Tyres thread

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
We often have posts at the start of spring with members saying "I've got/going to try a new set/type of tyres this summer and see how they go" but rarely have any feedback from those threads and posts.

So for a change and given some of you managed to get some riding in this summer, I thought, why not have a thread where you had used the new choices and report back on tyres you used that were changed from your usual ones, how did they perform, what make were they and on what bike? fire away

Last edited:
Tyre.png

Saw loads of lorry's with this repair in the Middle East years ago.
Steve

I thought you had bought a GS for a moment then Birdie :D
Oh, didn't read the text :ROFLMAO: - thought it was just @roberano 's how I didn't need to buy a new tyre this year 'How To' thread :unsure:

Boring thread alert!

I use(d) Supercorsa SP on track for the last 2 years, also used them on road. R6/CBR1000. I have Rosso Corsa on my 998.

SP Road compound-ish tyres seem to heat up well on track, no warmers for me.
They seem to work when respecting the levels of grip on track in variable cooler damp/drying conditions too.
Despite tread pattern and punter reviews saying they don't < reviews of this sort can be found for most tyres I notice.. public opinion, pinch of salt, yes better tyres for those conditions are available.

On road I find SP are too soft really for riding esp on the 1000cc at a reasonable pace for extended durations in the dry (for me personally) and at slower pace in less than ideal (cold/damp) conditions without heat in them, then they do like to spin etc..

I have gone to Rosso Corsa 2 or 3 on Road on the 1000cc because I damaged the SPS rear on the 1000cc.
The Rosso Corsas do not seem to get as warm (normal road riding speeds) They might at a good pace and adjusting pressures. They do seem more durable and I like the deeper tread pattern for the variable road conditions/temps. I know they work on track to an extent but I'd be a little dubious (until I try them anyway) I like to feel them get soft, warm and pliable.

I don't run slicks on track because BSB seem to do ok with out them last time I checked and I am not that quick.
I think SC 1&2 compound and warmers are a good shout in Mid Fast Group, but I can ride up to, near that pace on SPs.
I don't use warmers in Inters or Novice because the grip is enough at 10 deg c Ambient, even at 80% pace...
I am quicker straight out the pitlane than those on warmers often in slower groups, Knee down 3rd corner lap 1 'cold tyres' maybe 30/40 degs c.

I plan to look at tyres that have tread all the way to the side wall in future. 2020 I have seen less dry days.. but if they are not suitable for making progress dry riding I might have to start looking at Two sets of wheels (which I have) and might even run wets on track or intermediates for those wet days.. I try to avoid wet weather because I like to push on, I'm not that good and don't want to have an off. I prefer tyres that can be used on road and track. A balance, juggling act..

Disclaimer: personal experience, relative to pace and riding style

Last edited:
Has Chizel got the power to ban people? If we are talking bikes, it would probably depend what bikes. If I was on a push bike. I'm joking.. Chizel went well on his 900ss and the 749 in the wet. I have spent a bit more time on track.
You're scared 🤪, no need to walk on egg shells here - if @chizel has the power to ban people he wouldn't know how to do so - we'd have all gone already :ROFLMAO:

Tried Michelin Road 5s on my 1190. Never been much of a fan of Michelins in general and always thought the pilot Road series were overrated. But everyone seemed to rave about them so I thought I'd give them a go. If you don't try anything new you'd still be on Avon crossplies.

The snag with the 1190 having a 19" front rim is you can't get sports tyres for it. I've tried pretty much every available option and have stuck with Conti Road Attack 3s for ages and loved them. Loads of feedback and phenomenal front end grip. The only drawback is it's easy to ride off the edge of a sports touring profile - and the RA3s are sportier than most..
I've adjusted my riding style to ride round it but when I realised the R5s had the same profile as the Power RS sports tyres I had to try them.
Loved the first pair initially. Got nearly 4K out of the rear and you can lay the bike on its ear with that profile. The out edge has a wide flat and sticky strip that gives massive confidence at full lean and you can feel the bike settle onto that strip when you're right over so you know where you are on the tyre. All was good and I was giving it a good ragging and enjoying myself.

Then I had a couple of let-go's from the rear at modest lean and a couple of times the rear let go under braking. The sticky out edge was fine but the central strip of the dual compound didn't seem to have very good straight-line grip. If I unloaded the rear too much under braking into a bend it would skitter all too easily. I thought at first I'd found some grit on a bend, but it kept happening. Then one day (a dry warm day) I pulled out of a junction and gunned it to keep ahead of an up-coming car and the rear spun up and the traction control light came on. On a dry road. That had never happened, ever, with the Contis. It would pop up the front wheel if you were too enthusiastic but the back had never lost traction.

Thought it might be me, so put on a second pair and tried to ride round the straightline grip issue, but it kept happening. And on the second pair I found it wasn't holding a line in bends very well. Played with pressures but it always felt skatey tracking curves, like the front was massively over-inflated.
So after two pairs I concluded cornering stability was poor and the central strip of the dual compound rear lacked traction. A shame because I loved the profile and the scope it gave for shennanigans.

Went back to the Contis and couldn't believe the difference. It cornered like it was on rails and would never spin up in the dry. I gave the P5s a fair trial but there's no doubt about it in my view: they're not in the same league as the Contis for stability and grip. Contis were my favourite rubber before I tried the Michelins, and they still are.

I'm almost tempted to re-lace the wheels with 17" rims both ends so I can fit Conti Sport Attack 4s....

Interesting to read the feedback on the Michelins, I’m on Metzellers, 7rr and 9rr, no complaints. Whenever I’ve tried Conti’s I’ve been really impressed, I also found they tracked round bends really well. I might try a pair next time.

On the fugly, I had a set of Pirelli Angel GT's and found they worked quite well in both the wet, dry and certianly grippy enough to make use of it's supermoto stylee and handling.

I nearly gave the GTs a try but got the offer of a pair of Contis for £260 fitted which was too good to refuse.

The very latest version of the Metzeler Roadtec 01 generally win every comparison test for sports touring tyres but I tried a pair of the original 01s, and while they felt fab and were extremely grippy, they seemed to have very little tread to start with (with Contis have 7.5mm) and the rear was gone in the middle after 3000 miles. They appear to have a very flat profile too and squared off very quickly. I'd want to know that the latest ones are a sportier profile than the originals before trying again.

Though I'm very happy with the Contis, I am minded to give the Angel GTs a go. I'm always interested in trying new tyres. Like I say, if you don't try, you don't know. And I generally get through two or three pairs a year so it's no big deal if I don't like them.

99F8FCC7-4DBE-4209-BA3F-F2F74E5B6EB5.jpeg

This young lady is asking if this is a Continental or Michelin tyre
7F841896-10B9-4A86-BBF4-2E5E9790C967.jpeg

In the interest of balance, for the ladies and the gentlemen who like gentlemen; this is Biff Byford of Saxon, monsters of rock ‘80, I’ve circled my fizzog for anyone wondering what I look like.

View attachment 3241
This young lady is asking if this is a Continental or Michelin tyre
View attachment 3242
In the interest of balance, for the ladies and the gentlemen who like gentlemen; this is Biff Byford of Saxon, monsters of rock ‘80, I’ve circled my fizzog for anyone wondering what I look like.
Bought their first album as soon as it came out, even took the record on holidays with me by bike!

Just to be a little controversial, I currently ride MTS1200 2013 on PR5s, there ok ish. Now I have always had great fun in Scorpion shod bikes and a few weeks ago took out an MTS 950 demo on scorpions. Again to me felt so much more sticky than PR5s, feedback let me know exactly how the tarmac was and was able to get right to the edge in full confidence and quickly, to me the best tyres I have used in the last few years. My current PR5s don’t allow that. But I did love the old Michelin road 2s ?that’s before the PR range was launched, used to leave a nice black trail exiting long sweepers before traction control ruined the party.

Just to be a little controversial, I currently ride MTS1200 2013 on PR5s, there ok ish. Now I have always had great fun in Scorpion shod bikes and a few weeks ago took out an MTS 950 demo on scorpions. Again to me felt so much more sticky than PR5s, feedback let me know exactly how the tarmac was and was able to get right to the edge in full confidence and quickly, to me the best tyres I have used in the last few years. My current PR5s don’t allow that. But I did love the old Michelin road 2s ?that’s before the PR range was launched, used to leave a nice black trail exiting long sweepers before traction control ruined the party.
Good to know about the Scorpions. I've put a deposit on a 950 Multi this morning and it has them fitted. (y)

Boring thread alert!

I use(d) Supercorsa SP on track for the last 2 years, also used them on road. R6/CBR1000. I have Rosso Corsa on my 998.

SP Road compound-ish tyres seem to heat up well on track, no warmers for me.
They seem to work when respecting the levels of grip on track in variable cooler damp/drying conditions too.
Despite tread pattern and punter reviews saying they don't < reviews of this sort can be found for most tyres I notice.. public opinion, pinch of salt, yes better tyres for those conditions are available.

On road I find SP are too soft really for riding esp on the 1000cc at a reasonable pace for extended durations in the dry (for me personally) and at slower pace in less than ideal (cold/damp) conditions without heat in them, then they do like to spin etc..

I have gone to Rosso Corsa 2 or 3 on Road on the 1000cc because I damaged the SPS rear on the 1000cc.
The Rosso Corsas do not seem to get as warm (normal road riding speeds) They might at a good pace and adjusting pressures. They do seem more durable and I like the deeper tread pattern for the variable road conditions/temps. I know they work on track to an extent but I'd be a little dubious (until I try them anyway) I like to feel them get soft, warm and pliable.

I don't run slicks on track because BSB seem to do ok with out them last time I checked and I am not that quick.
I think SC 1&2 compound and warmers are a good shout in Mid Fast Group, but I can ride up to, near that pace on SPs.
I don't use warmers in Inters or Novice because the grip is enough at 10 deg c Ambient, even at 80% pace...
I am quicker straight out the pitlane than those on warmers often in slower groups, Knee down 3rd corner lap 1 'cold tyres' maybe 30/40 degs c.

I plan to look at tyres that have tread all the way to the side wall in future. 2020 I have seen less dry days.. but if they are not suitable for making progress dry riding I might have to start looking at Two sets of wheels (which I have) and might even run wets on track or intermediates for those wet days.. I try to avoid wet weather because I like to push on, I'm not that good and don't want to have an off. I prefer tyres that can be used on road and track. A balance, juggling act..

Disclaimer: personal experience, relative to pace and riding style
Nowhere near your pace but I used Rosso Corsa’s on my 996 at Donny. They were great, no worries at all and got mega hot/sticky. Same with s22’s on my Street Triple. The corsas are now on my 675 tracker.
BD0E5552-7AFC-4DBE-9F6F-21DA894D8FE4.jpeg
C08A6D7D-C28F-48A9-9179-125B94B36479.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
With some bikes not being used last year, the hope is by summer this year, we will at least to be able to go out on rides whether solo or with buddies.

To those who store bikes for some time, what tips should be looking for in regards to long storage and tyres and then what to look for when a bike hasn't been used for a while and you want to use soon?

Just whilst flicking through the bay of evil looking for secret microchips to inject into people, otherwise known as schrader and presta valves :D I saw a few tyre valves.

Boring subject I know but the norm seems to be the standard straight valves but I've seen some use the 90 degree tyre valves. If you use the 90 degree valves, why and any issues with them?

By the fact that you are reading this thread you are a Tyre Geek. Official. Here is an interesting video by an engaging chap with some obvious and some less obvious points. Coincidentally I got me some of the Metz TD tyres he discusses before Xmas primarily as they came with a FOC GB Racing brake guard which is apparently going to be compulsory even on track days this year. I have also put a shot up of the tyre and wheel storage in my garage.

IMG_4207.jpg

Back