Thermostat operating temperature?

millemille

The 1098 engine in the multi is connected to an RSV4 radiator, which is much larger than the standard 1098 radiator. I chose to do this as if I'm two up with hard luggage on the bike on the continent in summer and unable to filter I didn't want the bike overheating. I had assumed that the engine would possible run cooler at all other times but that the thermostat would ensure it got above a reasonable minimum temperature.

With an ambient air temperature of around 12 or 13 degrees the coolant temperature was below 60 degrees on the move. I taped up half the radiator and, while running a bit warmer, it's still not hitting 70 degrees on the move.

Does anyone know what temperature the 'stat should be opening and closing at on a 1098 as I'm wondering if it's stuck open?

final_edition

Subscriber
Unsure of the operating temp of the thermostat.

I know that running the engine without one on my trackbike saw low temps and an age to warm up. Keeping the bike overfueling for longer.

The introduction of a thermostat saw the temps come up quicker.

I know @Andyb had a big race rad on his bike but offered too much cooling. Even with a thermostat.

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
Quick catch up. With the warmer weather upon us, hows the temp and bike running chap?

millemille

Bike is going great and temps are no longer a worry. Not that I've changed anything on the bike, I just asked a mate of mine with a totally standard 1098 to note the ambient air temp and coolant temps on his bike over a couple of weeks of use.

His 1098 runs cooler than the multi.

Job's a good 'un.