Supersport Or VFR

VFR or Supersport, build quality versus cost

• Total voters

BeePee

So, I fancy a sports tourer type thingy.

Always liked the look of the new SuperSport s and especially with the wheel barrow Termis on it.

Trouble is, I also love the look of the VFR 800 and at £4500 cheaper on deals at the moment it keeps rearing it's head to me.

Who has a Supersport s and what are they like long term ownership ?

cheers.

I have a Supersport and wouldn't consider the Honda. The Supersport is lighter, more powerful with120 bhp as to the VFR's 105 bhp and a massive 93Nm of torque at only 6,500 rpm compared to the VFRs 75Nm at 8,500.
The Supersport is very comfy and it's only downside is the 16L tank compared to the Hondas 21L but I can get 50mph out of it with fill ups at 130 - 150 miles depending on how hard I ride. 100 miles between stops is plenty for me anyway. And above all it looks and sound great. I have a Termi on mine as I don't care for the wheelbarrow handle Akros and you can't fit panniers with the Akros either.

Xfeo6efCaxAlBKuSCRbgoQ6JVP06NPhscsevAmbeU5_zuOh0z5tLBom6W__GjRSKfBNJ4zbN1cE6K5pEYAuNwnqpGOAL0bXj6vCpvVFkatM7qjaur5Q-CdKW0vynJo6csjbx25-nvLJGAMfMYt9DzOJZu-jjqkfAiXAispECov_jt5BqnDqDf1_b5Qw2BR7nj07l-L_E9AmsSq6Yf6ntdIts_mTd7OjXwy5J1oHOKV_vIiWPCDrKVJqWewB2jZbvLY0DdLWKyZMymXCOaees3wScoC_W8wRbcWBbLenFMWbF38ygmbF8_8i6WaqDqfqL9HmR3o7lH3T4oqCaowCzbqrCqHX3L-sYhCFqewKTAqt-jFdjHgDOrPVxh-wk4osyC3U0CSACHzDGnB86smyM7YXC63WkAK1IASUWFSAM6HxwZuGD2p04RdjQBNO9h02mJclNer4rMvLNOXzEjcgEvtnOwyDIBi16uX3-o8pE6j5dRuurUPY_CDDsRByKLogHs1HEplqBX1RMfxWcCR9qNVflcryBEVuQxEmuO4DCIgYDoj_Fdr4ZiLjVuUCSVGXG-NKXd2mheaAh_znJOdphOuc5h7nRMdjl6OtfZ3Hv3oDUKqeuRzJ3vqnf6HdnaXQHfKmwL6rif_-ilXWr5v9IthFXDqSmoI1WKSBp-YA5Bq7WQbeUNDH3meQxau2ow62nejZFwOzrgJl7mSNiIQypdbGMI4N1MjDpr7rhTrn60DRngDDHeQ=w1192-h908-no

Last edited:
Thanks Derek , I know it is a bit biased asking on here and I do like the Supersport but the VFR is just an awesome bike too.
I can get one with full luggage, quick shifter, hugger, OEM panniers and Akrapovich exhaust and still have £3500 change from a Supersport s.

Is it THAT much of a better bike especially if you add the extras to it, probably about another £2000 making a similar specc'd Ducati £5500 dearer than the Honda I've been offered.

MEGA OFFER!! *Choose from either FREE Ducati panniers or FREE Ducati Akrapovic slip on exhaust silencers when you buy a brand new Ducati Supersport S or Supersport standard model from Ducati Coventry. That's over £1000.00 worth of free Ducati goodies!
*Offer only applies to our current stock and is only available for a limited time while current stock lasts. Call us on 02476 335 300

MEGA OFFER!! *Choose from either FREE Ducati panniers or FREE Ducati Akrapovic slip on exhaust silencers when you buy a brand new Ducati Supersport S or Supersport standard model from Ducati Coventry. That's over £1000.00 worth of free Ducati goodies!
*Offer only applies to our current stock and is only available for a limited time while current stock lasts. Call us on 02476 335 300

The Akrapovic slip-ons are just cosmetic. They replace the outlets on the stock exhaust and look better but have no effect on performance or sound as most of the silencing is done by the cat which is retained. The panniers are stupid money but I had to buy themas there were no other options at the time and I had a European trip booked. There are now panniers for the Monster 851 and 1200 available from SW and Givi that will fit for a fraction of Ducati's price,

Brian, great believer that choosing a bike is a personal choice and should be not swayed on what the salesman tells you or other peoples opinions
Both bikes will have their good points and bad points but in the end its all about how it feels when you ride it and not what anyone else thinks or likes
I would get a test ride on both and then decide on how you feel after riding it, the support package they are offering and most importantly the best deal for you

Got to agree with David. It's a very personal thing, what's right for you might be completely wrong for someone else and vice versa.

That's what I'll do, test rides.

Thing is the VFR is right there with a phantom budget I have and the Supersport is way beyond and telling me not to a buy another bike and get my KTM finished.

Do I want 2 Ducatis on the road ? not sure........

Vfr

one of the vfr models at the time was voted the best sports tourer in the world. save yourself a small fortune and buy a v-tec

Brian,
Guess whats just landed in my garage?...........................
Give you a clue its not Japanese. :D

VFR nicely made, but it's an old bike and rides like it. Suspension from the ark.
It might be cheaper but have you seen second hand values? They just dont sell so it might not be cheaper in the long run and soon to be obsolete too.

Both are great bikes and far able to do the job you want them to do. If you can ride both to make the emotive choice, then compare it against the financial choice and see which one has more yes ticks.

Both are great bikes and far able to do the job you want them to do. If you can ride both to make the emotive choice, then compare it against the financial choice and see which one has more yes ticks.
He bought a Super Sport 👀

VFR such a disappointing bike, suspension and frame from the steam age. Could have been so much better. Engine should have been 1000cc and the rest, including the riding position more up to date. Footrests so high it's so uncomfortable.
Supersport needed the Panigale V2 engine in it.

What surprised me about the first vtec vfr's was the weight quoted was 218kg, this was only 5kg less than the blackbird, the second gen supersport shows the weight as 210 kg's?

Last edited:
Vfr

one of the vfr models at the time was voted the best sports tourer in the world. save yourself a small fortune and buy a v-tec
That's the 800 Crossrunner I think. Basically an upright VFR. It's one of those bikes that when looked at on paper appears so soulless that you can't imagine why anyone would want one. Then you spend a day riding one and it so confounds your expectations that although it doesn't blow you away in any one area, at the end of the day you don't want to give it back. A sort of Japanese GS, if you like.

The key is to have a clear idea in your mind what you want the bike for and then test ride the two, at length and if possible back to back. And ideally more than once.

A mate of mine has had both & he really liked the Supersport S better than the VFR. The only thing he didn't like was the tank range, but as has been said earlier it will do around the 100 mile mark if tramping on a bit, which for a lot of us would be enough without having a rest !

He did make a few modifications to it to make it a bit more comfy, a taller screen, spacers to lift the handle bars about 10mm, hydraulic clutch modification, adjustable rearsets & bar-end mirrors, whereas I don't remember him doing anything to his VFR.

I had a vfr800 pre vtec which was a fantastic bike and a 3 month loan of one of the first lot of vtecs, not so much a great bike, the vtec particularly on the downshift, seemed to hold the higher revs longer than it should, a bit like a auto gearbox where you use the flappy paddles to downshift but the delay was noticable. I pressume later vtecs had this annoyance dialed out.

I have to be honest, I never got the supersport s. I wondered if it was a modern compromise to the no longer available st range in the same way the vfr1200 sought to replace the blackbird and vfr800 and failed woefully?

Back