SF848 (13reg) not starting

Obelix

Subscriber
Looking for some advice before i loose it completely.
Went out on Wednesday for a 40mn ride. managed to start the bike twice with no problems. Met up some friends and 90mn later, impossible to fire the bike up....NOTHING
There is a strong starter relay click and the bike ran fine once bump started.
Looked at any corrosion on leads (easy start cables earlier this year)
no fault code registered
battery is 12 months old, load checked ok. Also tried jump start pack and jump start cable but no joy there.
Not checked fuses yet
Is there something obvious I am missing?
Thanks in advance

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
Check and clean all connections leading to and from the starter. Then go through your fuses and solenoids. Given you've tried to bump start and jump start it I'd be looking at the starter motor incase it's failed or has become tired and no longer has the force to turn the bike over.

@Chris, @Nelly, @Derek

West Cork Paul

Elite Member
Subscriber
There is a strong starter relay click and the bike ran fine once bump started.
This implies not enough oomph from the battery to start the bike let alone turn it over.
battery is 12 months old, load checked ok. Also tried jump start pack and jump start cable but no joy there
Did you check the battery voltage at the same time you press the starter button? Or just as it’s sitting there doing nothing?

Is/was your jump start pack fully healthy? In effect these are just another battery which could be suffering from the same issues as the main battery ie too low a voltage.

If it were me I’d start by looking closely at the battery. If that’s not holding its charge or is no being charged, hence it started you ride 40min then it wouldn’t start then look at the charging system but first start with the battery. It should be c13v with no load and not drop below about 11v when you press the starter button.

WAYNE

Elite Member
Subscriber
This implies not enough oomph from the battery to start the bike let alone turn it over.

Did you check the battery voltage at the same time you press the starter button? Or just as it’s sitting there doing nothing?

Is/was your jump start pack fully healthy? In effect these are just another battery which could be suffering from the same issues as the main battery ie too low a voltage.

If it were me I’d start by looking closely at the battery. If that’s not holding its charge or is no being charged, hence it started you ride 40min then it wouldn’t start then look at the charging system but first start with the battery. It should be c13v with no load and not drop below about 11v when you press the starter button.
That is a hell of a lot of start and starting!!(y)

Obelix

Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies.
After a bit more troubleshooting yesterday, i believe the culprit was some corrosion on the + starter feed.
I cleaned up the connection and it started up fine!
It is amazing how corrosion find its way to bits although it is bathing in grease.

Exige

Elite Member
Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies.
After a bit more troubleshooting yesterday, i believe the culprit was some corrosion on the + starter feed.
I cleaned up the connection and it started up fine!
It is amazing how corrosion find its way to bits although it is bathing in grease.
The Dielectric Gel goes on the terminal face between the joint and not around the outside once connected - this fills in the micro cavities on the surface of the terminal preventing oxidisation of the joint - if applied correctly it should last between services or longer :)

Obelix

Subscriber
The Dielectric Gel goes on the terminal face between the joint and not around the outside once connected - this fills in the micro cavities on the surface of the terminal preventing oxidisation of the joint - if applied correctly it should last between services or longer :)
yep...this is where i got it wrong i think :) thanks for the tip, will redo the connection properly