Raid the Lochs - Report!

bigtwin

Member
Guys,

As discussed with some of you at RTL, the weekend after RTL 06 a couple of mates and I headed 'up north' for a weeks trip. Along the way, we:

  • used some of the routes recommended by Borderduc - thanks for the suggestions David (I tried to call you from our overnighter at Melrose but couldn’t get through!) (the Cairndow to Lochgilphead to Oban was particularly good (because the forecast wasn’t so good for the afternoon we set of at 0630 and were back in the hotel for breakfast at 0930 – buoyed up by the mornings rideout we headed for Ducati Glasgow but got well and truly soaked on our way back),
  • dropped in by rockjock620 (thanks for the coffee Pete) :D
  • visited Ducati Glasgow (thanks for the coffee and biscuits Martin!) – my mate is now contemplating a Monster or Multistrada!
  • Did the RTL 06 Saturday ride-out in an anticlockwise direction (with lunch at Ravenside!)
  • Saw more rain than was ideal (4 days out of 8 were verging on the torrential!) :rain:
  • Had a whale of a time! :thumbs: :booze:
Roll on next time!

Ian
 
Pleasure's all mine - it was a bit warm that day though! Glad you had a good trip, despite the weather. BTW I did get out on the Sunday, last minute with a couple of others - we rode past the Heifer at about 8.50, thought about you having breakfast - did you hear us?
 
rockjock620 said:
Pleasure's all mine - it was a bit warm that day though! Glad you had a good trip, despite the weather. BTW I did get out on the Sunday, last minute with a couple of others - we rode past the Heifer at about 8.50, thought about you having breakfast - did you hear us?
Pete,

I do believe that we did - you were travelling east to west. Were the others on non ducatis? We were up bright and early for an 0800 brekky but they didn't start serving until 0830.

When we did leave we encountered a bike accident on the B road from Hawes to ?? (heading SW) on our way to devils.

BTW - I got the whisky I was looking for - they didn't have it in stock but had it ready for our return leg!

PS I was going to get in touch with you for advice on Mountain Bikes - Our company is participating in the Government's scheme to encourage more people to cycle (to work?). It is quite an attractive scheme where I could be looking to spend up to £1000 on a mountain bike. Only problem is that it has to be sourced through Halfords!

Ian
 
yes there were two japs, a mille and a monster 600. Didn't hear about the bump at all. That road is Hawes-Ingleton - great innit? That, along with the A684 (to Hawes) and the A6108 (Ripon-Masham-Leyburn) form the best part of Bike Mags 440 test route - you can see why! :D

Isn't the Ribblehead Viaduct impressive? As well as the up/down twisties before it and the elevated crests afterwards of course! :D :D

That forms one of my Tuesday evening rideouts, back to Skipton then Harrogate - a single tank of gas - it doesn't get any better! :D :D :D

The bikes - you could always try the tack that Halfords don't do a bike that suits your needs - ask for a custom build then I could do whatever you wish - if they'll play ball! :D
 
Yes we paused at the viaduct - impressive!

Re the bikes, I will need to make some enquires but I'm pretty sure that there will be no flexibility - Halfords or nothing!
 
Sorry I missed you on your trip up here but it sounds like it clashed with my trip to Catalunya MotoGP, hence the telephone silence. Shame about the soggy weather but there's always the Midgie Masher Flypast in August.

Glad you managed to track down a bottle of Linkwood (?), which I recall you said you were after.
 
DB, Hope you had a great trip (bikeless?) to the MotoGP. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the race but I gather it was eventful!

I did manage to get a bottle of Mortlach so I can now be a little more relaxed aboutthe the frequency of my sampling the contents of my first bottle now that I have fresh stocks! We did try to get a second bottle for my mate (who is just about to receive his share of a cask of Glenrothes that he invested in 10 years ago - he was intrigued by my quest for the Mortlach!) but, unfortunately, they could only supply a single bottle. I have promised him the pleasure of a sample!

Ian
 
Now I remember it was Mortlach you were after, not Linkwood. If you are after some more and you are coming to the Masher in August give me plenty of warning and I could try and track down some more. The clan lives up Elgin way, near to whisky epicentre you might say..
 
I have planted the seed of a visit to the Midgie Masher to my mate who was after the second bottle of Mortlach and is contemplating trading in his Triumph to get a Multistrada. It has given him a taget date to have the deal done so you never know. The possibility of a bottle of Mortlach may be enough to seal the commitment!
 
bigtwin said:
I have planted the seed of a visit to the Midgie Masher to my mate who was after the second bottle of Mortlach and is contemplating trading in his Triumph to get a Multistrada. It has given him a taget date to have the deal done so you never know. The possibility of a bottle of Mortlach may be enough to seal the commitment!

Bigtwin, if you are intending to do the MM let me know as Lurcio and I are also doing it - we could cruise (?) up as a team!
 
Back
Top Bottom