riding in groups - be careful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a case last year - nothing so serious - where someone in a group was caught speeding and they gave points to the ride leader, even though they hadn't actually caught him speeding? It was handed down by a magistrates court and at the time I remember thinking it was very dodgy indeed. It implies that each person is not in control of their own bike / car, but somehow inexplicably compelled to ride in exactly the same way as the first person in the group.

Googling this case seems to suggest that the police think was some very bad/dangerous riding going on and I guess the CPS believe that contributed directly to the fatal accident.

Food for thought certainly.

239desmo

Is it nearly bedtime?
I am always sceptical of these type of banner headlines and remember the case Miles refers to where apparently Police had "clocked" one rider and the others were charged because they had been trying to keep up or similar.
After this story there were sugestions of "setting a precedent" etc but I don't recall ever hearing any more cases which makes me think that what was reported was far from what had happened.
Problem is that unless you are in court and hear the full story the press condense what is said and the way it is edited can suggest, perhaps innocently, a scenario which is far short of accurate.

RobbieT

Elite Member
Wasn't there a case last year - nothing so serious - where someone in a group was caught speeding and they gave points to the ride leader, even though they hadn't actually caught him speeding? It was handed down by a magistrates court and at the time I remember thinking it was very dodgy indeed. It implies that each person is not in control of their own bike / car, but somehow inexplicably compelled to ride in exactly the same way as the first person in the group.

Googling this case seems to suggest that the police think was some very bad/dangerous riding going on and I guess the CPS believe that contributed directly to the fatal accident.

Food for thought certainly.

Yeah I think you are right, and I think it was also apparent in the other case mentioned by alane that witnesses had seen other riders in the group pulling wheelies and overtaking "dangerously" and so the police were able to "prove" that the whole group had been riding dangerously.
Not that how they had previously been riding had anything to do with the actual accident though.......

rockjock620

Yeah I think you are right, and I think it was also apparent ...

So you don't actually KNOW anything? If you don't "know", then don't speculate!

I am very close to the Sherburn incident (the dead were two of my friends) and there is a lot of supposition, best guessing, opinions and so on floating about on the net. There is a lot more to know about this case than just reading a few postings, so please refrain from global comments like this. I shall probably be going to court to see the outcomes. A long discussion on The Rev Counter forum has been well contributed, go there and get some more "facts" - at least then you will be slightly more informed.

P.S. - it's got nothing to do with riding in groups, it's all about riding like a knob!

rockjock620

I am always sceptical of these type of banner headlines and remember the case Miles refers to where apparently Police had "clocked" one rider and the others were charged because they had been trying to keep up or similar.
After this story there were sugestions of "setting a precedent" etc but I don't recall ever hearing any more cases which makes me think that what was reported was far from what had happened.
Problem is that unless you are in court and hear the full story the press condense what is said and the way it is edited can suggest, perhaps innocently, a scenario which is far short of accurate.

They did me, sticky and dunc as a "three" some years ago now. The threat was "we'll do you all for the same speed as we didn't clock you all "individually". "if you don't agree, it might be worse for you". We all "coughed" for that to shut plod up and get on our way. None of us had much to lose, it was just £60 and three points - but we reckoned they were completely wrong, just coudn't be arsed to make a case.

centurysup

They did me, sticky and dunc as a "three" some years ago now. The threat was "we'll do you all for the same speed as we didn't clock you all "individually". "if you don't agree, it might be worse for you". We all "coughed" for that to shut plod up and get on our way. None of us had much to lose, it was just £60 and three points - but we reckoned they were completely wrong, just coudn't be arsed to make a case.

I got done a few years back (by car cops) for being the front rider in a group of three who were "making good progress". Like you, I couldn't be arsed checking whether this was legal or not.

To be fair, I also get let off once (by bike cops) when way over the limit because it was "early in the season" and their new boss "wanted to engage with motorcyclists rather than ticket them". They did warn me it would have been a lot different had I been caught by their car based colleagues. :eek:

239desmo

Is it nearly bedtime?

I would guess a solicitor could probably argue successfully against the charge but as you say the cost in money and time would far outway the fixed penalty charge.
If it was a case of potentially losing your licence then it may be a different story.

RobbieT

Elite Member
I am very close to the Sherburn incident (the dead were two of my friends)

Firstly, apologies regarding the loss of your friends in this incident, it must be horrible to still be going through the trauma of the situation and it still not being completely resolved.

However, I really do not appreciate neither the tone nor suggestiveness of your comments.
So you don't actually KNOW anything? If you don't "know", then don't speculate!
There is a lot more to know about this case than just reading a few postings, so please refrain from global comments like this. I shall probably be going to court to see the outcomes. A long discussion on The Rev Counter forum has been well contributed, go there and get some more "facts" - at least then you will be slightly more informed.

Correct, I don't actually know anything factual about this incident. That’s why I said "I think" twice, I was never suggesting I knew anything about the case. It was just easier for me to say this than state that I remember reading it somewhere sometime (but I don't remember) etc. I am perfectly within my right to speculate on this forum, given that every other post on DuN somewhere probably has someone speculating about something (take the Ducati withdrawing from WSBK- lots of speculation there) but I don't see you jumping in to tell all posters there to stop speculating!!! Even if 10 people read 10 different reported news/web articles on the same story you would still get several slight variations on the story, so even If I were to go and check out every article related to an incident you would still get variations on the events that occurred, so all the readers can do is speculate about the information they have been given. That’s exactly what I did.
I appreciate you may not like the speculation because the Sherburn incident is personal to you, but I would have had much more respect for you if you had just replied that I was wrong in my information and politely corrected me, as opposed to telling me what I can and can't do on here (speculate, make global comments etc)!

I have never heard of the Rev Counter forum, but now I know it exists I will be sure to check it out, but am unclear as to why you decided put the word facts in speech marks ("facts") as opposed to just direct me to the site? And yes I might become more informed, but I didn't realize there was a rule as to how informed about a topic we have to be nowadays before we can make a post on this forum. Or does this just apply to me?

P.S. - it's got nothing to do with riding in groups, it's all about riding like a knob!
I agree, but did I say something to suggest it was about riding in groups and not like a knob?
Not sure why you put this at the end:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.