing Monster between your legs...

Sorry @Char .... X
you boys can carry on - whatever floats your boat :whistle:

shame really as I always fancied the builder

First Ducati was a new Supersport, which I thoroughly enjoyed, it just needed a bit more go. I like the feel of the V twin. They are totally different to anything else. I found other bikes, Honda, Triumph triple and BMW to be very bland with little character.
As I age I need something with a bit more of an upright riding position. The 1200S fits the bill just fine. I'd be very keen on a new Monster 1000 if it only had the V2 engine in it (which is not the 936) so it would have the power of the 1200 but much lighter and lower.
Did consider the Tuono but I found the riding position not so good, tried an MT10 but didnt like the looks, the fuelling or the ride.

Back