Snap On 3/8 drive

We've both genuine and fake Makita, horses for courses really.
Fakes include the small 12V reciprocation saw and the small 18V blower.
For example the blower is circa £70 bare and the copy is under £20.
They are tools we use everyday. They get dropped and break, so having copy ones makes that slightly easier to swallow.
The fakes use more batteries and aren't quite as good.... but nearly.

The fake recip' is used when we know it is going to get soaked, spray with loads of WD40.
Note sometimes they catch fire, but water puts that out.
Afterwards we blow dry it and spray with WD40 again.... so far so good.
Again £23 against £80

We've now four (edited from three) battery Impact drivers in common use and a few air impact tools for the workshop.
1/2 drive, 3/8 drive and two different 1/4" Hex - all different tools for different jobs.

Now Maktec is nasty shite.... I've tried a few.... think cheaper than Aldi quality.
Plastic gearboxes, just 'orrible 'orrible.
Life is too short for shite tools, wine or Coffee.

Last edited:
Makes sense then. Does anyone know if Makita do a similar one? I’ve a load of makita 18v batteries and would want to switch brands now.
Yes they do,
This is the closest they do in 18V
1641387092140.png

Makita DTD154Z 18V Li-Ion LXT Brushless Impact Driver - Batteries and Charger Not Included, Blue
Very nice bit of kit, but note the 1/4" HEX drive.
I don't believe they make a 3/8 drive unit.

We've both genuine and fake Makita, horses for courses really.
Fakes include the small 12V reciprocation saw and the small 18V blower.
For example the blower is circa £70 bare and the copy is under £20.
They are tools we use everyday. They get dropped and break, so having copy ones makes that slightly easier to swallow.
The fakes use more batteries and aren't quite as good.... but nearly.

The fake recip' is used when we know it is going to get soaked, spray with loads of WD40.
Note sometimes they catch fire, but water puts that out.
Afterwards we blow dry it and spray with WD40 again.... so far so good.
Again £23 against £80

We've now three battery Impact drivers in common use and a few air impact tools for the workshop.
1/2 drive, 3/8 drive and 1/4" Hex - all different tools for different jobs.

Now Maktec is nasty shite.... I've tried a few.... think cheaper than Aldi quality.
Plastic gearboxes, just 'orrible 'orrible.
Life is too short for shite tools, wine or Coffee.
My Aldi impact driver has surprisingly pretty good build quality, I’ve only used it 3 times though….it would be no good for a tradesman but it does me fine.
3 year warranty as well, I would have used it 9 times by the time that runs out.

2022-01-05 14.15.34.jpg

Although made in China the Snap on enjoys all the warranties that Snap on offer.
It is a very well made bit of kit, if you can locate who actually makes it I'm sure you'll get a very capable tool for far less money.

I’ve got corded (no name brand £40) a total beast, 450NM rating but feels like it could pull the nuts off John Holmes.!
Looks like the pic below.

And a Ryobi cordless, rated 300 NM (£135)which only once has failed to spin off the Mutley rear wheel but the no brander pissed it.Also got a couple of Ryobi cordless impact drivers which I use on small stuff with the 1/4-3/8-1/2” socket holders.
Used to get them from my old job when taken off display.
F820A50E-8EFB-45F7-808E-74F0211FD393.jpeg
ECB5B64E-F23E-4A83-AF1B-168B46548D5D.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got this one. It would tear off a contenders arm in worlds strongest man. It's the yorkie of impact guns. I'll sell it if anyone wants it as I don't have a SSSA anymore.
It's our go to machine when we weren't asking nicely.

I forgot to update, but my gun eventually turned up, albeit from another supplier. However, in many ways it was worth the wait, it's a beast of a thing & had the problem nut off within seconds of pulling the trigger !!
So, well worth the cost even if I never uese it again !! 😂
DSCN4509.JPG

Back