.....supplier for Ti or A4 Stainless fasteners 🔩

Exige

2021 Build of the year (millennium) winner
Subscriber
Don't really need Ti but they do look yummy - A4 Stainless would be good and maybe Black Stainless too but there seems to be a shortage of availability unlike A2 stainless.

Any good suppliers out there for range and price unlike the usual suspect Pro Bolt which seem very expensive.

Racebolt in my experience, better customer service than Pro-Bolt.

Calling all metallurgists, @sev knows a thing or too (except AndyB pissed him off and I’ve not heard from him for a while) It depends where you want them though. Sometimes Ti is not the right material.

Racebolt in my experience, better customer service than Pro-Bolt.

Calling all metallurgists, @sev knows a thing or too (except AndyB pissed him off and I’ve not heard from him for a while) It depends where you want them though. Sometimes Ti is not the right material.
All the fork / yoke fixings to start with - would have liked Black A4 Stainless but can't find the range / sizes. the RSR Ti look good and I can get the ones with cute little holes drilled in the heads :love: plenty use them on race bikes for the Calliper Bolts and I think they are stronger yield and shear than Stainless but I can't be arsed to check ( @sev to the 🦇☎️ ) just need to use the correct grease or thread-lock depending on the application I guess.

All the fork / yoke fixings to start with - would have liked Black A4 Stainless but can't find the range / sizes. the RSR Ti look good and I can get the ones with cute little holes drilled in the heads :love: plenty use them on race bikes for the Calliper Bolts and I think they are stronger yield and shear than Stainless but I can't be arsed to check ( @sev to the 🦇☎️ ) just need to use the correct grease or thread-lock depending on the application I guess.
Afaik, they’ll be ok there. It’s more to do with reaction with the surrounding material. They’re drilled so they can be wired to stop them falling out. They’re Ti so they’re lighter but then the fat Guinness riding (not you, you’re svelte allegedly) could just lose 100g in weight for the same end result.

8B1FAC12-C539-4F2F-961B-CD351C132E66.jpeg

Accu fasteners are worth a look see. They are a fastener supplier, not a bike accessories outlet. It's proper quality stuff, without he fancy wrappers. Not sure they do Ti though. You need to pick thru and order by size etc. rather than order a "kit", which are usually wrong anyhow :p

You'd be right ziggy.
Titanium Ti-6Al-4V aerospace grade stuff has greater yield and tensile MPa than stainless.
Both are subject to where you get them from however, and as you know there's a massive difference in cost between aerospace quality and monkey metal Titanium.

Same goes with stainless. If you can go to a reputable boat chandler / supplier for your stainless as it'll be decent marine 304 grade minimum stuff rather than some old shit to put up kitchen cupboard doors with.

Ti as you point out doesn't self lubricate so some form of moly grease is recommended, the black/grey moly grease is all that the pankl rod bolt grease is. care note: the grease will act as a torque enhancer as will any lubricated bolt, so you might want to go in at the bottom span in the given range of any torque figures.

Probably the most annoying thing about Ti at the moment is the fashion for shiny bolts. I much prefer the matt finish on the ti bolts and bits from the 90's and 2000's race tackle. like anything, just make sure it comes form a proven source rather than bag'o'bollocks.com with his cheap chinese tat

You'd be right ziggy.
Titanium Ti-6Al-4V aerospace grade stuff has greater yield and tensile MPa than stainless.
Both are subject to where you get them from however, and as you know there's a massive difference in cost between aerospace quality and monkey metal Titanium.

Same goes with stainless. If you can go to a reputable boat chandler / supplier for your stainless as it'll be decent marine 304 grade minimum stuff rather than some old shit to put up kitchen cupboard doors with.

Ti as you point out doesn't self lubricate so some form of moly grease is recommended, the black/grey moly grease is all that the pankl rod bolt grease is. care note: the grease will act as a torque enhancer as will any lubricated bolt, so you might want to go in at the bottom span in the given range of any torque figures.

Probably the most annoying thing about Ti at the moment is the fashion for shiny bolts. I much prefer the matt finish on the ti bolts and bits from the 90's and 2000's race tackle. like anything, just make sure it comes form a proven source rather than bag'o'bollocks.com with his cheap chinese tat
The RSR stuff is listed as Grade 5 6AI-4AV and the best priced (but Chinese manufactured I guess), but most Ti is these days innit 🤷‍♂️

305 Stainless would be good enough for my needs but I can't fine the range of sizes in 316 (A4) I thought 304 was the weaker A2 (in shear and yield) ?

Accu fasteners are worth a look see. They are a fastener supplier, not a bike accessories outlet. It's proper quality stuff, without he fancy wrappers. Not sure they do Ti though. You need to pick thru and order by size etc. rather than order a "kit", which are usually wrong anyhow :p
That site was a great shout and would have done fine for Black Stainless - but they don't do Metric Fine M10 for the Calliper Bolts.....

Don't really need Ti but they do look yummy - A4 Stainless would be good and maybe Black Stainless too but there seems to be a shortage of availability unlike A2 stainless.

Any good suppliers out there for range and price unlike the usual suspect Pro Bolt which seem very expensive.

You tight git. More money than a bull can shit and you won't fork out for Pro-Bolt.

I'm a bloody pauper and I bought PB Ti drilled caliper bolts and pinch bolts and they come with anti-seize goo cos Ti reacts and binds with some other metals apparently.

And another thing - WTF do you need lock wire pliers for??? Yeah your calipers might bloody well fall off when you wheel a bike from inside to the deck for a photo!!!

You tight git. More money than a bull can shit and you won't fork out for Pro-Bolt.

I'm a bloody pauper and I bought PB Ti drilled caliper bolts and pinch bolts and they come with anti-seize goo cos Ti reacts and binds with some other metals apparently.

And another thing - WTF do you need lock wire pliers for??? Yeah your calipers might bloody well fall off when you wheel a bike from inside to the deck for a photo!!!
That deserves 2 laugh emoji’s!!

I bought Pro-Bolt once, wouldn’t bother again.

First set of Caliper bolts they sent had the wrong pitch thread, when I spoke with them they informed me I ordered the wrong ones. I informed them I used the vehicle search function on their site and there was only one option, M8x40 there was no mention of thread pitch.

They then told me ‘oh yeah, that’s right, but they come in 1 & 1.5’. So why not put that on the site?🤷🏻‍♂️

They then told me I had to return the ones I had before they’d send out the new ones and they’d only post new ones once they had the old ones in their hands. It took 3 weeks to get the replacement ones. Not the best customer service 🙁.

When the new ones arrived, sure they fitted, but the hex socket started to round off as I torqued them up to spec😮 And, yes, before anyone asks I was using the correct hex key and, yes, it was a good quality one - Halfords Advanced; the best👍😁.

Not a fan. I’m sure they’re all made in China anyway and there’s been some quality issues.

Back