Route recommendation required, Sheffield to Birkenhead

West Cork Paul

Man in a Shed
Subscriber
Heaven knows if anyone will even see this post in this far flung, dusty, corner of the Forum but it seems the most apt place to post it.

I'll be in the UK next week - might start a thread on that 🤔 - and will have to travel from Sheffield (City Centre) to Birkenhead (to catch a ferry at 22.30hrs) on Sat 18th June. I'd rather not just jump on the M-way network and don't want to go through Manchester if at all possible. I reckon the A57 from Sheffeild to Glossop looks promising but after that 🤷‍♂️?

Suggestions welcome from those that live in that part of the world please, @Birdie @wroughtironron @Exige are a few people I think live somewhere around there.

Heaven knows if anyone will even see this post in this far flung, dusty, corner of the Forum but it seems the most apt place to post it.

I'll be in the UK next week - might start a thread on that 🤔 - and will have to travel from Sheffield (City Centre) to Birkenhead (to catch a ferry at 22.30hrs) on Sat 18th June. I'd rather not just jump on the M-way network and don't want to go through Manchester if at all possible. I reckon the A57 from Sheffeild to Glossop looks promising but after that 🤷‍♂️?

Suggestions welcome from those that live in that part of the world please, @Birdie @wroughtironron @Exige are a few people I think live somewhere around there.
No-one is going to admit to coming from Birkenhead, you want to get there at 22:29:59 to be safe :ROFLMAO:

Could thread your way on the A roads via Buxton to Chester. Then head north to Birkenhead.

There again, at nearly £2/litre a more direct route would be better.

Once you get between Manchester and Liverpool Paul, you hit all the distribution centres along the M62 corridor/East Lancs Road.

Personally, I'd use the M62 and get there in good time - Liverpool Dockside has been renovated and features loads of cultural stuff, unlike Birkenhead

1654948069612.png

That'd be my back yard pretty much

You need to be using the A57 Snake Pass really. Watch yourself though - its a 50 limit and the plod are regularly speed trapping on it and use unmarked vehicles (even at night).

Being fair though its about as quick as you wanna be going really, more so when its dark.

It carries heavies as well as dawdling cars. Lots of solid white lines and lots of accidents for the idiots. It's generally well surfaced and if its not too busy, it is fun to ride.

That'll drop you into Glossop, then on into Hollingworth. You should pick up the M60 and then M56 from there ...no point trying to stay off the motorways from there really

There is no point doing scenic for the sake of it when its dark and you have all on seeing where the feck you are going :) If it were daytime, then yeah use the back roads...but not when its later on. Anywhere in Derbyshire is fair game for speed traps too.

If you were to use that Isle of Sky route (A635 I think) after Holmfirth- your arse will barely be in the saddle. Bumpy does not come close, its like a feckin MX track as you get to the middle.

You'd also get to pass where the Moors murderers buried their victims on Saddleworth moor. Its still eerie even now.

That route drops you into Greenfield and Ashton ...where there are speed camera's everywhere...and I do mean everywhere. They paint the bastard things army green too, so you dont see them. (Same in Hollingworth mind) Watch your speed.
:(

Last edited:
Eyup, place to stop here in a leafy idyll of Sheffield, if you need it, for the night or just a cuppa.
If you’ve got all day to get from Sheffield to Birkenhead, you ought to think about coming South of Manchester, toward Chapel en le frith/ Buxton, Cat and Fiddle (or Wildboar Clough), something like this:-

97CB601F-8C10-426A-8604-0E4D03C2D232.png

I could refine this for you if you’re in a bimbling mood. The blue dot is my house.
The Snake is a bit pants these days, there are three sets of traffic lights around the landslips and you end up in the Glossop/Tintwistle perineum traffic conundrum.

Last edited:
Eyup, place to stop here in a leafy idyll of Sheffield, if you need it, for the night or just a cuppa.
If you’ve got all day to get from Sheffield to Birkenhead, you ought to think about coming South of Manchester, toward Chapel en le frith/ Buxton, Cat and Fiddle (or Wildboar Clough), something like this:-

View attachment 51146
I could refine this for you if you’re in a bimbling mood. The blue dot is my house.
The Snake is a bit pants these days, there are three sets of traffic lights around the landslips and you end up in the Glossop/Tintwistle perineum traffic conundrum.
I've been on snake pass and the cat and fiddle recently and the latter would be my choice all day long.

This is the scenic route I'd take. :unsure: However, I can see the obvious problem and there's no getting away from it, ................it does use the M6. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot 2022-06-11 at 18.50.12.png

That route from Don Kiddick looks good to me, a nice bit of road from Buxton over to Congleton , if you wanted to say you've done the Cat and Fiddle you could go from Buxton to Macclesfield then Knutsford and down through Northwich to Chester but thats just tinkering with a good route from Don.

Back