• Don't leave it too late to get your limited edition 2022 Calendar, once they're gone, they're gone, and there's only a very few left now. If not already done so get your hands in your pockets and place an order please. All proceeds go towards the operational costs of your Forum. Simply click on your avatar, then select Account Upgrades and click on 2022 Calendar. This message will only self-destruct once we've sold out.

ST Headlight

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the st2 &4 widemouth frog headlight, for the st3 vfr style and if so, I pressume you would need a 3 style upper fairing as well, so do they fit?

John W

Yes you can, if you can get the bits.
You need the 05 on top fairing, screen, headlight, and support brackets.
Basically everything from the join to the side panels and up.

Pretty sure if you do a search, someone is the USA posted details and pictures on a different forum.

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
I did find this on the standard headlights but will now go searching for the conversion you mention (y)

John W

I didnt do the bi-zenon like that write up, but I did fit kits from a company called autolamps online into the standard headlight.
They were Lucas ignitors plus lamps with bases designed to fit the mount (H7 I think ?)
This is crucial with the projectors. If you just fit cheapo lamps the focal point of the lamp is in the wrong place, so you don't get good beam projection.

I ran them for 6 years while I had the bike. without issue I can't recall now if I took them off or sold it with them still fitted.

If you want better lights, this is by far the best way to go. Technology has moved on a bit since 2004, so the new HID kits tend to have separate ignitors and ballasts, makes them easier to tuck out the way.
If you want better looks, then I agree the top fairing / headlight assembly of the later bikes looks more modern, if a bit VFR-ish.

Oh, there was also a different top fairing and headlight offered before the newer style was released. I can't recall the details. It wasnt cheap, and still not that pretty. I can't remember now, it was 15 years ago and I've drunk several beers since then :giggle:

Derek

Elite Member
Subscriber
Be aware that HID lights will no longer pass an MOT unless original fitment even if the beam pattern is perfect! And as far as I know there has never been a bike with OEM HID.
"Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."
4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - MOT inspection manual: motorcycles - Guidance - GOV.UK

John W

Hi Derek, hope your well.

To be fair this was the law back in the mid 2000s when I fitted them.
I appreciate its potentially likely to fail an Mot, but so is a small number plate, or a set of noisy exhausts ;)

The point I made above about fitting lamps with correct focal length was for exactly that reason, the light source is where it needs to be, so the reflectors / projectors work correctly without light dispersion or splatter.

I do agree that if someone was to try to fit a D2S lamp into a headlight unit, unless they know what they are doing it will not work right.

I did a lot of research prior to fitting the kit. Spoke with the company at length. At the time I was involved in working out how to fit these to certain cars. Some worked great, others less so. On the ST they work great.

I had HID units on my ST4S for 6 years, and then fitted a pair (later version with separate ballasts and ignitors) to my 2010 multi. They got moved to my 2012 multi when I bought it, and are still there, working fine.
So in 16 years on 3 bikes, I've never had an issue with any MoT place. The wiring all looks 'right', not messed about with ;)
In practice the new Multi LED headlights are just as bright, if not brighter than the HID lamps. Some of this is due to their colour.

All the best,
John.

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
I know they upgraded the hid mot rules but I have to say in all of the bikes I've had mot'd, the bike tester has never had an issue with hid and one or two have agreed that that they are beneficial if fitted properly. I tended to go for the 6000k kits as they seemed to reach peak white with the slightest of blue tinges similar to audi's but on average I found between 4500k-6000k was the range to see it as a benefit. Anything higher seems to go blue purple and attracts plod and anything lower seemed to be more yellower.

The full led lights on my new car if would say are far more "fuck me that's bright" than any one the bikes I've hid converted but as you say Derek, they have updated the mot rules and on paper, they would fail the mot if the tester was of a mind too

Derek

Elite Member
Subscriber
Hi Derek, hope your well.

To be fair this was the law back in the mid 2000s when I fitted them.
I appreciate its potentially likely to fail an Mot, but so is a small number plate, or a set of noisy exhausts ;)

The point I made above about fitting lamps with correct focal length was for exactly that reason, the light source is where it needs to be, so the reflectors / projectors work correctly without light dispersion or splatter.

I do agree that if someone was to try to fit a D2S lamp into a headlight unit, unless they know what they are doing it will not work right.

I did a lot of research prior to fitting the kit. Spoke with the company at length. At the time I was involved in working out how to fit these to certain cars. Some worked great, others less so. On the ST they work great.

I had HID units on my ST4S for 6 years, and then fitted a pair (later version with separate ballasts and ignitors) to my 2010 multi. They got moved to my 2012 multi when I bought it, and are still there, working fine.
So in 16 years on 3 bikes, I've never had an issue with any MoT place. The wiring all looks 'right', not messed about with ;)
In practice the new Multi LED headlights are just as bright, if not brighter than the HID lamps. Some of this is due to their colour.

All the best,
John.
I'm fine John. Good to see you here.
I also went down the HID route when I had the ST4s, originally replacing the bulbs with HID equivalents which wasn't best but still significantly better than the OEM halogen. Later fitted a bi-xenon car unit into the headlight which was much better with instant hi beam. I never had any problems at MOT but don't know if that would be the case now, I know one of the local testers is a stickler for the rules and would certainly fail them.
When I swapped the ST for a Multi 1200, like you I fitted HIDs, but later swapped them for LEDs which were just as bright but didn't require the ballasts which were such pain to tuck away. I currently have LEDs fitted to the Supersport, the newly announced model has them as standard.
I know they upgraded the hid mot rules but I have to say in all of the bikes I've had mot'd, the bike tester has never had an issue with hid and one or two have agreed that that they are beneficial if fitted properly. I tended to go for the 6000k kits as they seemed to reach peak white with the slightest of blue tinges similar to audi's but on average I found between 4500k-6000k was the range to see it as a benefit. Anything higher seems to go blue purple and attracts plod and anything lower seemed to be more yellower.

The full led lights on my new car if would say are far more "fuck me that's bright" than any one the bikes I've hid converted but as you say Derek, they have updated the mot rules and on paper, they would fail the mot if the tester was of a mind too
I had 6,500K originally, which were great for being seen but subsequently changed to 4,300K which were better for seeing with.

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
I have seen something like a plastic insert that makes the wide mouth frog headlight of the st2 and most of the st4's look quite reasonable and suit the bike better but I've yet to find where you can buy them?

Image 21 - 2001 Ducati ST4 Yellow 25,705 Miles Panniers

Derek

Elite Member
Subscriber
That's the ST comfort fairing kit. It comprised a different higher screen and a slightly different top fairing with a cover to split the headlight into two sections. It is just the same crap headlight though.

Barry Hell

Elite Member
Subscriber
That's the ST comfort fairing kit. It comprised a different higher screen and a slightly different top fairing with a cover to split the headlight into two sections. It is just the same crap headlight though.
70's headlight on a 00's bike 😁 I always thought it was just my crap eyesight 😳