The Top 10 Scariest Motorcycles Ever?

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
GSX-R history


 
I would of put the Maico 760 on there, when i was a kid growing up there where a lot of fields that where still being farmed(housing estate now :rolleyes:). We would ride bikes there and there was a older than us guy that did motor X and had a Maico 760. What a fucking crazy bike, i never rode it i was to young and wouldn't be able to get on it anyway!! Everybody that he let have a go on it binned it, mainly getting thrown off the back of it, a real beast of a thing!!

1737129934960.webp
 
My 1098 SF was about the scariest bike I'd ridden when I first bought it. Not because it was massively powerful, which it wasn't, but because the previous owner was clearly a barely trained baboon. It had semi-slick Pirellis which never warmed up and the suspension was all over the place with no sag at all. Both ends would top out over the slightest undulation and it felt as nervous and wayward as hell.
Since I've owned it I've added 25 bhp and 20 ft/lb of torque with some judicious Louigi fettling and had the suspension upgraded by someone who actually knows what they're doing and now it rides like a 600 supersport but with vastly greater propensity for wheelies. Some bikes are only as scary as the dork who owned them before.
 
Last edited:
I had a TLS many years ago, Yoshi cans which sounded like a Lancaster. Great bikes, I also had the TLR.
I chopped the TLR in for a 2004 ZX10, now that was a scary bike. Very twitchy front end, strictly no Gaylords!
A good mate of mine had a TL and he said it's not as bad as it's made out be, he said the best mod is the rear shock as they where recalled IN 1997, when they came out because it was fucking aweful and dangerous if i remember rightly??
 
A good mate of mine had a TL and he said it's not as bad as it's made out be, he said the best mod is the rear shock as they where recalled IN 1997, when they came out because it was fucking aweful and dangerous if i remember rightly??

I loved the look of them, and fancied one despite the press they got over tank slappers. Then my girlfriend irresponsibly got pregnant and I sold my bike, so I never had one.
 
I loved the look of them, and fancied one despite the press they got over tank slappers. Then my girlfriend irresponsibly got pregnant and I sold my bike, so I never had one.
A great bike that in my past i nearly bought one, it had all the mods and at 3K hard to say no but as we oldies know shit happens!! :)
 
The TL had a slightly longer swing I recall.

You also have to remember about that time, people still had money and we were seeing an awfull lot of people having ridden a 250 in the early 70/'s80's suddenly want a bike again but went straight in to the thousand cc's. About this time a term was created "born agains" that came about and an awful lot of middle aged men, were having accidents on bikes too powerful for their skills and some of those bikes weren't exactly put together in a great fashion.
 
A mate of mine down south had a TLS. I rode it once. At the time I had a gen 1 1290 Superduke. I was struck by how heavy and ponderous the TLS felt in comparison. It was perfetcly stable and not flighty, and nice and thumpy low down but no top-end like the SDR. At the same time, another mate in the same place had a 1050 V-STrom. Same engine as the TLS detuned. I thought that was the better bike but again it felt very heavy compared to my KTM 11i0.
 
A good mate of mine had a TL and he said it's not as bad as it's made out be, he said the best mod is the rear shock as they where recalled IN 1997, when they came out because it was fucking aweful and dangerous if i remember rightly??
It was the rotary damper that caused a lot of the issues, a lot of owners changed it for an Ohlins.
Cracking engine.
 
Hagon even now still do a new shock for it around the £400 price. Quite a bit cheaper than a new Ohlins. There is a chap on ebay who sells an R1 shock with adapter plates for about half of that but it doesn't mention if the shock has been reconditioned or new.
 
Back
Top Bottom